Checking my tyres on my Volkswagen Tiguan 4motion 2.0 TDI DSG

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have owned this car new from September 2018 it went through it MOT ok in June but lately been worried about the tyres that are Hankook would it be advisable to have them check the only thing my car only done 12,650 miles .
Any information would be appreciated .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have owned this car new from September 2018 it went through it MOT ok in June but lately been worried about the tyres that are Hankook would it be advisable to have them check the only thing my car only done 12,650 miles .
What’s your concern with the tyres. At 3 years old and 12600 miles they are good for a lot more use. Do they need rotating to even out wear. Hankooks are a quality brand fitted OEM to leading car makes including MB.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What’s your concern with the tyres. At 3 years old and 12600 miles they are good for a lot more use. Do they need rotating to even out wear. Hankooks are a quality brand fitted OEM to leading car makes including MB.
The front tyres look rather worn around the edges that why thinking of checking

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The front tyres look rather worn around the edges that why thinking of checking
Worth checking. Often wear at both edges indicates they have been run under pressure. Or perhaps if single edge wear alignment is out. I have a four wheel alignment check each year. If no adjustments required it’s quite cheap. Full adjustment near £60. But thats rarely required.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Worth checking. Often wear at both edges indicates they have been run under pressure. Or perhaps if single edge wear alignment is out. I have a four wheel alignment check each year. If no adjustments required it’s quite cheap. Full adjustment near £60. But thats rarely required.
The tyre light comes on the dash when they are low and i get them pump back up where they should be but probably look into the wheel alignment thanks for your input

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had Hankook K115 as original tyres on My Santa Fe. I had done 43k miles, with 2.5 mm left. The edges wear a fair bit due to the number of roundabout here in Milton Keynes. My tyre pressure sensors will illuminate at about 30 psi . Normal pressure cold 33 psi.
Just about to fit Hankook K117's.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The tyre light comes on the dash when they are low and i get them pump back up where they should be but probably look into the wheel alignment thanks for your input
If you get the tyre light on regularly, you're driving around with low pressures which will cause excessive wear on the shoulders - not sure how practical it is for you but the pressures need checking, and adjusting, regularly - the tyre light is really to warn you of slow punctures!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you get the tyre light on regularly, you're driving around with low pressures which will cause excessive wear on the shoulders - not sure how practical it is for you but the pressures need checking, and adjusting, regularly - the tyre light is really to warn you of slow punctures!
Totally agree. I check my tyres weekly along with oil, coolant and screenwash. Warning lights are precisely that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree. I check my tyres weekly along with oil, coolant and screenwash. Warning lights are precisely that.
I used to regularly physically check my tyre pressures using a gauge, but now I simply look on my dashboard at the tyre pressures.
Unfortunately I cannot see the tyre pressure for the spare wheel although if the pressure does drop, the warning light comes on.
In the past 3 years I think I have checked the pressure of the spare wheel twice and both times did not require any added pressure.
I wonder how many other people who have a spare wheel check the pressure of the spare wheel even if it is a space saver?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roger i think the light on the dash has been on once I check the tyres and they had gone down so I corrected them to where they should be . (Normally the dealer will help me out with the tyres they check them my mobility not great )

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I used to regularly physically check my tyre pressures using a gauge, but now I simply look on my dashboard at the tyre pressures.
Unfortunately I cannot see the tyre pressure for the spare wheel although if the pressure does drop, the warning light comes on.
In the past 3 years I think I have checked the pressure of the spare wheel twice and both times did not require any added pressure.
I wonder how many other people who have a spare wheel check the pressure of the spare wheel even if it is a space saver?
The spare wheel gets checked on my car

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Roger i think the light on the dash has been on once I check the tyres and they had gone down so I corrected them to where they should be . (Normally the dealer will help me out with the tyres they check them my mobility not great )
Tyres are supposed to be checked at least once a week, but at the very least once a month. OH connects up the compressor while I "supervise" as bending is an issue for me.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Tyres are supposed to be checked at least once a week, but at the very least once a month. OH connects up the compressor while I "supervise" as bending is an issue for me.
Our cars would have to be checked at a petrol station and we use a pump i can put in the money in and then my wife helps me out

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My TPMS doesn’t display pressure. I check the two space savers quarterly but rarely do they require an inflation.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if I wanted a tyre compressor what do you suggest and what would be value for the money because we have two cars .any input would be great

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
if I wanted a tyre compressor what do you suggest and what would be value for the money because we have two cars .any input would be great
I’ve got a round Michelin one which my son handed up to me. A few years old now but does the job. But to be honest I tend to use my cycle track pump or a standard foot pump for the cars or the caravan. But neither of these would be suitable for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

If you are concerned about the condition of your tyres, and you are not able to check them yourself, then should find someone who can look at them.

It's impossible for anyone on a forum to to do it for you, as the actual tyres need to be seen to inspect them.

What price your peace of mind and safety.

However, assuming there is nothing wrong with the geometry of the car, it would be unusual for a tyre to be worn out at only 12,650 miles, but that does not take into account the possibility of tyre damage.

Just arrange a check at your local garage or tyre dealer.

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst a tyre compressor may be good thing to have, if you cant get down to inspect your tyres, you wont be able to get down to connect the compressor!

It is advisable to check the tyres before you try to re-inflate in case the partial deflation is the result of a fault or damage. - so your back to square one.

You need to get your priorities sorted. If you suspect you have worn tyres, a compressor is not going to resolve that. You need to get teh tyres checked. Even if their not worn out, the type of wear can indicate if there is a fault with the wheel alignment, or suspension.

Get the tyres checked by a reputable professional.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Whilst a tyre compressor may be good thing to have, if you cant get down to inspect your tyres, you wont be able to get down to connect the compressor!

It is advisable to check the tyres before you try to re-inflate in case the partial deflation is the result of a fault or damage. - so your back to square one.

You need to get your priorities sorted. If you suspect you have worn tyres, a compressor is not going to resolve that. You need to get teh tyres checked. Even if their not worn out, the type of wear can indicate if there is a fault with the wheel alignment, or suspension.

Get the tyres checked by a reputable professional.
Hi Prof Thanks for your input if i cannot get down I think my son will help me out i have booked it in at my local dealer on Monday they will check it for me and might advise to take to a tyre place

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Latest update car been at the dealer check the tyres and ,tracking every thing passed with flying colours The tyre pressures has been reduce because we are not towing now until April 2022 .
He check the tyre tread on them so far ok so i am a happy bunny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts