Citroen Berlingo 2,0 Hdi

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does this lack of response mean that no one has towed a caravan with a Citroen Berlingo/Peugot Partner 2.0Hdi.

We have been caravaning for some years and I can't recall seeing one used as a tow vehicle towining although I have seen them with tow bars fitted.

We are about to try so I'll let you know how how we get on

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Bob, didn't see your original posting - probably because of an unplanned visit to the hospital around that time.

Quite a few Eriba owners tow the smaller (don't laugh - they do make small and big Eriba Touring caravans - and in Europe all Hymer caravans are branded Eriba) with the Berlingo 2 litre HDI.

It's a good match for the Puck, Puck L or Familia - Match percentages around 60% for a MRO of 700 to 800 kg - and I know of one lady that tows her 4 berth Eriba and two big dogs to shows.

The series II Berlingo with the uprated engine seems a perfectly competent tow vehicle for a sub 1000 kg caravan.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for this Rob. We have a 1995 Elddis Typhoon XLi, currently towed with my car, a Rover 75 2ltr Diesel Automatic. We would like, for reasons too tedious to recount here, to tow our caravan with my wife's car, a Peugeot Partner 2.0Hdi.

Given that the Peugeot Partner has:

A Curb Weight of 1311kg

A Max Gross Vehicle Weight of 1920kg

A Max Gross Train Weight of 3020kg

A Max Braked Trailer Weight of 1100kg (Within Gross Train Weight)

A Max Nose Weight of 70kg

The Elddis Typhoon has:

An Ex Works Weight of 982Kg (including 25kg for variance)

A nose weight of 50kg (Max 75kg)

The total weight of all our kit is 166kgs, divided 99kg in the van and 67kg in the car

Our the domestic loading of car, including the nose weight of the van, might be 500kg

Our caravan loaded would then be 1081kg (982+99)

Our car loaded would be 1878kg (1311+500+67)

Gross Train Weight would be 2959kg (1878+1081)

The first question is can anyone see a problem with this, is it legal, or have we overlooked something? The second question is does anyone have any thoughts on how it might tow?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Bob,

Well you've assembled all the data and it appears to be just (variouslt between 60 kg and 100 kg) on the legal side.

None of my Eriba owning colleagues have "stressed" their Berlingo to quite this level, being some 200 kg lighter in GTW, but I'm getting the feeling that it's borderline.

Robert

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
I towed with a Berlingo: it was useless. Having the HDi engine will help (mine was 1.9D) but the real problem was with a van on the front wheels couldn't get a grip on damp grass: as though all the weight was off them.

BTW the Multispace is pretty horrid to love with esp the sliding door.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is the same with most front wheel drive cars, the damp grass problem. My Rover 75 can't do damp grass at all, but in most other conditions, you don't want for any extra traction. The solution? Use hardstanding.

Cheers

James

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
It is the same with most front wheel drive cars, the damp grass problem. My Rover 75 can't do damp grass at all, but in most other conditions, you don't want for any extra traction. The solution? Use hardstanding.

Cheers

James
I'm a CL fan. My solution was four wheel drive.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
my neighbor has one and all she can tow is a folding caravan i think its only 1100 max kerb weight try this web site it tells you all the kerb weights hope this helps willhttp://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.ht

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
my neighbor has one and all she can tow is a folding caravan i think its only 1100 max kerb weight try this web site it tells you all the kerb weights hope this helps willhttp://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.ht
Thanks for all your comments. I intend to test all this for myself so I have fitted a tow bar to my wife's Peugeot Partner Hdi (Berlingo to all intents and purposes) and can report success based on the following criteria.

Caravan loaded 1092.09kg (Max 1100)

Car loaded 1711kg (Max 1920)

Gross train weight 2803.89kg (Max 3020)

Nose weight 65kg (Recommended 50 - 70)

Initial towing tests (not scientifically rigorous) around the Peterborough Ring roads, the A1 and varying degrees of minor roads north of Stamford indicate excellent towing stability. Of course a little patience is needed on long inclines but no more so than with our other tow car (both are 2ltr turbo diesels). These, albeit limited and totally empirical results indicate that the Peugeot Partner's towing capability, on the road at 60mph and below, are in my opinion, at least as good and initially a lot better than my wife's previous car, a Mondeo 1.7td Estate.

This initial foray has given us the confidence to attempt a longer journey, so we set off for Gloucester next week.

I take on board Henry's comments about wet grass, however our other tug is a Rover 75 so might expect similar performance according to James. Thanks for that James. I have not had the problem with the Rover yet but that's probably because we haven't encountered damp enough grass. We did however with its predecessor, the Mondeo.

The down side for most people will be what has to be done to achieve this. The awning, the caravan spare wheel and one or two other small items of kit that normal people would leave in the caravan, have to be transported in the car. As there are only two of us and couple of large dogs, this doesn't cause us much of a problem. When operating so close to all the limits, it's important to know what everything weighs and that you know what your nose weight is and that you make sure you stick to it.

I will update this report after our two weeks in Gloucestershire

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts