Comments please!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
New car time!

I`ve shortlisted a Passat TDI 140 Sport, Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel sport and a Saab 9-3 150 diesel in some spec or other to replace trusty Passat TDI 130 Sport. Anybody got any of the above?

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Angus, I would stay with the VW, I also had a 130tdi sport passat which was an excellent tow car, second choice would be the Honda but the Saab is pretty much a Vectra and so I wouldnt touch one.

spj

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angus, I will put a word in for the Accord having used one for the last eighteen month as a company vehicle. In comparison with the Passat which we also have in the company fleet I think the Honda diesel is far superior, certainly in the refinement stakes. Towed with the Honda before changing our own car and found it to be a great towcar. Cannot comment on the Saab as I have no experience of the car.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
As the candidates polled one vote each, I used my casting vote and after much deliberating, have taken delivery of a Passat TDI 140 Sport Estate, but to be honest the result was really a toss-up between the Passat and the Honda.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well for me it's Rena------, VW passat actually.

Very well built with a good pedigree and a high residual value (trade in).

SAAB are nice but one of the fastest depreciators according to Auto Express mag.

Honda are good and highly spec'd but I think the Japs tend to stretch out the power from their engines and they then lack long term sustainability.

The Germans are more build it big and stronger to last longer.

Six cylinder truck engines in their cars and all that jazz.

Steve L.

P.S. I'll still drive mine with a string of onions hung from the door mirrors!!??.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I`ve had the new Passat for three weeks now, but haven`t towed yet. What I have found is that although the engine is quieter and smoother than the old 130 unit, it loves to rev, and is a lot `peakier` than the old lump.

There is a lot less `low down stomp` and you can`t go for gaps like you can with the old `un. In addition, the overall gearing is higher and so you have to use the gearbox a lot more and you usually need to be at least one gear lower to make progress.

This makes it nice and quiet at speed, but in terms of towing performance it doesn`t bode well unless it loosens up LOADS. I`ve tried its sister car and thats the same, so I haven`t got a rogue. Anyone out there actually towed with one? I`d like to know what you think, and if you think it`s good, what are you comparing it with?

Ta!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello angus, i had a 140 in a golf as a company car and boy did it go,only problem was it loved to be reved and was very peaky.but they may be different in a heavier body,now got a120 multijet fiat,that feels a lot more torquey bottom end,personally i,d go for the honda,the engine,s bigger in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS