Cleaning under solar panel

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Went to storage compound this morning and used their facilities to wash the van.

Rather disappointed as the last time I done it,they had some very handy industrial steps for us to use(I think they use similar in places like Costco,B&Q etc to fetch things down from racking).
They were perfect as I was stood about 2 ft above the roofline,and able to use pressure on extending brush to remove grime.

I arrived today and the workshop technician told me that Health&Safety had paid them a visit and said members of the public could not use them anymore,so had to lean my ladder against awning rail(protected with pipe insulation)and try my best to clean the roof almost at head height.
Anyway.....I didn't have anything with me to clean all the way under the solar panel.
Just wondering what others use and if there's a special piece of equipment you can buy.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
How about the brush you can get to clean radiators, maybe not as strong as would be perfect but better than nothing.

BP

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I use an old car washing mit and have cable tied it to the end of a two foot piece of bamboo. Fits under a treat.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the topic of solar panels does anyone have a flexible one fitted, and how do the relative performance compare in terms of output per area?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Can't beat wash-mitt on a stick for best tip! I have some cheap 'wheel woollies' for cleaning the barrel of my alloys, but they may be too thick.

I have heard that Flexible Solar Panels are prone to accelerated failure as they cannot dissipate heat (IIRC). The regular type are more durable, if more obtrusive.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
On the topic of solar panels does anyone have a flexible one fitted, and how do the relative performance compare in terms of output per area?
They're used a lot on yachts glued to the curved cabin top. Not heard of any complaints but they are generally more expensive, which is probably why they're not used where flexibility is not a requirement.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Followed CustardAvenger's advice and I've "stolen" the wife's wash mitt.🤭

Found a "flatish"piece of plastic and cable tied it around the plastic.👍👍

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
To be honest Beachball,I haven't had chance to wash it yet what with van and car servicing.
Will possibly have a go this coming weekend.
The length of plastic is about 2 inches wide and 3 ft long.
Hopefully should work ok👍

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Failed to describe it properly. As stated mitt attached to one end of stick. Attached other end to son-in-law. Knew one day i would find a use for him.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts