Charging leisure battery concerns

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi I'm needing to charge my 110v leisure battery removed from my cvan. I had it charging using my recently bought maypole 4v smart charger in my front living room but then read concerns about charging indoors and gassing, giving me the jitters! I then moved it outside into a coal shed but this contains a fridge so possible source of ignition if there was a gas build up. Gah! So I'm thinking I could put it in the garage but there's no mains so i'd need to run an extension lead. Would this be safe? Just concerned about leaving it overnight. Any other suggestions? Realise I'm way over thinking this but a tad nervous first time trying to charge a battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi I'm needing to charge my 110v leisure battery removed from my cvan. I had it charging using my recently bought maypole 4v smart charger in my front living room but then read concerns about charging indoors and gassing, giving me the jitters! I then moved it outside into a coal shed but this contains a fridge so possible source of ignition if there was a gas build up. Gah! So I'm thinking I could put it in the garage but there's no mains so i'd need to run an extension lead. Would this be safe? Just concerned about leaving it overnight. Any other suggestions? Realise I'm way over thinking this but a tad nervous first time trying to charge a battery.
No problem using an extension lead in the garage. Relatively little hydrogen is discharged and it permeates away very quickly in ventilated spaces.

Reactions: joelmb1
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Nothing wrong about being cautious,however your battery will only gas off when it's being overcharged or during discharge.Note - only during overcharge - not during normal charge
The amount of gas (volume) given off per cell will be very small and when you check the volume of the room or space where the battery is being charged you will probably find the percent of battery gas volume to room/garage volume will be infinitesmally small.I don't think you need to worry about charging in the garage.
One thing you left out of your considerations is the charger itself.Also you have not taken into account number of ventilation air changes where the battery is being charged.

Reactions: joelmb1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Nothing wrong about being cautious,however your battery will only gas off when it's being overcharged or during discharge.Note - only during overcharge - not during normal charge
The amount of gas (volume) given off per cell will be very small and when you check the volume of the room or space where the battery is being charged you will probably find the percent of battery gas volume to room/garage volume will be infinitesmally small.I don't think you need to worry about charging in the garage.
One thing you left out of your considerations is the charger itself.Also you have not taken into account number of ventilation air changes where the battery is being charged.
I’ve absolutely no idea how many ventilation air changes I get in my garage. The best source must be under the Garador or out via the roof tiles gaps, but I have no qualms about leaving the battery on charge/ float for lengthy periods whilst in the garage because compared to the volume of the garage any hydrogen volume is very small and it diffuses very rapidly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts