Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Michelle

No, don't use cling film on your caravan windows because they may be damaged if you do.

Please knock your caps lock off when posting, thanks.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Too much time on their hands?? Actually, I think some folks believe the cling film will stop the windows getting scratched by the elements or if they put a cover on the van.

mel

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
One caravan cover manufacturer recommends the use of clingfilm to prevent chafing of the windows. I suspect the issue of chemical reaction is an old one, as I remember there was a problem at one time if clingfilm was left over food being re heated. It seems to have a slightly different feel to it now.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Chris wrote:

'One caravan cover manufacturer recommends the use of clingfilm to prevent chafing of the windows. I suspect the issue of chemical reaction is an old one, as I remember there was a problem at one time if clingfilm was left over food being re heated. It seems to have a slightly different feel to it now.'

I definitely wouldn't take any chances.

For those who worry about caravan covers scratching windows clean old bed linen would be a safer bet than cling film.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The problem with using cling film to protect the caravan is that it will anneal to the front of the caravan and would be next to impossible to remove.

To protect a caravan over winter don't park it underneath trees and if you don't use a caravan cover which can be expensive and difficult to put on just use Fenwicks Over Wintering fluid

I have no connection with Fenwicks other than as a satisfied customer b.t.w.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Have you noticed that clingfilm isn't as clingy as it was years ago?

Until about 8 years ago it contained something (plasticers I think) which could migrate into food and also into the plastic of caravan windows. A sort of micro-crazing of the windows could result. Didn't do much for your health either.

Maybe the current clingfilm is OK for both bodies and windows, but having had crazing in the past we use the old sheet system now.

Bry

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Bryan that is exactly the point I was making above. I agree it does feel different, and although my caravan cover supplier suggests clingfilm use, like others, I use old cutains instead.

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Michelle

The best use of cling film is when traveling as it saves cleaning the bugs and tar off the windows, when you reach your destination you just remove the cling film and your windows are clean from bugs ect.

Phil

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I think cling film on the windows is a great idea but I am still concerned about the issue of crazing of the acrylic. Has anyone got an old window that could be used for testing to see if modern cling film is OK? I don't fancy trying it on my 'van as I suspect it would cost over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts