Comments On Follwoing Caravans Please - Elddis Avante 556SE w...

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
We are currently in the market to purchase our 1st caravan and have opted for the 6 berth fixed rear bunk layout as feel it suits our needs perfectly. We are buying new and have looked at the models listed and are after some useful advise and your own experiences with these particular vans we have seen. Any thoughts positive or negative welcomed.

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi

we used a Bailey Ranger 550/6 extensively last year (2005) and thought it was well laid out, very comfortable, easy to tow (towcar Merc 320ML) and very reasonably priced. We have just changed to a Senator Carolina which gives the larger end washroom as we found the 550/6 washroom quite cramped. Overall though we give it 10/10.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
hi there we bought an abbey aventura 330 earlier this year.. we have 2 small boys who love the freedon they have of having their own bunks. the model we got is actually called cardinal 330 a dealer special.. we love it.. its a dream to tow with our freelander.. we had a few little niggles with the van but over all the vans we looked at the abbey won.. even over the bailey which we also liked hope this helps daz

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Had a very bad experience with an Eldiss Avante 556. I was so unhappy I traded it in for a Bailey Pageant Bretagne. Love the Bailey, hated the Eldiss (would never buy another one).

However, I may have just been unlucky with the Eldiss (Friday afternoon job).

IMHO the Bailey has more storage, better lighting, better construction. The Eldiss has more power & TV sockets, a better positioned warm air vent near the door and a larger toilet waste canister so needs emptying less often. If the Eldiss comes with a radio be prepared to pay for a proper radio aerial to be fitted otherwise reception is very poor.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Had a very bad experience with an Eldiss Avante 556. I was so unhappy I traded it in for a Bailey Pageant Bretagne. Love the Bailey, hated the Eldiss (would never buy another one).

However, I may have just been unlucky with the Eldiss (Friday afternoon job).

IMHO the Bailey has more storage, better lighting, better construction. The Eldiss has more power & TV sockets, a better positioned warm air vent near the door and a larger toilet waste canister so needs emptying less often. If the Eldiss comes with a radio be prepared to pay for a proper radio aerial to be fitted otherwise reception is very poor.
Forgot to mention the rear storage. The Eldiss and Bailey bottom bunks are hinged on different sides. If you are going to use the rear 'garage' (by folding up the bottom bunk) each arrangement has advantages and disadvantages depending on how you want to use the space.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We have a 2004 Bailey Ranger 550/6, and we are pleased with it (it's our 1st van), it has loads of storage space, though would agree that the washroom is a tadge bit small - however, we use the showers on sites normally and only use the toilet in the van.

Lolly x

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Your a brave man spending all that money on a new van never having bought a caravan before, you stand to loose a lot of money if for some reason you dont like caravanning. I'm sure you will but I have know pepole do what your doing and ended up selling at a large loss because they did not like towing or other members of the family were not keen after thier first couple of trips.

I advise pepole to get themselves a cheap second hand one first see how you like all aspects of caravanning and use the van to trade in for a new one you'll not lose much money that way and you'll know more of what the whole family is looking for from a carravan. Giving you a better feel of the new caravan that best suits you.

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
I agree with the last poster - buy a second hand one first, you stand to lose a lot less money if you decide caravanning is not for you (possibly nothing if you make a good purchase). We had a 20 year old Abbey GT for a couple of years and then bought a new Bailey Bretagne last year with the intention of keeping it for at least 6 or 7 years. We love it. My only real gripe would be the size of the washroom although we have showered in it many times, oh and the lack of lighting at the rear of the van. If you do buy one of these make sure it's had the modifications at the rear bunk area (vent in door, slatted bed bases, heater vent at the bottom of the rear cupboard.). If I had the money and a large enough tow vehicle I'd go for the Carolina - a lovely van.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, we bought our 1st van brand new in oct 05.it is an avondale dart 556/6 godiva special edition.we took a chance buying a new van in case i didnt like caravanning.my partner had been caravanning thoughout his childhood so he has had good ex.the avondale was not one of your choices but i agree with one of the other comments.the dart has the same layout as you want but the washrooms are very small.if we knew what was going to happen once we had the van i wouldnt have picked that van.the weights were fine but to cut a long story short the 307 sw went and we bought a vanxhall monterey same as a trooper.

if we had the monterey when we bought the van we would have had either fixed bunks with an end washroom (twin axel).or something like a bailey with a fixed bed and an end washroom.

we dont use the shower in the van we use the caravan club site ones because they are usually fantastic.have a look at the sprites aswell, get all the brochures and visit as many dealers or online dealers as you can.hope this helps

May 16, 2006
Visit site
We have just bought a brand new Sprite Major 6 which has the same rear fixed bunk layout, having done extensive research into caravans. We can't wait to take delivery on 1st June. We have 2 young boys who are really looking forward to their first outing in their bunks. We chose the Sprite because it offered Swift quality at a really good price (we had a good deal from Highbridge caravans). we also liked the modern styling.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
We have just bought a brand new Sprite Major 6 which has the same rear fixed bunk layout, having done extensive research into caravans. We can't wait to take delivery on 1st June. We have 2 young boys who are really looking forward to their first outing in their bunks. We chose the Sprite because it offered Swift quality at a really good price (we had a good deal from Highbridge caravans). we also liked the modern styling.
great caravan, just wished they had bought this out when we were looking last year we would have saved about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts