Choosing a layout

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What advice would you give to a first-timer trying to choose the right layout of caravan? We're putting together a series of articles for beginners that start with this subject and would like to quote some ideas from the Forum. So, what advice would you give? Thanks in advance, Alex (editor)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alex

What do you need caravan for? Is it just a base, or will you spend large amounts of time in it. If there are 2 of you like us, I started with a 2 berth Award Daystar, fancied an end bathroom and had an Abbey Oxford then 416 Vogue GTS. However fancied a change of layout and went to a Ranger 500/5, found bathroom a bit cramped and now own a Provence. Still only 2 of us, but space to move around.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alex, I think this was more difficult than choosing which van!. As newcomers we looked at all layouts and got thoroughly confused. Being just the two of us we nearly went for a 2 berth, but then decided 4 berth would give us that extra space for little extra money and possible better resale value. Then of course...... which four berth?. We spoke to many experienced carvanners as possible and posted a question on the Forum - Fixed or Make-Up. Answers were almost 50/50. In the end we decided on Make-Up and so far are convinced we made the right choice. We purchased a Dethleffs DL540 and find it superb and have really enjoyed our first few trips. If you need any more info GF289@aol.com

Regards

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm looking for general advice for any kind of first-timer - whether it's a young couple with two small children or those who have just retired and want to get the most from their free time. Either way, let's assume it's for people who will manage a couple of two-week holidays in the summer, plus a weekend away every month or so. What advice could you give that would cover someone in either of these camps?

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
I guess different aspects matter for different folk & it comes down to what matters most for the person choosing the 'van. I know some folk are desperate for a spacious bathroom / dressing area and sealed shower - but my husband laughs hysterically when PC describes a bathroom as having lots of stowage for cosmetics as I don't wear make-up..... We tend to use site showers so whilst the on-board facilities needed to be practical, they weren't the critical features for us. For us what mattered was a fixed bed as constantly making up the bed took its toll on our backs and the 'van we have now (Bailey Pageant Bordeaux)is bliss - best nights sleep in a van we've ever had. We were also very taken by the storage offered by the Bailey, with wardrobe & separate shelving unit - very user-friendly. Decent sized fridge also very helpful! People with kids are often desperate for a separate area that the kids can call their own & play PS2 or watch TV.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex

The layout of a caravan is a very personal thing. For me, unlike the previous user, the end washroom/dressing area is very important as I like these things to be separate. Everybody seems to use their caravans differently and often the first van you buy is not necessarily the layout you eventually prefer. We are on our fifth van and each has been different, but now there are only two of us, I NOW know what layout we prefer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we retired we bought our 1st 'van.This was a 2berth,with end washroom, and we were very happy with it.Then we decided to go for a 4berth with side dinette and end wash-room,which is what we have now.We have no complaints about this one, but are now beginning to think about a 'van with a fixed bed.It's very much a personal decision to make,and only experience lets you know whether you have made a good decision.Of course,cost will also be a big decider.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Previous responses have already given some criteria so I'd just like to add a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

The age of the children. If they're young, bunk beds are a good alternative as they save space, but children grow quickly and one has to decide whether future requirements will be met if the caravan is going to be kept for any length of time.

If the children are going to have an area they can call their own, a washroom in the middle between the parents and kids area is preferable to an end washroom.

Working surface area in the kitchen is very important to my wife as she's a great cook and likes to prepare a full meal even while caravanning but obviously this is not going to be an important criterion for everyone.

The size of beds can be quite important, too. It's difficult to get a good night's sleep in cramped conditions.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Have a lookat the layouts in the back of practical caravan magazine. Decide exactly what criteria you require for your family, then go to a couple of local dealers and after sitting in the vans for a while you'll soon realise what's important as there's always a small compromise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi alex,if you have children l have found that you don't need a big washroom you can use site facilitie's you just need a toilet also l like the fixed bunk's as with young children or like me you have a disabled child you can put a protective cover over mattress and leave it made up save's a lot of time at night and a descent amount of workspace in the kitchen.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
hi alex,if you have children l have found that you don't need a big washroom you can use site facilitie's you just need a toilet also l like the fixed bunk's as with young children or like me you have a disabled child you can put a protective cover over mattress and leave it made up save's a lot of time at night and a descent amount of workspace in the kitchen.
Hi Alex,

As a couple in our fifties without any tag alongs except 4 Yorkies we based our criteria on comfort more than anything else and went for a island fixed bed as we would n ot have to crawl over one another to get out of bed. In addition, as the bedroom was seperate you coudl pull the sliding door closed and leave the dogs in the front end. Cupboards with hanging space was important also especially if intending a prolonged stay at a site. Outside mains and gas sockets also influenced. Location of the bathroom was the least of our concerns. Payload was another important factor. As we have a large 4 x 4 weights did not bother us however if we had a smaller vehicle we would expect to be told by the salesman whether we would have a good match or not. Unfortuantley most times you have to rely on forums like this for that sort of information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am aware that a few people do not test drive a car before buying it. However, for the majority the test drives can make us decide if a particular car will suit. With a caravan there is no such thing as a test drive so people need to do the next best thing - spend as long as you like in them at the dealers. Try erecting the bed and what cushions are there over and can they be stowed if it is not a fixed one. Try lying on it for a while, is it comfortable. Imagine you are on a site somewhere and move about in it - do you get in one anothers way? Imagine preparing a meal - is there enough space? What about washing - do you really require a large washroom? Would you be able to shower comfortably? Consider spending 2 weeks in the van, is there enough storage?

This forum will enable first-timers to ask ask people about their chosen layout. They will receive the pros and cons - filter these as there will be opposing views if, say, your initial choice is a fixed bed. The fixed bed brigade will say 'sensible choice'. the 'make it up at night' brigade will say waste of usable space.

At the end of the ay it might be beneficial to hire a caravan with one layout for a week and then another layout for another week in order to make an informed choice. If you are buying new then it may cost several thousand pounds if you get it wrong - it did us.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Our current van is ideal for us. The compass corona 556. " singles at the front or a king size double, 2 fixed bunks at the back for the kids, and a side dinette (if you want to get up earlier than er indoors and have a cuppa) that converts to bunks to bring the kids friends along.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex - It isn't only the layout that is important. My husband is 6'4" and there are only a small number of caravans on the market in which he can stand upright! I would also suggest that the 'regular' seating arrangement, L-shaped, would be a good choice as each couple can relax on their own seats should they so wish.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We chose an l shaped lounge (Bailey Ranger 510L) and are really pleased with it. There's just the two of us, although we have cooked for friends - it is a bit uncomfortable seating 4 around the table, but for the two of us, we use the side dinette.

We like the extra room it seems to give and it is better for watching TV for the last hour before bed.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
We have an L-shaped lounge with our Elddis Furicano and I love it,it feels so much more spacious than a parallel loung

Although often just the two of us, all we do for four is to bring in a chair from the awning and there plenty of space to seat all

With both of us being on the short side we also use each part of the L as an individual bed so no climbing over one another to get in or out of bed

As has been said its purely a matter of personal choice and there is no such thing as a best layout

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Ann, I am curious - why can't couples relax in an L shaped layout?
Well Karen - My husband is 6'4" tall and I don't fancy relaxing with his feet in my face! My problem, I'm afraid!!! All down to personal choice in the end!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts