Cheap battery over winter

Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the forum. I keep my van in storage and the solar panel doesn't keep the battery topped up during winter. Is there any reason why I couldn't by a £50 car battery to use during winter when the van is in storage so I charge my leisure battery at home? Thanks, Mike

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the forum. I keep my van in storage and the solar panel doesn't keep the battery topped up during winter. Is there any reason why I couldn't by a £50 car battery to use during winter when the van is in storage so I charge my leisure battery at home? Thanks, Mike
What size is the solar panel? We have a 100w and no issue with it keeping the battery topped up. Do you have a MPPT controller fitted for the solar panel?

If the current solar panel is not adequate enough to keep a leisure battery topped up, it probably would have issues topping up the car battery. Also if the car battery goes too low, there may be issues recharging it.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I assume that your storage is inside (out of sunlight) otherwise a reasonable sized solar panel would keep it topped up - the battery drain in storage should be negligible.

There's no reason why you couldn't use any 12v battery, but lead acid batteries don't like being fully discharged. A £50 car battery would probably be half the capacity of your leisure battery so would last half as long. Below a certain level the plates begin to 'sulphate' and the battery may not recharge - this applies to your leisure battery as well assuming that it's AGM.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
What size is the solar panel? We have a 100w and no issue with it keeping the battery topped up. Do you have a MPPT controller fitted for the solar panel?

If the current solar panel is not adequate enough to keep a leisure battery topped up, it probably would have issues topping up the car battery. Also if the car battery goes too low, there may be issues recharging it.
Hi, It's a 100w panel and the controller is a Sargent 3amp Solar RegulatorProduct no: SSR-3A which I'm guessing is a budget model. The van is booked for a service in a couple of weeks so I'll ask them to check the panel etc are working OK. Will look at the mppt controllers again as they're not exorbitant, compared to a new leisure battery!

Mar 15, 2024
Visit site
I assume that your storage is inside (out of sunlight) otherwise a reasonable sized solar panel would keep it topped up - the battery drain in storage should be negligible.

There's no reason why you couldn't use any 12v battery, but lead acid batteries don't like being fully discharged. A £50 car battery would probably be half the capacity of your leisure battery so would last half as long. Below a certain level the plates begin to 'sulphate' and the battery may not recharge - this applies to your leisure battery as well assuming that it's AGM.
Thanks, it's stored outside so thinking there might be something up with the solar charging system.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, It's a 100w panel and the controller is a Sargent 3amp Solar RegulatorProduct no: SSR-3A which I'm guessing is a budget model. The van is booked for a service in a couple of weeks so I'll ask them to check the panel etc are working OK. Will look at the mppt controllers again as they're not exorbitant, compared to a new leisure battery!
The 100w panel should be more than adequate to keep the 12v battery topped up. As you state there may be an issue with the controller. I have read very good reports about Sargent being very helpful in resolving issues. Give them a ring on Monday and have a chat.

Reactions: tartan-caravan
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Firstly, a 12v car battery will be fine for the purposes you have described.

A 3 amp solar charge controller is way undersized for a 100 amp solar panel.

A 10 amp solar charge controller would suffice (theoritecally this is still very slightly undersized but you will rarely if ever see maximum output from your solar panel). Having too large a capacity solar charge controller can have detrimental effects. I would suggest not having anything greater than a 20 amp controller for your 100 watt panel.

It is generally accepted that mppt controllers bring little benefit on small solar arrays such as a 100 watt panel, however an mppt controller would be especially advantageous if you decided to expand your solar array.

With that in mind I link some 20 amp solar charge controller options:

PWM 20 amp solar charge controller

MPPT 20 amp without bluetooth

MPPT 20 amp with bluetooth

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts