Choosing an awning

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
I am trying to decide what sort of air awning to buy for my caravan. The one we have is too big and too heavy, Kampa Classic Air Expert 3.7 metres.
Need a size of 2 metre / 2.6 metre.
We usually do trips of 2 weeks, 5 times each year.
Going to NEC show next month to have a look.
Would anyone have reccomendations please?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to decide what sort of air awning to buy for my caravan. The one we have is too big and too heavy, Kampa Classic Air Expert 3.7 metres.
Need a size of 2 metre / 2.6 metre.
We usually do trips of 2 weeks, 5 times each year.
Going to NEC show next month to have a look.
Would anyone have reccomendations please?
On our last van we had a Dorema Quattro 225 which did us fine all year. They do a slightly longer one too. Always found Dorema quality to be good. I preferred poled as I could stow the awning and poles separately. .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a similar issue with a large Kampa air awning and bought a 220 air awning mainly for the cooler month. We have the Magnum poled awning which is a lot lighter to handle than the equivalent air awning and that has been used in the summer months however this year we are going to try using our sunshade a lot more to see it it is better. Easier to erect than any awning. :)

Reactions: GUMPY
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is a photo of our Dorema Quattro 225. The doors remove, as does the front section, which can be used with the veranda pole to give a measure of enclosure.

P1040733.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That looks quite smart. Our 220 air awning has only one tube across the front. It is quick to erect even using a hand pump.
Only problem with porch awning on that caravan was that the space between the front door frame and the side window was minimal. So prior to erecting the awning I would wipe the window down and also wipe the forward vertical section of the awning. The foam section that seals the forward side. I also had small screw keeps /stoppers. that fit into the awning rail front and back and they restrain the awning from moving backwards and forwards. So in a nutshell despite being non optimum I never had any scratches on the window. But it’s a pity caravan makers don’t allow for a bit more space by the door as porch awnings are rare.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Only problem with porch awning on that caravan was that the space between the front door frame and the side window was minimal. So prior to erecting the awning I would wipe the window down and also wipe the forward vertical section of the awning. The foam section that seals the forward side. I also had small screw keeps /stoppers. that fit into the awning rail front and back and they restrain the awning from moving backwards and forwards. So in a nutshell despite being non optimum I never had any scratches on the window. But it’s a pity caravan makers don’t allow for a bit more space by the door as porch awnings are rare.

We used pipe lagging which stopped the window being scratched.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This was our Vango Capella 220 Air porch awning we never had a problem with the Draught seal system creates a tight seal between the awning and caravan even in breezy conditions

Attachments

• awn1.2.jpg
    awn1.2.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts