Choice of tow bar

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I need advice on changing my tow bar. I have a new Vauxhall Zafira Tourer. I have a 2002 Bailey Ranger 470/4 which despite being old is immaculate. We are loathe to change the van but wondered if we should go for a different tow bar than our previous one. I ask this just incase we changed the caravan to a more uptodate one.Previous towbar was the flange type which suited the caravan. If we were to change the caravan in the future we would likely need an ALKO hitch. Any suggestions as to which way to go and if there are ways to adapt the current caravan set up? HELP ASAP PLEASE

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
It5's only the ball you may have to change - not the towbar. Were you to get a van with an Alko hitch you will need an Alko (type) ball to go with it. Ie:- a ball that has a slightly longer neck than a normal ball.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In addition to the Alko extended neck point do you want a 13 pin latest electric connection or per your caravan a 12n and 12s set up?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Just last year I fitted a flanged bolt-on towball to my new car. I've caravanned and fitted my own towbars for fifty years and I've always gone for the bolt-on flanged ball.. For many of the 50 years there was no alternative. But last summer, on a wet morning, I sat looking out of my caravan at a neighbour trying to install his detachable ball. At first he bent down to try. Then he got down on his knees - but obviously without success. Finally he got a groundsheet and laid on it, when at last he got the ball installed to his satisfaction. I thought I'd made the right decision.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I normally carry on old rubber car mat so if it is wet I can avoid getting my trousers wet when hitching.

Jaydug said:
Just last year I fitted a flanged bolt-on towball to my new car. I've caravanned and fitted my own towbars for fifty years and I've always gone for the bolt-on flanged ball.. For many of the 50 years there was no alternative. But last summer, on a wet morning, I sat looking out of my caravan at a neighbour trying to install his detachable ball. At first he bent down to try. Then he got down on his knees - but obviously without success. Finally he got a groundsheet and laid on it, when at last he got the ball installed to his satisfaction. I thought I'd made the right decision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts