Christmas v Next years summer holiday

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. I thought that the coat of arms on the side of your van was a paste on cut-out from a magazine to hide the damage from neglect, etc. This only goes to prove that first impressions are not always correct. For a third time I must therefore apologise for the errors of my ways.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B. I thought that the coat of arms on the side of your van was a paste on cut-out from a magazine to hide the damage from neglect, etc. This only goes to prove that first impressions are not always correct. For a third time I must therefore apologise for the errors of my ways.
lololol

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
It's nice to see that I'm not the only miserable git that hates this time of year, until I joined the forum I thought I was the only one, (is there a collective name for a group of miserable gits)?

What annoys me most, especially on the few days before christmas the supermarkets are jam packed with people stocking up for the ONE DAY that the shops are closed, you'd think there was a war on.

Lets get it over with and roll on spring.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think a group of miserable old gits at this time of the year could be called 'humbugs'.

I agree on the packed shops statement but I just wondered if you do 'scouse' for the big day as a pose to turkey with all the trimmings?

Lisa.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
No Lisa we'll be having a family get together with turkey.

Then there will be the traditional "annual argument" fueled by wine, scotch and beer when everyone tells everyone else what they really think of them, followed by lots of door slamming and storming off.

Then come new years eve everyone is kissing and shaking hands with the very same people.

What a farce.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's CAC Roy, whenever Christmas is mentioned I think CAC. We in the "Caravaners Against Christmas" society always celebrate Christmas in a CAC way. I'm joining CANY (Caravaners Against New Years) next year because its a CANY way to enjoy New Years for us.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lisa, what about those of us who ARE the old relations?
OOOOOOp, so sorry emmerson. Anyway, you can't be that bad, you're using the net.

My mum thought my microwave was a portable tv, she picks up the remote control and says, you'll lose this mobile if you're not careful.

Lisa x

G

the joy of early retirement just hitch up and go no booking the only booking I will be doing for next year is 6 weeks in Mauritius

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OOOOOOp, so sorry emmerson. Anyway, you can't be that bad, you're using the net.

My mum thought my microwave was a portable tv, she picks up the remote control and says, you'll lose this mobile if you're not careful.

Lisa x
lisa, tell your mum that she's not alone!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
For yungshian

Mauritius is an old home of mine, Lived there for 3 yerars when I was much younger. It is a paradise in my mind still, my brother went back three years ago and looked up a friend who is in the Police. The guy took some annual leave so he could show my brother and sister inlaw around our old haunts in safety as they would travel with a "Policeman". He advised about not using non resort hotels or renting privately beacause of serious safety issues "drug related crime".

A friend from Australia was here in October her husband visited Mauritius alone part business and part holiday,the Australian guy likes more rugged African and south American destinations whilst his wife prefers galleries and european culture. Well travelled in some seedier spots he was mugged and beaten in Mauritius, left unconscious on the street and found his way in a disheveled state to the British Embassy a day later having lost passport and all valuables and money and cards.British embassy consulate helped the guy as his wife had not heard from him and as a last resort called the Brits and got through straight to the guy sat upposite her husband!

My brother had a great time as he travelled with a large Policeman, but he heard some horrendous tales. That is not stopping him going back or my wife and I going in the next yerar or two.

Our policeman friend will not hear of us going unless he is made aware and takes time out from work to ensure our safety as we would not stay in one of the 5* resorts.

If it is a 6 week holiday take the advice and take care where you go and how you get around. Elderly friends of my parents who lived on the Island our very careful about where thy go when they visit anually!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you cris, you might not realise it but you've made me very happy. After reading your post I'm glad I'm going to the Lake District and if it rains I must remember not to moan heheheheh!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cris and Yungshian

Has Mauritius really changed that much?

My wife and I were married there ten years ago and we never experienced any problems at all. We roamed the island unaccompanied day and night using a hire car. We drank and ate in all sorts of hostelries, visited parks and attractions, markets and so on. We found the people to be so friendly and laid-back and not aggressive at all. I compare it with places I visited when I worked in motor sport-some of these were decidedly dodgy.

Not doubting you Cris as your experience is obviously more recent than mine but what shame if it has changed, especially as we were considering returning for an anniversary soon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CAC membership is free Maureen, most of us grumpy people have been in CAC for some time (will someone please open a window!) but we do charge a small fee for leaving us (like some bridges) known as the Caravaners Against Christmas Expiry Donation Or Numeration, better known as CAC'ED ON.

Yup I know, that's stretching the English language mighty thin!

G

For yungshian

Mauritius is an old home of mine, Lived there for 3 yerars when I was much younger. It is a paradise in my mind still, my brother went back three years ago and looked up a friend who is in the Police. The guy took some annual leave so he could show my brother and sister inlaw around our old haunts in safety as they would travel with a "Policeman". He advised about not using non resort hotels or renting privately beacause of serious safety issues "drug related crime".

A friend from Australia was here in October her husband visited Mauritius alone part business and part holiday,the Australian guy likes more rugged African and south American destinations whilst his wife prefers galleries and european culture. Well travelled in some seedier spots he was mugged and beaten in Mauritius, left unconscious on the street and found his way in a disheveled state to the British Embassy a day later having lost passport and all valuables and money and cards.British embassy consulate helped the guy as his wife had not heard from him and as a last resort called the Brits and got through straight to the guy sat upposite her husband!

My brother had a great time as he travelled with a large Policeman, but he heard some horrendous tales. That is not stopping him going back or my wife and I going in the next yerar or two.

Our policeman friend will not hear of us going unless he is made aware and takes time out from work to ensure our safety as we would not stay in one of the 5* resorts.

If it is a 6 week holiday take the advice and take care where you go and how you get around. Elderly friends of my parents who lived on the Island our very careful about where thy go when they visit anually!
I have visited Mauritius on numerous occasion the last time was 3 yrs ago and I have never encountered any problem I hope it has not changed that much because I don't use any hotel at all I camp in a friend back garden

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy,

His Lordship seems to think that you have a reputation ( UK Parks ) so we might have to put it to the vote:eek:)

Could take a while if his Lordship is contemplating his navel:eek:)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Martyn.

My bro's trip was 3 years ago and the other guys a year or two back. The Mauritius of my youth was the same as your experience. Our family friend has a senstive position and in the know in his particular dept. Has some really scary stories and scars and personal threats to his family to back up his stories. My contacts who have been to Mauritius have been OK apart from the Aussie, but mainly stay in top end up market resort hotels. We have been advised not to go for self catering apartment holidays or budget hotels and travelling alone especially at night, or to remote beaches. A friend who went last Christmas went to Le Tousserok, 10k+ for 14 days, HE HAD NO PROBLEMS! Spent most of the time in the hotel luxury and wwnt on accompanied trips! But did hear some worrying stories whilst there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts