CLs with more than 5 vans

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Increasingly, I find that some CL owners ignore the 5 van limit that their licence exemption gives them and allow 6, 7 or 8 vans on at a time.

Now I've absolutely no intention of setting myself up as the "CL Police" and I don't have any problem on a 7 acre site but extra vans makes it very cramped on a 0.5 acre site.

We went to a small CL, in Pembrokeshire, which has 6 fully serviced hardstandings, as well as hookup and water points in the storage area to allow 3-4 of those to be occupied as well.

Reporting the CL to the CC doesn't seem to have any effect, I suppose CL owners get pally with regional sites inspectors!

What do other caravanners do? Just ignore it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CC say that they refuse more applications than they allow, so someone might be interested if there are regular breaches of the 5 van limit. The local authority's planning department might be more interested, as they have to stay below 5 units to enjoy the benefits of the special act of parliament and the avoidance of need for site licence or planning permission.

I agree though - if it's big enough, no problem. But I don't go to a CL to feel cramped.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree I don't go to a CL to feel cramped and yes, if the site is large enough maybe 1 more over the 5 limit. After all mistakes can be made and double bookings do occur. But if it was a regular occurence I would consider reporting. In fact, I did report one a couple of years ago, and that site is no longer in the handbook.

Deliberate overbooking is a no-no in my opinion, as this endangers the life of the CL if they get struck off and then everyone suffers eventually.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
We booked a week on a CL on the Lleyn peninsular a couple of years ago, which was nice and appeared quite spacious when we arrived.

We were the fifth van to arrive, and we paid for the week.

The following day we had a run out to explore the area and got back to find an extra two vans on site. Probably a couple of vans leaving later in the day, we thought. Wrong.

Next day we go to the coast, come back at tea-time to find another two vans squeezed on site. Nine in total!

A little bit peeved, I spoke to the owner and explained it wasn`t what I expected, and how did he get away with it?

"If they turn up and I can get them in I will, and if you don`t like it you can **** off", was the eloquent reply.

So despite having paid for the week, we decide to `**** off`, and reported the site to the CC. Were they interested? Were they chuff! It took three months to get any response, and then all I got was the promise that `someone would have a word`.

This site has it`s own website and is obviously flouting the planning laws, as I may be wrong, but I don`t think another eight CC members would have stayed on the site without passing comment, more likely they weren`t members.

If the farmer wishes to operate a commercial site then the very best of luck to him, but he should have to do it properly and not gain advantage on legitimate businesses by circumventing planning and safety laws.

The CC emerge with little credit also. The CC & C&CC have the priviledge to permit the existance of CL`s (or CS`s), and would be up in arms if this would be repealed, so the y should act responsibly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CL's who break the terms of their licence should be reported regardless whether the CC take notice or not. If the site has gained its licence for 5 vans only then to exceed that number is in contravention of the licence.

The owner is taking great risks in allowing more than five at anyone time. and if a fire or other disaster takes place then he will be liable in law and will have to take the consequences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts