Comparison?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If its quality you are looking for, the Super Sprite should be best although Swift do turn out some problem models and Eldiss some very good ones. The percentages are in favour of the Super Sprite, but no guarantees. If you read the magazines customer surveys Swift models have always beaten the Eldiss ones for customer satisfaction, but both have happy customers..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Eldis Avante 8's or Swift super sprite, similar layouts in 8' wide vans, any thoughts of quality betweeen them?
Difficult to really advise as surveys tend to be based on historical inputs, whereas since Hymer took over Eldiss the quality seems to have improved. At the end you will probably decide based on features and price. But I would recommend going to a local main dealer not one many miles away to save a few pounds. Then if you do have any problems it’s far less hassle to take it back for remedial work. If buying pre owned make absolutely sure that the caravan has been maintained in warranty. Swift dealers upload service documents to Swift’s database. My van had a fully stamped service book but Swift would not accept it as some of the services had not been uploaded by the AWS service workshop. So I had to chase down the service sheets and then upload to Swift. After that all was okay. I don’t know how Eldiss do it.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Yep, on balance I have decided to stay local, dealer is about a mile away and have saved about enough to but new as the cost of secondhand to new isn't so great a gap.
Due to various lockdowns we still haven't been in any but hopefully by the time we are freed up again they will have a fair bit of their 2021 stock in for us to get in and choose one.
My understanding is that new stock may be in short supply too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep, on balance I have decided to stay local, dealer is about a mile away and have saved about enough to but new as the cost of secondhand to new isn't so great a gap.
Due to various lockdowns we still haven't been in any but hopefully by the time we are freed up again they will have a fair bit of their 2021 stock in for us to get in and choose one.
My understanding is that new stock may be in short supply too.
Yes I’ve read that for some makes 2021 orders are all sold up front.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'd look at the 'what you get for the money' and what you think of the cupboard colours etc-the things you have to live with. Both nice caravans.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Well I have to say our 2020Buc is outstandingly well made. Not a mark or scratch, every cupboard in perfect alignment and sealant so neatly applied unlike our previous van from a different maker. So much sealant kicking about I had to spend half a day clearing out the awning rail as we couldn't use the awning. It is the First new van that was faultless right up to First device when the alarm relay on the awning light stuck on. Quickly fixed at service. Other than that not a single fault.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Well I have to say our 2020Buc is outstandingly well made. Not a mark or scratch, every cupboard in perfect alignment and sealant so neatly applied unlike our previous van from a different maker. So much sealant kicking about I had to spend half a day clearing out the awning rail as we couldn't use the awning. It is the First new van that was faultless right up to First device when the alarm relay on the awning light stuck on. Quickly fixed at service. Other than that not a single fault.
Nice vans but a wee tickle out of my price range.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes but made on the exact same production lime as the Avante made by the same people and the exact same bodyshell. So this is what iwould expect my Avante to be like. The only difference is the kit they put in ie Alde underfloor instead of blown heat etc.

Reactions: Beachball and Cammy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Eldis Avante 8's or Swift super sprite, similar layouts in 8' wide vans, any thoughts of quality betweeen them?
Hi Cammy some friends of mine own a Eldis Avante 860 caravan they have it on a seasonal site they love it . but have a look at the Swift at present i have a Abbey it has luxury deep sprung cushions .

Reactions: Cammy and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi Cammy some friends of mine own a Eldis Avante 860 caravan they have it on a seasonal site they love it . but have a look at the Swift at present i have a Abbey it has luxury deep sprung cushions .
Will do Beachball thanks. The dealer has both supposedly coming into stock so will get in them both.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Cammy,

You specifically ask about the relative "quality" of the two models, As others have implied it's difficult to say with any certainty that one make is better than the other, and the reality is UK caravan quality across the whole sector is very variable. You best defence is to go and look your self at as suitable caravans as you can, and I'd suggest by from a local dealer so you get a meaningful warranty and you won't be so inconvenienced if you need to have work done on the caravan.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Hello Cammy,

You specifically ask about the relative "quality" of the two models, As others have implied it's difficult to say with any certainty that one make is better than the other, and the reality is UK caravan quality across the whole sector is very variable. You best defence is to go and look your self at as suitable caravans as you can, and I'd suggest by from a local dealer so you get a meaningful warranty and you won't be so inconvenienced if you need to have work done on the caravan.
Thanks Prof., yep probably a difficult one to answer. They are both the entry level ranges in those lines albeit the 8' wide options so do end up in a similar price bracket and as Jezzer said it will likely come down to fit and finish once we can get inside some.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our dealer who stocks Compass, which are the same as Eldiss but with different fabrics, did say that they thought the quality had improved since the takeover but that could be sales talk, so I would not rely on it. They are nicely designed though but we liked a raised end the front lounge seats, we looked at the Sprites as well but felt the shower was too small but these are personal and a lot depends on what you want rather than us.
If the dealer does Bailey's they are worth a look, although if you want an 8 ft wide model the cost is higher there, but you do get a bit more upmarket model.

Reactions: Cammy
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Joined here last July Ray to try and narrow down what may be a good option but I am not sure I am any further forward.:)
I think the only thing I am set on is it has to be at least a 4 berth for the space and likely to be a Bailey, swift or eldiss and probably a new van. I think.:unsure:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Prof., yep probably a difficult one to answer. They are both the entry level ranges in those lines albeit the 8' wide options so do end up in a similar price bracket and as Jezzer said it will likely come down to fit and finish once we can get inside some.
It seems that you are looking at the Avante 860 which is the only Elddis one that is 8' wide. The other option is the Compass 860 also an Elddis in disguise. See https://elddis.co.uk/models/casita-860
However beware of caravans with island beds at the rear as you lose a lot of storage space when travelling. If you bung stuff under the bed for travelling it lowers the nose weight and you may end up with the tail wagging the dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
It seems that you are looking at the Avante 860 which is the only Elddis one that is 8' wide. The other option is the Compass 860 also an Elddis in disguise. See https://elddis.co.uk/models/casita-860
However beware of caravans with island beds at the rear as you lose a lot of storage space when travelling. If you bung stuff under the bed for travelling it lowers the nose weight and you may end up with the tail wagging the dog.
Maybe the 840 too, like the side dinette and the same price, I also like the cooking/washing island being separated from the front furnishings.
Swift super major sb/eb and the super quattro FB also may be in the running.

Good point for me to remember when the wife is loading the van. (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You have not mentioned how many in the family or if it is just you and the missus. This could influence the decision on layout. The Avante 840 is a twin axle and IMHO tows a lot better than a single axle, but you will need a motor mover. Actually a motor mover on any caravan is a bonus.

Our preferred payout is the Crusader Storm with the transverse bed. The bed is directly behind the axles so makes it easy when storing items under the bed and keeping nose weight to about 100kg.

Reactions: Cammy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts