Close or not close

Jun 2, 2024
Visit site
Just wondering what people think about closing blinds on the skylights when not using the caravan. Especially when closing it down at the end of the season?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On a previous caravan there was a small sign on the bottom of the window indicating that the blinds should not be shut completely in sunshine. On querying this we were told that it was due to the fact that when the blinds were closed, there could be a heat build up distorting the windows or even causing them to come apart. We always leave our blinds half open.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I leave the panoramic window blind and rooflight blinds partly closed (leave a 2” gap) and curtains closed but blinds up. We had a Sterling a few years ago whose upholstery faded badly in the sun so now I try to minimise the chance

Reactions: Glynnbob
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to keep the blind open on our skylight and just shut the curtains on the windows and just leave a small gap when it was in caravan storage but all the cupboards doors lockers and fridge door opened .

Reactions: Glynnbob
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I always leave them open to alow scumbags to look inside and see that there's nothing to steal (hopefully they won't bother breaking in to find out).

All cupboard and locker doors open for air circulation (and to let scumbags see there's nothing in them).

Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Blinds completely closed will do even more damage.
It must be about twenty years ago the guys at Chipping Sodbury Caravans gave this advice. I’ve never really given it a second thought until this thread. None of our caravans have displayed any β€œdamage”.
What can happen??

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....I don't have any curtains in the caravan as we removed them.
Don't like them in caravans!
Caravan stored at home so adjustments to ventilation made every day.
Blinds never shut as have warnings on windows about heat build up damaging plastic windows during sunny weather.
We don't have an end of season as we try to use caravan all year round.

Reactions: Gagakev and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must be about twenty years ago the guys at Chipping Sodbury Caravans gave this advice. I’ve never really given it a second thought until this thread. None of our caravans have displayed any β€œdamage”.
What can happen??
Apparently the heat build up can distort the windows or even split the two panes. On our 2011 Lunar at the bottom of the window was a small picture of the window showing the blind half closed.

On querying this the manufacturer gave us the above reason why blinds should never be closed completely in hot weather. We carried this advice through to our current caravan as probably the same manufacturer.

Next time when out and about have a look at the bottom of the window and it may also have the same little diagram or picture.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Depending on the blinds I leave fingers width at the bottom and fly screen at the top about two dings width to allow cooler air to be drawn in at the bottom, similar thing with skylights but a bit mot gap as they can get extremely hot (as can windows)

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s a new one on me, too hot🀣
The following photos taken this morning show the gaps around the bedroom window and sky light. I’d say there’s plenty of ventilation 😜

Attachments

• IMG_9478.jpeg
    IMG_9478.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9477.jpeg
    IMG_9477.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: RogerL
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
That’s a new one on me, too hot🀣
The following photos taken this morning show the gaps around the bedroom window and sky light. I’d say there’s plenty of ventilation 😜
On a very hot day put your hand in the skylight, you will be surprised just how much heat is generated

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we bought our last caravan we were told to leave the blinds up to prevent any problem with the tension and we close the curtains when not in use.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we bought our last caravan we were told to leave the blinds up to prevent any problem with the tension and we close the curtains when not in use.
We did the same when storing the van. Although we did use the pull down blinds during hot days but always left a gap at the base.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some blinds are designed with a spring tension but others are not - it's the former that should be left open.

TRENDING THREADS