CL's - 5 Van's- Yea Right!!

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
Having recently joined the Caravan Club i decided that i would hae a go at the Certified Locations within 1 - 2 hours of my house. I have now been to 5 different CL's and have found that they do not stick to the 5 van rule. Although i have enjoyed the company of the other members, the pitch sizes have always been quite small. Last weekend we stayed at a CL that also allowed non-members to use it, which left the site with only to Caravan Club members on it. Do CL's get inspected? I have also never been asked for my membership card, Is it worth rejoining next year?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bit of hit and miss really. We have been on sites who rigidly stick to the 5 van rule, and also some who don't. Our worst one was on the Isle of Wight last year where there were at least 10 vans on every day for a fortnight. We complained and they're not in the book now. I always offer my membership number when booking by phone, but have never been asked for it on a site. Bearing in mind that a lot of these sites, especially farmers supplement their income with CL's, the odd extra van doesn't bother me if there is enough room for everyone. As for non-members using sites, we know of at least one who does this, but unless you go round asking for cards, who's to know - as you say yourself, you've never been asked for a card. Have seen one inspector on a site, but never asked me for a card.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
SORRY I have not used a cl. But last yaer I had the van in storeg. It chaned hands which seemed ok at the time. But thing whent down hill. TO start it cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

Any chance of using another storage site. We use a Farm which is great but we do not hjave a very expensive new van.

We also stayed on a fairly local CL recently and our number was taken on the phone and it was clear that only 5 pitches were ever used.

Sadly the owner ( a really nice bloke ) said that he may have to take deposits soon as some people booked and then did not show. A clear loss of income for him. Great site though - disapointed to hear others are not of the same standard.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

Any chance of using another storage site. We use a Farm which is great but we do not hjave a very expensive new van.

We also stayed on a fairly local CL recently and our number was taken on the phone and it was clear that only 5 pitches were ever used.

Sadly the owner ( a really nice bloke ) said that he may have to take deposits soon as some people booked and then did not show. A clear loss of income for him. Great site though - disapointed to hear others are not of the same standard.
I got storage two days ater the gate brok. A frend telled me whot hapand later. thanks mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have our van in CC storage so have to renew our membership. As for CL's we have been asked for our membership details on quite a few ocasions (usualy the best CL's) so yes we feel it is worth renewing our membership. Also as the CC bear the costs and agro of getting approval it is worth renewing as with the likes of the CC there would be no CL's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I understand it there is an unofficial dispensation from CC to CL owners to permit 6 vans occaisionally, but only for one night - i.e. a member in transit. Sites are inspected at least yearly and, I'm told, without warning. it seems sites may be allowed "two strikes" before being "out", given the decreasing number of CLs and the increasing costs of installing and inspecting electrics.

Seems to me the 5 van rule could be reviewed, such that sites with more than, say, 2 acres, could be allowed more - say up to 8. This would increase the number of available pitches considerably.

It is also up to the owner to ask for membership number (although I always quote it anyway) and I suppose that if they are constantly let down by "no shows" they could complain - with the numbers to CC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts