Condensation

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Agree about our Truma, but Dometic Freshjet 2200 removed humidity without cooling down. It had the separate function. Not sure about newer models. On the Truma we need to select manual air con cooling
I'd love to see a technical description as that seems to defy normal physics.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'd love to see a technical description as that seems to defy normal physics.
Who give a zot about normal physics as long as it worked for us. :ROFLMAO: What about cooker hoods that extract the humidity as Dometic market one for caravans. I doubt if they cool down anything.

Anyway putting some windows on night latch and opening the heki in the bathroom wider plus running the air con on manual cooling at 22C for a an hour before going to bed seems to have worked.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Air cons, if not those under discussion here certainly can strip humidity down without overall chilling, using both cooling then reheating stages.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who give a zot about normal physics as long as it worked for us. :ROFLMAO: What about cooker hoods that extract the humidity as Dometic market one for caravans. I doubt if they cool down anything.

Anyway putting some windows on night latch and opening the heki in the bathroom wider plus running the air con on manual cooling at 22C for a an hour before going to bed seems to have worked.
Our cooker hood just dumps the humidity to the outside world. It’s nothing like an aircon unit. So perhaps your kitchen overhead extraction fan would help.Your improvement is possibly because the humidity entrained in the fabric of the van has now started to reduce now you are living in it.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our cooker hood just dumps the humidity to the outside world. It’s nothing like an aircon unit. So perhaps your kitchen overhead extraction fan would help.Your improvement is possibly because the humidity entrained in the fabric of the van has now started to reduce now you are living in it.
I would go along with that but we have never experienced thsi issue previously and last year tha caravan was laid up over the winetr from about September until beginning of May. We also regularly check on the caravan about every 2 weeks as we need to apss the storage location to go to the supermarket.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
To be pedantic only the cooling side will nto work and the same probably applies to many other air cons. The Dometic 2200 Freshjet will still remove humidity, add heat to the caravan and fan will operate.

The cooling part (the evaporator), of the A/C has to operate in order to dry the air. But, as JTQ says, the air will then be heated before you feel it. The danger, as I see it, is that the condensate that is extracted might freeze in the drain tube. This will then back up and block the evaporator. I guess this could be fixed by adding a tube heater in the same way that some have to do in a condensing boiler.

I guess that the Dometic quote I made earlier could be read two ways. It said the A/C does not cool below 16C.

But o doubt it could still freshen and dry.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree about our Truma, but Dometic Freshjet 2200 removed humidity without cooling down. ...

There is no such claim in Dometic's advertising of this appliance

Unless the appliance used hygroscopic crystals or similar chemical process, which would require continual replenishment, is the only other practical way of removing moisture is to chill the air to force it to depress its dew point and cause it to drop some of its moisture content within the appliance. Perhaps it then reheats the air to restore its temperature to give the perception of no cooling.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Condensation is normal after a caravan has been in storage and heating has been put on.
It should reduce as the caravan dries out.
No! That is not correct.

A caravan that has been in storage will have a degree of natural ventilation which over the course of a few days will allow any excess moisture absorbed by the wood and soft materials of the interior of the caravan to release any excess moisture into the air and carry it outside - reducing the moisture level towards the humidity level in the ambient air.

A caravan that's been in storage for more than a few weeks should not exhibit any raised moisture levels. If it does then it must have a water leak, which causes the interior of the caravan to carry a greater humidity load than the ambient air.

Presuming when you reheat the caravan, you are actually using it, then the sources of condensation will be any body breathing or burning an open flame applaince's such as cooker hob or oven. before the interior surfaces and fabric of the caravan has warmed up.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no such claim in Dometic's advertising of this appliance

Unless the appliance used hygroscopic crystals or similar chemical process, which would require continual replenishment, is the only other practical way of removing moisture is to chill the air to force it to depress its dew point and cause it to drop some of its moisture content within the appliance. Perhaps it then reheats the air to restore its temperature to give the perception of no cooling.
It states for cooling and dehumidifying the caravan or motorhome. Two seperate functions? Did you have a Freshjet 2200 installed in your caravan or motorhome?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It states for cooling and dehumidifying the caravan or motorhome. Two seperate functions? Did you have a Freshjet 2200 installed in your caravan or motorhome?
Whether I had this particular model or not, has no relevance to the method of operation .

The removal of moisture from air in such appliances is as I stated.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whether I had this particular model or not, has no relevance to the method of operation .

The removal of moisture from air in such appliances is as I stated.

Our Freshjet 2200 removed humidity from the air and it had that specific function. However it does seem a bit pointless arguing the tosos about it as we now have the Truma which does not have that function and our condensation issue was resolved several posts ago so pointless continuing the thread. Thanks to those that posted that helped with our issue. 👍 :D

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
No! That is not correct.

A caravan that has been in storage will have a degree of natural ventilation which over the course of a few days will allow any excess moisture absorbed by the wood and soft materials of the interior of the caravan to release any excess moisture into the air and carry it outside - reducing the moisture level towards the humidity level in the ambient air.

A caravan that's been in storage for more than a few weeks should not exhibit any raised moisture levels. If it does then it must have a water leak, which causes the interior of the caravan to carry a greater humidity load than the ambient air.

Presuming when you reheat the caravan, you are actually using it, then the sources of condensation will be any body breathing or burning an open flame applaince's such as cooker hob or oven. before the interior surfaces and fabric of the caravan has warmed up.
I've only been touring 45 years what do I know.

Reactions: Buckman
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts