Coachman reversing lights

DJP

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hello all, We are new to caravanning and total novices having just picked up our new Coachman Amara 520/4 this week. Apologies if this is a daft quastion, but we notice the reversing lights on the caravan do not work when reverse is engaged. The dealer explained 'they are not fitted to new vans' Is this correct? I cannot understand the logic of not needing reversing lights on the road, or even if it is legal. Any suggestions please before we start our first trip.

P.s. excellent forum, full of useful advice.

DJP

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

The reversing lights are run off the yellow cable (pin 1) of the 12S supplementary socket. How old is your car - because some older cars were not wired in that way. The Caravan Club do an excellent leaflet on the subject of towbar wiring, so if you are a member go on-line and download a copy.

If you have a 12 volt test screwdriver try testing whether this pin on the car socket is outputting a current when you put the car into reverse (clearly a potentially dangerous manouvre so make sure the person at the controls understands about not allowing the foot to slip off the clutch!). If that pin is OK perhaps there is an earthing problem.

Don't understand the comment from the dealer.

Cheers,

Mike

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi DJP,

Welcome to the forum. We've got a Coachman as well, a VIP 530/4 2006 model and ours hasn't got reversing lights either. We got a similar response from our dealer as well. Must admit, we thought it was strange too as there is a clear lens in the light cluster but it doesn't work.

Mike's suggestion is a possible reason but our car is a 2004 model and you would assume that the wiring was there.

I've just rung Coachman about this and have left a message for someone to call me back. They always do. Had a couple of instances where I have had a query and have always got an excellent response from Coachman Customer Care.

I'll let you know what they say

Janey

DJP

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, but I don't think it is a problem with the car ('05 Sorento) as Mike says. It will be interesting to know what Coachman tell Janey. Maybe Coachman do not fit reversing lights, but I can't understand why not, just for safety sake.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Coachman are not alone in not fitting reversing lights.

I have fitted them myself to several caravans over the years including ABI,Bailey(1996),Cleremont (based on Coachman group van)etc.

It seems a basic safety feature but not all vans have them

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had two coachmans - neither had reversing lights. i managed to trace the lead from the sockets into the caravan, but it was under a mass of wiring and I eventully gave up looking. I've just got a new burstner, and that does not have reversing lights either

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi DJP have you looked inside the rear light cluster to see if there is a bulb in there. On some Vehicles that may have 2x rev and 2x rear fog lenses they dont always fit bulbs! You should also check to see if the battery charging facility from the towing vehicle is operating. I have had 2 friends who have purchased new vans only to find that the -ve side of the charging circuit was not connected, Bazz.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
A very nice man from Coachman called me back this morning regarding this issue. They said they have made a "concious decision" not to fit reversing lights. They have instead fitted two fog lights as they believe that it is better to be seen when out on the road than when reversing as generally there is someone stood at the rear of the caravan directing the driver and they are more likely to see a child etc. who is in danger of being squished as opposed to the said child seeing/taking notice of reversing lights. Apparently, the clear lens has coloured bulbs behind it which must the fog lights he referred to, I can't remember since last doing the "lights etc." check.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Janey,

Interesting decision from Coachman for a couple of reasons.

First, I happen the think it is a pretty important safety feature to have a reversing light, not so you can see with it, but because it tells people behind you that you are reversing.

Second, I recall a couple of years ago, during an MOT test on the Volvo estate we had at the time, mentioning to the tester that one of my rear fog lights needed a new bulb because it wasn't working. He laughed and said that Volvo deliberately left the bulbs out (and sometimes disabled the wiring) of one of the reversing lights because in the UK it is illegal (vehicle contstruction regulations, I think he said) to have two reversing lights. Apparently they were banned because of the danger of people thinking they are brake lights. He was a part time policeman and also used to train coppers in vehicle law. He reckoned there was barely a car on the road that could not be legitimately pulled over by the police and that this was one of the main reasons. I never did bother to check whether he was spinning me a yarn. It always struck me as an unlikely story because so many new cars still have two rear fogs. If I ever have time I will try to remember to check; and if he is still right we ought to pass the info on to Coachman.

Cheers,

Mike A

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, typos in above post - I said reversing lights a couple of times when I meant Fog lights. Brain gone, its been a Monday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While on the subject of lights I note I have condensation in the light fittings - the van is new - 2005 - . It is in both rear light assemblies and one of the front fittings.I had a look at other vans on the site while away last week and some had the same problem. The fittings are in good order and the screws are holding tight . Was wondering what is causing the problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts