Coffee question

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Still experimenting and have now found out that you use one sachet for 200ml of water. A cup holds about 400ml of water so have now bene using two sachets and a much better taste. LOL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As can be seen tastes vary as do what colour should I paint my walls.

I dislike instant coffee powder. If offered I will politely refuse.

At home we have a DeLonghi Expresso machine and I have a single shot americano - which is black and no sugar. To make this I will have either Cafe Direct Machu Picchu or Percol Columbian.

Here on Skye we have our own roasters and its one of the best coffees I've had but its not cheap. Used to like Blue Mountain before it got ridiculously expensive.

One of the most exotic and expensive coffees is Kopi Luwak. More expensive than Blue Mountain but even so I refuse to drink anything that's already been (bean) through the digestive system of a vietnamese civet cat. Then again I eat eggs and we know where they come from.

Its not practical to cart the machine around with us but these days there are plenty of non-chain coffee shops that make a decent brew. On the rare occasions when we can't find one and have to resort to a chain coffee shop, I find Costa the least objectional.

As someone here says 'to each their own'

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
We used to get a type of coffee essence in our rat packs, but you had to be fairly dumb to make a brew as it could cost you your life. Most times we ate our rations cold and no cigarettes, no soap, no toothpaste or any nice smelly stuff when out on patrol.

Well yeah, on active service. Then again, on active service I wouldnt be carrying extras like a bottle of coffee essence, and would make do with a proper wet.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Which is the best and tastiest instant coffee i.e. Kenco, Nestle etc to buy from a supermarket where you do not need to use a coffee machine? If having coffee out at a place like Costa, Nero etc which one is the best for coffee and which is the tastiest coffee. We tried the Latte at Costa and Nero and thought the Costa Latte the better flavour.
Just asking as only recently I have found that I can drink normal coffee again without suffering indigestion and I am enjoying Lattes, but would like to experiment with others at Costa type places. :D
A number of years ago I was in the USA on business,whilst there I went into a coffee house the coffee was terrible I came the the conclusion they didn't know how to make decent coffee in the USA,now I still think the same but I think they also use inferior coffee beans,the coffee is still terrible now.That coffee shop is now all over the UK andI don't use it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This is what we have been getting for a couple of years. Not the very best but quite nice and works out a reasonable price if purchased this way.

1633366610165.png

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember my uncle bring back, for my mother a Coffee Percolator from America, a fantasic thing to watch a small glass top where the coffee bubbled away . They must have had ground beans of some sort. I preffered , Ovaltine. I was 7 years old.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I remember my uncle bring back, for my mother a Coffee Percolator from America, a fantasic thing to watch a small glass top where the coffee bubbled away . They must have had ground beans of some sort. I preffered , Ovaltine. I was 7 years old.
Drinking percolated coffee is what put me off coffee for quite awhile. Bitter unpleasant taste. However this was way back in the sixties. Then along came instant coffee in early seventies.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Years back we had one of these. A real talking piece at dinner as most people couldn't see how it would make the coffee. The water boiled in the bottom jug and then flowed up into the top glass through the ground coffee beans. When you put the burner out the water then flowed back down into the jug.

Like most coffee machines the flavour depends on what you put in it.

coffee.jpg

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Years back we had one of these. A real talking piece at dinner as most people couldn't see how it would make the coffee. The water boiled in the bottom jug and then flowed up into the top glass through the ground coffee beans. When you put the burner out the water then flowed back down into the jug.

View attachment 2420
Hi,
Looks like a Cona percolator,we got one similar as a wedding present

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

View attachment 2420

We also used to have one. There was a tapered glass rod with a roughened surface that plugged the top from the bottom and acted as the filter when the vacuum was formed.

it worked OK. And worked for tea as well so long os you did not allow it to brew for too long.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts