Cleaning cushions with (un)removable covers

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We can't be the only ones with this problem. The covers in our Bailey Olympus caravan cushions are designed to be removable -- they have zips. But they're also buttoned which prevents the covers being removed (see photo). How does this work? What's the best way to clean them? They desperately need cleaning. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Aug 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't think they're actually meant to be removed - the zips are just to be able to get the foam fillings in when they're made. You could try Vanish or Dr Beckman upholstery cleaner, but if using a brush, do it gently as the fabric on these cushions isn't very thick (we have a Bailey Senator).

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The upper trimmed button a joining mechanism, in my case nylon string formed in a loop and the underside flat locking button .
if yours is the same, try compressing the cushion from the underside kneeling either side of button worked, and with luck you will find the locking mechanism either fixes to a hook type arrangment on the underside button, or it sits in a groove across the face of button i hope it helps .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
When neat black currant squash was spilled all over our Upholstery ( not mentioning any names but it was OHs fault 😉 ) we hired a carpet shampooer- the sort that squirts the water and shampoo in and then sucks it up again. Just be careful around the buttons not to snag them on the cleaner head. The squash had dried by the time we got home but sprayed them with the pre treatment stuff and then shampooed and they came up a treat.
You can hire these machines from DIY shops etc. Vax also do a machine you can buy. Just get one that comes with an upholstery tool
mel

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I don't think they're actually meant to be removed - the zips are just to be able to get the foam fillings in when they're made. You could try Vanish or Dr Beckman upholstery cleaner, but if using a brush, do it gently as the fabric on these cushions isn't very thick (we have a Bailey Senator).

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and explains the zips. Have tried spot cleaners but they're fairly labour intensive to use more extensively.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The upper trimmed button a joining mechanism, in my case nylon string formed in a loop and the underside flat locking button .
if yours is the same, try compressing the cushion from the underside kneeling either side of button worked, and with luck you will find the locking mechanism either fixes to a hook type arrangment on the underside button, or it sits in a groove across the face of button i hope it helps .

Have checked and there's not the same mechanism on these buttons. I think missislippy is correct and they're not actually meant to be removed.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
When neat black currant squash was spilled all over our Upholstery ( not mentioning any names but it was OHs fault 😉 ) we hired a carpet shampooer- the sort that squirts the water and shampoo in and then sucks it up again. Just be careful around the buttons not to snag them on the cleaner head. The squash had dried by the time we got home but sprayed them with the pre treatment stuff and then shampooed and they came up a treat.
You can hire these machines from DIY shops etc. Vax also do a machine you can buy. Just get one that comes with an upholstery tool
mel

Have followed this advice and used our Bissell carpet cleaner on them. Hand held upholstery cleaner attachment wasn't great so actually used the machine and cleaned them as though they were carpets. Bit tricky, but it worked. They've come up fantastically clean and, bearing in mind missislippy's note of caution about fabric thickness, I was careful and the fabric appears none the worse for the experience.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You could always ring a caravan upholstery up near you and ask they might advice how to take the the covers of your van . and then you will know for sure .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts