Closing curtains in winter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all we have parked our van up for the winter and i am never sure which is best, leave the curtains open so any sun warms the van up and limits damp,or leave closed and avoid any fading of the interior.

Your comments would be well received.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our caravan only has net curtains and over the last two years the interior trim has faded badly in the sunlight. However, I would have thought that the amount of sunshine that we "enjoy" in this country during the winter months is negligable anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Andy

I have learnt the hard way as no one is really around to give you advice and now we have this site its a big advantage..........

Ok Curtains pulled all winter will in the end ROT, (mine did and had to reline them) Blinds pulled down all winter is tension on the springs, (had one blind break as a result) So have come up with the idea of cutting cardboard the size of the windows,except the window in your van that faces north, (thats if you have one)if you dont like to look at the cardboard from the outside,you can always put pitcures on it,as for the damp inside put two or three icecream cartons in the van with about 3/4 inches of salt in it, i also keep all doors including the toilet door open and open all lockers and cuboards inside,Ive had no trouble except faded cardboard,hope this is helpfull,Eddie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have taken notice of Eddie`s posting, and will not be leaving our blinds down in future. To eliminate any fading whilst stood up over the winter months, you could either remove all the soft furnishings and store them at home, or if that is not practical, buy yourself a couple of cheap throws (couple of quid from the such likes of Dunelm Mill or pound stretchers)to cover up your cushion covers.

Janice

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it is a choice between curtains and blinds , you should close your curtains. They may fade etc, but will be easier to replace than closing blinds which often will not retract after being closed for a long time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts