Collecting our 2009 Swift Conqueror!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 11, 2008
Visit site
i am thinking that the dealers do not do pdi on new vans as when i brought my new van and the mother in-law brought hers on the same day picked up the same day both vans had faults and was also old it worked when we checked it but as i pointed out on one could of checked the electrics as there was no fuses in the vans and these were new vans not display.

i was told out the back by one of the tecs that they do not do pdi's as the customer would come back when there is a fault so they let the customer do the pdi.

would not go back there again and i fixed my van my self and the mother in-laws as well at lest i knew it was fixed

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Jon-George,

I think thats what happened to me and I believe you are dead right.

Also have fixed some of the issue myself as well!!

But found some more as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Caravanners have known for many years that there are good dealers and bad , could not care less dealers.

As i and others have stated many times on this forum a good dealer is worth their weight in gold. I have dealt with the same dealer for 20+ years during which time i have purchased 8 new caravans from them. All P.D.i.'s done without fault, and on collecting the caravans a full demonstration on how everthing works with water and electric connected.

It is a 350 mile round trip to my dealer but worth every penny in cost and time.I have been offered "fancy" deals at shows but no way would i change my dealer.

Who is my dealer? GOLDEN CASTLE CARAVANS at Staverton Airport. Good service from a respected dealer is far more important to me than an extra

G

picked up 2year old van from dealer near a1 army barracks towed on to site set up ,boiler was leaking ,phoned dealer told to bring it back 2weeks holiday gone would not trust them adinky toy no pdi 200 pound out of pocket love dealers

May 11, 2008
Visit site
i have asked for a pdi check sheet and the dealer saying no names said they are not for customers use so all i can get from this there is not one

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jon George

Ask the manufacturer. It's they who tell the dealer what to PDI.

Yet again the whole issue of QA & QC at the manufacturers raises its head.I wish PC mag would do a detailed article involving as many manufacturers as possible. I for one want to understand why people like James have all this aggro. He spent a lot of money!

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My van is a Swift product and it was new in 2003. Apart from the Thetford fridge it has been excellent, and I have not really had to pressure the Dealer over anything, so cannot comment on that aspect. Over the years I added bits here and mods there and it is now pretty well much as I want it. However, due to it's age - and the fact that it has been very heavily used - we are considering changing to the new rear washroom/fixed bed type of van. Two things have stopped me getting my wallet out.

1. I am loathe to part with my much modded current van.

2. When I hear the horror stories that people publish after buying a new van

It is the second point that really makes me concerned. I know that there must be plenty of people that buy new and are perfectly happy with their purchase - just as I was in 2002. However there must be many people for whom changing their van, regardless of make, has turned into a nightmare. This is borne out by the high number of adverse comments on this and similiar forums. For this reason I am afraid that Mr Swift is , at the moment, losing a sale !

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget Rod that people post on caravan internet forums primarily to air their grievances and to supply anecdotal stories of thing that they have experience on previous occasions when buying. The overall picture may be distorted because we complain on forums, I hope that is the case anyway.

I'd venture to suggest that the majority of caravanners are happy enough with their caravans whatever the make but those of us who use the internet forums have masses of information instantly at our disposal and armed with our knowledge we're hardly a caravan salesman's dream punter.

We can also get instant good advice online for when things do go wrong and the rise in internet use will slowly force the standards of Q A to be raised, not least because manufacturers such as Swift and Bailey monitor caravan forums and use this instant focus group to identify problems early on in production.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Parksy, I hear what you say and would agree that most people would use the likes of this forum to air grievances rather than pat a manufacturer or supplier on the back. Interestingly,one company that does buck this trend is Powrwheel, where everything that seems to be said about them is very positive - and, in my opinion, having dealt with Powrwheel since 2002, they thoroughly deserve the praise that they get. Of course they, like any manufacturer, of any type of comodity, sometimes find they have a problem with a product in the field. Where they succeed, and many have failed, is that they react exceedingly quickly, minus all of the 21st century bulls**t that many other suppliers dry to drown us in, and resolve the problem with no fuss, and a very friendly attitude. Could be that one or two of the van manufacturers should get their marketing bod's down to Powrwheel and learn a lesson or two !!

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello Parksy, I hear what you say and would agree that most people would use the likes of this forum to air grievances rather than pat a manufacturer or supplier on the back. Interestingly,one company that does buck this trend is Powrwheel, where everything that seems to be said about them is very positive - and, in my opinion, having dealt with Powrwheel since 2002, they thoroughly deserve the praise that they get. Of course they, like any manufacturer, of any type of comodity, sometimes find they have a problem with a product in the field. Where they succeed, and many have failed, is that they react exceedingly quickly, minus all of the 21st century bulls**t that many other suppliers dry to drown us in, and resolve the problem with no fuss, and a very friendly attitude. Could be that one or two of the van manufacturers should get their marketing bod's down to Powrwheel and learn a lesson or two !!
i would just like to say that although you want your lovely new van so you can go away on holiday, with the amount of faults you have picked up on this van it seems to me not to be fit for purpose and of a really shady build. i would be inclined to return it in exchange for another van or a full refund!! Good luck !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Found it Jim

Agree , very poor show.

On the basis what you say is true, I believe you, why can't the offending dealer / Manufacturer explain here why you had all this trouble? This could easily be arranged between you and the parties involved without you having to name them thus not breaking the forum rules. Ever the optimist!

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I too have just picked up a brand new Swift conqueror, after parting with the required amount of money. I was totally stunned by the invitation to part with even more to activate an all singing and dancing tracking device which only does slightly more than my existing Phantom Proactive but for a lot more cost and doesnt attract any more discount from the insurers.I was told at the time of purchase that this tracker was free for the first twelve months but this does not seem to be the case, after spending 16500 on a caravan I would expect the tracker to be activated in this price. Swift tell me that this device is a standard fitment to their conqueror range, but what happened to customer choice?

The caravan has been delivered with a multitude of faults and I have to say that I am more than somewhat dismayed that it was sold to anybody in this condition, quality control must have been out to lunch when this one was signed off, sealant eveywhere the inspector or whoever touched, PDI look to have done their best but to no avail.

First trip out the external water pump fuse has blown, this is shared by the toilet flush and the cooker ignition, I have tried 4 new 10 amp fuses but it is definitely dead, blown the lot. When the water in the onboard tank runs out thats it, no more water supply, back the jerry can!!!! Off to the dealers tomorrow(bank holiday monday) wont mention who at this time, but lets see what develops

Derek

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I thought the industry was getting its act together and up to this post have been impressed by Swift. The dealers have been moaning on this forum but there is no excuse for Swift to send this out.

By the way where is the comment from the Swift rep - Andy?

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Alex,

I agree Its worrying reading the list of issues James has had. As I have said many times before I am not going to defend poor quality and if we have got it wrong we will put it right.

Having said that it is difficult to comment here without a name, dealer, chassis number or address for James. We did ask James if he wanted our help to contact us. As yet I don't believe he has but the offers is there.

Thanks Andy

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Andy for your 'Swift' response.

I am interested in the outcome as I am impressed with my Abbey and will be updating in the next year.

I, like others on this forum, will be interested in the outcome and resolution of James' complaint.

Alex

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Andy,

Having returned from our 1st trip in the Conqueror, I have identified some other faults.

The design faults are another matter!

I am STILL waiting for a reply that Ash promised me on the 1st. April relating to my 'modification fix' on the protruding screws.

Obviously we would like to be the first to know what went wrong.

Regards

James

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Derek,

Sorry to hear you have had a similar experience to us.

It totally takes the edge off the enjoyment getting a new van should bring.

I too complained about paying

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I think Swift's problem is there just isn't enough skilled and competent English speaking Trades people.

The government realized this many years ago and brought out the NVQ to plug the gap and we are now all suffering the consequences from this fiasco.

Of course you don't pay poor money for a poor job and you don't get a refund because incompetent workers built your van.

I think we are all doomed!

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
James,

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the issues that you have had with your van. There were a number of quality issues which should not have been there. Please be assured we are addressing these issues internally. I am not going to make excuses or to defend poor quality issues. What we would like to do is ensure we put right these issues.

I understand from Julie (Swift)that you have resolved a number of the issues yourself, with some still outstanding to be done by your dealer. The outstanding parts for the front windows and panel for the coat hooks are on order.

We will be in touch to confirm the outstanding issues in the meantime please accept my apology on behlaf of the Swift Group,

Regards

Andy

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
My nearest and biggest Swift main dealer has still not got ant 2009 Conquerors on display.

Is this because of the quality issues being mentioned ?

Bill

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Personally if it was me and I was in James's or anybody else's position after discovering all them faults would be

a) Park the caravan outside the dealers over a weekend detailing the faults ant lack of customer service and telling everybody who will listen.

or

b)Go straight to the manufacturers head office and after calling all the trade and local press on the way there reverse the caravan right upto the front door or find the directors cars and block them in and refuse to move until issues have been resolved satisfactorily.

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I understand what you are saying how many times in the past say 12 months have you come out and said that you would resolve issues?

Surely spending more time checking them over before they leave the factory would spare everybody the time and effort involved in rectification work as I am quite sure everybody including your good self has got 100 other things to do.

As I keep telling our children it works out a lot quicker to do the job properly in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts