Concerned about overseas Travel

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We have been taking our van overseas for years, primarily France and Spain and we really enjoy the normally good weather etc , and we always try somewhere different
But over the past couple of years we have been seeing more and more stories about holiday makers being robbed and Bogus police stories etc
We used to sleep over in Aires on the journeys up and down , but now we stay in proper sites - which is not quite as convenient , but obviously it feels safer.
Its probably worth saying that we have never had any issues whatsoever , but I just feel more anxious each time - I guess the easy answer is to stay in the UK - Maybe in my early fifties I am getting too old ?

Andy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Andy, we too have been travelling for many years on the continent, and I read the bogus police story this morning and I too am worried.
We leave for france in 3 weeks and if there are any issues with tunnel delays we may need to travel a little later into the evening to get to our first camp site (we never sleep in aires and only use busy ones during the day).I am now 60 and do think you get a bit more cautious a s we get older. having said that its not going to stop me, I will just be aware that there are these things happening and try not to put myself at any risk where i can help it.
Regards Maddy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We are going down to Spain the second week of August , I am trying not to let it stop us and it is often better when you are actually on your way - still does not stop my concerns though.
I guess it is the same wherever you go , you just feel more exposed when towing a van !

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We as a family first took our caravan to France in 1981 and then thought nothing of stopping for the night in the quietest of AutoRoute rest areas. But as the years went by, it became more risky. I still travel down to southern Spain - now on my own, every year. I try to be aware of the dangers and risks and hope that I'll anticipate any trouble, however I wouldn't allow the worries to stop me from travelling.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Have been taking our trailer tent / then caravan to Europe for 30+ years and never had any trouble. We always stay in "proper" campsites for overnights when travelling and when going down to southern Spain or Portugal we stop for a couple of nights to have a break mid-way. There are planty of good sites close to main routes - check in thre Caravan Club and Campoing and Caravan site guides, also ACSI and Alan Rogers - and watch for recommendations on the forum.
We are now 76 and 70 and hope to keep travelling there for many more years (DV) - then will be the time to explore the UK.

We keep car and caravan doors locked whenever we are travelling though towns.
We never use motorways/autoroutes unless there is no alternative, or to get round big cities. N and D roads are much quieter and more interesting.

We have only once had an "incident" - someone tried to grab open the car rear door (presumably to steal whever was to hand) whilst we were in slow moving traffic - luckily the doors were locked so they got nothing. When we stop for lunch at an Aire or restaurant we also put on the hitchlock before leaving the van. We look for Relais Routier cafes for a lunch stop if we can find one around 12 noon - 1pm - excellent value for money and the van feels secure parked in amongst lorries.

Have a great trip

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think it's a combination of 'an age thing' and being able to read these stories instantly on line. We didn't have access to the internet when we started, so never heard about any incidents at all unless they happened to friends or neighbours. Now they're all over Forums, Facebook, Twitter, and shared on mobiles everywhere - and so everything is much more 'in your face'. Often the stories are exaggerations, misinterpretations, or even insurance frauds. Our (very nice house/car/caravan) neighbours were supposedly victims of a gassing incident near Biarritz, but were eventually charged and convicted of insurance fraud.

We've been holidaying for thirty-five years in France, and don't feel any less safe now than we did at the beginning - but then we take the same precautions now as we did then - and we've never had anything untoward happen either on Aires or on campsites. We don't bother with a hitchlock, ever, we stop and shop in supermarket carparks and leave the caravan unattended, and we often leave stuff outside the caravan under the sun canopy.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
well we go in a couple of weeks so trying not to worry too much , we will still keep going to Europe - just need to keep convincing myself that the perceived extra risk is worth it !!
Andy

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with ValA. For heavens sake, stop looking for things to worry about, and go and enjoy your holiday! Too old at 50+? My wife will be 80 next year, and we hope to tour for a few years yet.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......... and Jaydug who posted earlier in this topic is in his mid 80's and tows his caravan unaccompanied all the way to Southern Spain every year!

...........hope you don't mind me mentioning your age John :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Gafferbill said:

...........hope you don't mind me mentioning your age John :unsure:

Hello Bill - You both OK? I've already got the ferry booked for next winter. Out on the 1st November and back home 1st March. Whilst I'm there I'll have my 86th birthday - I hope.. :eek:hmy:

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
andyp1 said:
We have been taking our van overseas for years, primarily France and Spain and we really enjoy the normally good weather etc , and we always try somewhere different
But over the past couple of years we have been seeing more and more stories about holiday makers being robbed and Bogus police stories etc
We used to sleep over in Aires on the journeys up and down , but now we stay in proper sites - which is not quite as convenient , but obviously it feels safer.
Its probably worth saying that we have never had any issues whatsoever , but I just feel more anxious each time - I guess the easy answer is to stay in the UK - Maybe in my early fifties I am getting too old ?

Andy

Hi Andy we have been travelling in Europe with Caravan for 12 years now into 14 Countries. We have never had a problem but we always feel a lot safer in Holland, Germany and Austria, Italy too. . France and Spain are the two that I do not feel happy in with or without the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts