Comments please on the following CC sites - Lake District

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi there, just after your comments and recommendations on the following CC sites in and around the Lake District and to there suitability to a family (kids age 7 - well behaved and supervised at all times)

We have a van with a compact all in one washroom.

Also what are the midges like etc?

Park Coppice - Coniston ?

Low Park Wood - Kendal ?

Low Manesty - Nr Keswick (no shower Block)

Englethwaite Hall - nr Carlisle (no shower block)

Look forward to your replys, Many Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew, We are big fans of the lakes visiting several times a year. Stayed on all the sites you have mentioned with the exception of Low Manestry. All sites well up to usual CC standards, our favourites are Troutbeck Head and Englethwaite Hall which even though it has no toilet block if you like the countryside it is one of the best sites you can stay on. Never had a problem with midges in the lakes. All the sites have limitec facilities for kids, but our two who are now in their teens having been visiting these sites with us since they were small. Mind they have always enjoyed walking and getting out and about in the countryside.

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
Coniston is a super site but the roads in {from north and south] are narrow and winding.Low Park Wood is also a very nice site but some of the pitches are very tight. I would also recommend Troutbeck Head.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

We haven't stayed at Low Manesty but went to see what it was like when we were in the district.The approach is over 2 humpy bridges and into the village of Grange.This was packed with cars parked in the street and was really tight ......and we were solo!! The site itself is a paradise for hill walkers.....caravans dotted in amongst the trees,so lots of wild life to see.

We usually go to Troutbeck Head ( 11 miles from Keswick/Penrith.)It is a very open site but ringed by hills so the outlook is pleasant.

Another one which we use on a regular basis is Meathop Fell nr.Grange Over Sands. It is always essential to book here as it is very popular.A lot more trees than Troutbeck,but also open spaces.Grange is old fashioned but we like it.

Englethwaite is approx 10 mins from the M6 and is a lovely site in the grounds of an old estate.Lord B stayed there just recently and rates it highly.

Richard S states he has never had trouble with midges .......well,they are now noticeable at Troutbeck (we were told that they were Scottish midges moving south!!!! Believe that if you want.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We've never stayed at Low Mansety, but would recommend any of the others. We have a long TA, but haven't had any problems with access.

Troutbeck is the most easily accessed (5 minutes from A66), but we too experienced midges there. There's an outdoor centre next door to Troutbeck (quad bikes, horses etc) and it's easy to go east to Penrith or west to Keswick.

Park Coppice is almost on the lake, so is ideal for outdoor pursuits.

Low Park Wood is just of the link road to Kendal from the M6 and so it's easy to get into Kendal for shopping etc.

Englethwaite Hall - love it! But it's the quieter of these and maybe less child orientated.

And the rain has now stopped up here!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
We were at Low Manesty for a week recently and I have to say it is a big favourite. I don't think it's your best bet if you prefer a loo block though, I would go to Troutbeck. Keswick is good on a wet day and you can take a boat trip around the Lake.If you have bikes there is a good local cycle path too.

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations so far!

I would love to try Troutbeck Head, as my parents realy liked it there last year, as well as Meathop Fell in the South Lakes. They have not stopped praising it, like many of you on here, however when we are planning to go it is fully booked, so I think it will have to wait for the next time in the Lakes.

We are going to Castlerigg Hall for our main site, this will be our 2nd time at this site.

The reason for asking for recommendations and comments on the the above CC sites in question as of my 1st post, is that they did have availability for when we plan to go!

Our other idea would possibly to try a CL for the 1st time, however a little unsure!

Again Many Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts