Coachman VIP 520 models - New or pre-loved?

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Hi, We are very new to caravanning and thinking of buying a Coachman VIP 520 as we particularly like the side dinette. We are debating whether to buy new or used. If we buy used are there any particular year models that perhaps are nicer than others? If we buy new are we buying at the wrong time of year as it seems only display models are available now. Thank you all very much. Angela

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, We are very new to caravanning and thinking of buying a Coachman VIP 520 as we particularly like the side dinette. We are debating whether to buy new or used. If we buy used are there any particular year models that perhaps are nicer than others? If we buy new are we buying at the wrong time of year as it seems only display models are available now. Thank you all very much. Angela
One advantage of buying a caravan between 2 - 3 years old is that hopefully all issues have been resolved. Just make sure that it has the annual servicing up to date and that you can transfer the remainder of the 6 year water or damp ingress warranty to yourselves. There is a small fee involved.

As you seem to be newbies can I suggest that when you do find a caravan to your liking, pay deposit using a credit card if the cost is under £30k for S75 protection of CCA . Have some on finance for extra protection. Lastly if buying from a dealer you have the Consumer Rights Act protection. None of this applies if buying privately.

Can we assume that your vehicle is capable of towing up to 1524kg as that is the MTPLM of the 2023 VIP 520 and the kerbweight of the towing vehicle is about 1800 kg for a safe tow?

I am sure that once you have sorted everything out, you will enjoy your new adventure into the wide open spaces.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Coachman has the best reputation. But like all vans still can have problems. But I am only saying this from what I have read and deduced.

I think there is a long lead time for a new van. A display model. with a decent discount and starter pack, might well be a good option.

John

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
One advantage of buying a caravan between 2 - 3 years old is that hopefully all issues have been resolved. Just make sure that it has the annual servicing up to date and that you can transfer the remainder of the 6 year water or damp ingress warranty to yourselves. There is a small fee involved.

As you seem to be newbies can I suggest that when you do find a caravan to your liking, pay deposit using a credit card if the cost is under £30k for S75 protection of CCA . Have some on finance for extra protection. Lastly if buying from a dealer you have the Consumer Rights Act protection. None of this applies if buying privately.

Can we assume that your vehicle is capable of towing up to 1524kg as that is the MTPLM of the 2023 VIP 520 and the kerbweight of the towing vehicle is about 1800 kg for a safe tow?

I am sure that once you have sorted everything out, you will enjoy your new adventure into the wide open spaces.
Thank you very much. The showroom one is over £30k but if we went for that we planned to pay deposit on credit card and the rest we were going to pay by bank transfer. Did not realise there was any protection by putting some on finance so might look into that. We have checked the towing weights and we are fine with our car.

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Coachman has the best reputation. But like all vans still can have problems. But I am only saying this from what I have read and deduced.

I think there is a long lead time for a new van. A display model. with a decent discount and starter pack, might well be a good option.

John
Thanks very much John just had a towbar fitted to our car so we are getting closer to getting the caravan!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Two of our caravans (including the current one) were ex-demonstrators, other than seeing a few feet walk through them they are still effectively "new" and can usually command a few £££'s off the list price as others have said. My own personal preference is to buy new/ex-demo as the warranty tends to be more comprehensive and from what I can see, second hand models don't seem to reflect much of a saving.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much. The showroom one is over £30k but if we went for that we planned to pay deposit on credit card and the rest we were going to pay by bank transfer. Did not realise there was any protection by putting some on finance so might look into that. We have checked the towing weights and we are fine with our car.
As mentioned there are long delays for new caravans. Sometimes you can get a bargain with a showroom model due to loads of people have been in and out of the unit. You would still get the same warranty.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In many ways it is like buying a car and what suits you. If you buy new you get the full makers guarantee but lose more money when you collect it than with a second hand one but the second hand one will be cheaper.. If you buy new you can specify exactly what you want including extras but have you wait for it to be delivery, with second hand y6u get what the original owner wanted and have to find it some where. Coachman are a smaller company and the numbers of some models available will be low but then you have to wait for a new one. .
It is true that second hand ones often have any problems sorted for you but you might also get one that had problems and the previous owner just got rid so ask questions if you go that way. We know as we got rid of one after the second damp issue.
It really is down to what suits you best.

Reactions: Angela 67
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we bought our present Coachman, a showroom model, we were on our way to the NEC to buy the same model from a dealer, we went into a local dealer and after getting a |£1000 discount and a brand new Power touch Evolution MM. Collected the van the following week. A friend who ordered the same model from a dealer in Brackley, at the same time, had to wait 7 months.

Reactions: Angela 67

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts