Christmas tree

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Acquired myself a nice 5ft Christmas tree the other day. All looks very nice with twinkling lights etc.,but theres a bit of a damp smell of it.I thought of hanging some green 'magic trees' on it Does anyone have any suggestions or remedies,

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like the seal has gone on. Try hanging a dead fish on it, this may tempt the seal back into place.

You can now buy Christmas tree covers too, place it over the tree during the winter months, but jack up the base and replace it with winter stands. Please make sure you take down the CRISmas number, in case it gets nicked.

Nope, that's it, I can't go on......

Where's that brandy?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin

Sorry to hear there's a bit of a damp smell coming from your christmas tree.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Get yourself a damp meter, you can pick them up quite cheaply and test the tree for dampness rather than making the assumption that the tree is damp.

2. You need to inspect the branches and re-seal them unless replacement branches are needed.

3. Use a fan heater to get warm air circulating around the tree and to draw out any moisture.

4. Buy more fairy lights to drape over the tree, the heat generated from multiple sets of lights, coupled with overloading of electrical sockets will create a nice bit of heat.

5. If you need further advice, go to Halfords and buy a copy of Haynes Christmas Tree Manual which is full of tips on how to eradicate damp in Christmas trees.

Failing all that, a good squirt of your wife's expensive perfume should make it smell a bit nicer.

Hope the above is of use to you.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like the seal has gone on. Try hanging a dead fish on it, this may tempt the seal back into place.

You can now buy Christmas tree covers too, place it over the tree during the winter months, but jack up the base and replace it with winter stands. Please make sure you take down the CRISmas number, in case it gets nicked.

Where's that brandy?
You pushed in the queue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Where's that brandy?
Just because your late, again. Don't blame me, I'm innocent.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Where's that brandy?
Some of us have to work for a living. Speaking of which, how come you are home so early? or have you gone on job share without telling Gaye?................

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Where's that brandy?
I work twice as fast as I need to, hence my "home time".

Don't look now but the station officer is peering over your shoulder.

Act naturally, turn round and ask him if he saw that puff of smoke coming from the computer screen.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Where's that brandy?
I haven't got a boss here any more, they keep going off on stress!!!!

Lisa

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
5 ft is nowhere near long enough for your purpose, you need a 10ft with twin anchoring points.

A generator will be useful for the lights if your mains goes off. If you are indoors solar panels would be useless.

Do not try running an electric patio heater from it - use a gas one instead.

Keep the children well away from the tree, they might damage it or cause unnecessary noise - it would be wasted on them anyway!

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all your help.

Unfortunately the tree wasn't CRISmas registered

I don't have a damp meter, should've tested it before i pinc..er bought it,

Lisa, thanks a lot. The wife has stormed out of the house in the huff after i emptied a bottle of her Chanel on the tree!

Lol, i didn't know about the seals, i otter have known better!(sorry)

Garry, i've caught the kids kicking a ball against the tree twice already today, i blame the parents myself.

Oh well, nothing else for it. Im off to Halfords for a couple of 'green' magic trees. (More environmentally friendly so i believe)

Gavin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts