Christmas caravaning

Jul 16, 2005
Visit site
my wife and I are seriously thinking about going away in the van for xmas. As we have never done so, could anyone advise of a fun site. We live in Buckinghamshire and do not wish to travel hundreds of miles. Thanks Forum

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
patricia

I believe Brighouse Bay in Kirkcudbright is open over Christmas and new year. We go in October for Half term most years as its a nice site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could try Bo-Peep Farm at Adderbury (Banbury).

They used to do Xmas/New Year opening and last time I went, there was a Spanish group staying, but this was some time ago.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin, We been caravanning for 22 years and been going away in our van for the last 18 years for christmas, I say go for it , you will see most van cover in xmas light+ other thing too, Just make sure you use the red gas bottle not the blue one and emtpy the wastemaster every night, make sure you cover your Aquaroll with the proper Aquaroll cover stop it from freezing, if you got a 1980 plus van take a electric fan heater with you or the new van with the electric fan heater build in, we leave our on all the time, try and book a site with hardstanding it worth it, Go for it you will enjoy it we do, Good Luck. Trevor

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
If you were thinking of a town centre type site, where you could walk in for a meal and drink in the evenings - then two CC sites are good over the Christmas period:

York - Rowntree Park - it's about 160 miles from Bucks, but York is a wonderful city and this river side site is a ten minute walk into the city centre.

Bristol - Baltic Wharf - about 100 miles - and on the Bath/Bristol cycle path. Cross the river by ferry to the city centre.

Robert

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I believe that Chatsworth Park, in the grounds of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire is open at that time of year.

don't know anything about the site but the area round there is beautiful.

Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, Sandy Balls, Fordingbridge is open all year round. (The locals call it Gritty Goolies!) Indoor Pool 7 excellent facilities. About 150 miles I guess, as it's in the New Forest.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Brave Fart is right!

Chatsworth Park is a VERY nice site, I have stayed on many occasions. You can access the grounds of Chatsworth House straight from the site via a door in the wall, you get a key to borrow when you arrive.

The site is open until 4 Jan 2006 so should cover your Xmas break. A supermarket is located on the outskirts of Chesterfield, and you pass it as you come off the M1 towards Chatsworth.

Losehill near Castleton, which is in the same area, is open all year round. Both sites are Caravan Club sites with full facilites. Both sites have hard standing pitches too, which is something you may well need at Xmas! Chatsworth has a TV booster system fitted to the electric hook up points for crystal clear TV!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

You will find that Lyton Lawn Touring Park,Lymore Lane,Milford-on-Sea,naer Lymington Hampshire is open at Christmas,this site belongs to the Shorefield group.You can book your Christmas lunch but you have that at their main static site which is approx.2miles away.Lyton Lawn is a lovely site.Pone number is 01590 648331.Hope this helps.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have spent several Christmases at Sethorn in the New Forest , electric hook ups but you need your own facilities. Peace tranquility and lovely soroundings with the site set in the forest. Only thing is you need to book early

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be living in our Caravan from Christmas on...loose my job on the 23rd December ;-( Anyway does sound a nice idea to go away, but how does Father Christmas get in and more important how do you transport all those and the HIDE pressies when you have two young children...Ideas welcome as I really fancy doing this...may help cheer us up as we are not really looking forward to Xmas at the moment due to the job situation..

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
With ref to xmas caravaning i am looking for a site over the xmas period in either Devon or Cornwall. Also what is the reason for having to use the red gas cylinder rather than the nrmal blue?

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Butane gas (Blue Bottle) freezes much sooner than Propane (Red Bottle) Propane continues to work when its very cold. No doubt someone else will know the exact details. Incidently at the moment Calor are exchanging any size gas bottle for another size or different gas.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I may be living in our Caravan from Christmas on...loose my job on the 23rd December ;-( Anyway does sound a nice idea to go away, but how does Father Christmas get in and more important how do you transport all those and the HIDE pressies when you have two young children...Ideas welcome as I really fancy doing this...may help cheer us up as we are not really looking forward to Xmas at the moment due to the job situation..
That's an easy one, you have 2 christmas's. 1 while you are away and another with half/most of the pressies when you get back. Done it many times and the children love it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts