Condensation/damp windows

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have a new Compass Amazon (based on the Corona) and having had it only since September are getting a little concerned about the amount of damp on the windowsill. We are fulltimers and therefore are in the 'van permanently and around the front windows the walls get wet and the sides and bottom of the window sill get black & green spores all over them which require constant cleaning, the dampness of the walls also is in the end wardrobe & I have noticed some of our clothing is getting the little green monsters on them too.. any suggestions on how to control this - hopefully its just condensation & not a problem with damp. We also have a "gassy" smell around the front locker and around the 'van itself - is this normal?? (as we're new to this any help would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam & Chris. Firstly get your 'van straight back to the dealers to check out that gassy smell - it certainly should not smell & suggests you've got a leak, either on the gas canister itself, or on the connecting pipes - try putting some washing up liquid around the joints to see if any bubbles form. Make sure the gas is switched off when you're not using the 'van. Condensation is a perennial problem in 'vans as a by product of the gas combustion is water, plus steam from cooking etc. Keep the 'van as well vented as poss, and buy a dehumidifier - costly but it will save your 'van and clothing. Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd get the dealer to check the smell of gas very soon - perhaps they would do a pressure test to establish whether you have a leakin pipe...

We too have a condensation problem in our van in winter. We get round this by having two of the three front windows on night-ventilation opening, and we also open the Heki roof-lights to their first ventilation setting. With a few windows and the rooflights open just a tiny bit, and the heating on overnight, it does the trick and you'll find that any moisture is taken out of the van by convection of the heating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam&Chris,

I believe having been in the same situation that you are in the advice you have been given so far is good.I did buy a de-humidifier and that really did the trick of completely drying out the caravan it was excellent.I do leave 2 bowls of salt in the caravan and thats a great help but there are people on this forum who would disagree with that idea as apparently salt gives off a gas(after some re-search I have found out that there is onls given off the salt whilst being dried in an oven)but it does keep damp down,you could of course smear a very thin layer of vaseline over any hinges within the caravan to keep any risk of rusting away,Good Luck and Happy Caravanning.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This subject has bothered me for a while and the only advice I ever see, is to use a de-humidifier and plenty of ventilation! Surely one defeats the other, how do you take water out of the air and keep the air in the caravan dry without having a vacuum? Surely the fresh air coming in brings another load of water!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, there are two things that will reduce/prevent/cure condensation adequate heating and adequate ventilation. This applies in normal buildings as well as vans. The insulation value of a van's external elements is low compared to a house and consequently the walls and roof will be cold and water vapour will condense much more readily. Water vapour comes from washing, cooking, breathing, damp towels/clothes etc therefore a sufficient movement of air from in the van to outside will take this vapour with it. But there will always be some dead pockets of air in corners and cupboards for the moisture to condense. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have lived in humid climates most of my life and I can assure you that it's a waste of time having a dehumidifier running if you also have windows open. You are just pouring money away trying to dry up the earth's atmosphere! Much better in winter to run your Carver heater on low (dry heat) and keep your roof hatch open to gain circulation. You could also consider installing a cooker hood and exhaust fan to get rid of cooking vapour.

j

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts