Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
We have recently purchased a Sterling Europa 490 to be towed behind our Renault Laguna 1.9 dCi. The information we relyed upon, including Practical Caravan and advice from the manufacturer said we should be fine, although we would be over 85%. The kerbweight was quoted by PC as 1585kg (we have now found it is closer to 1350kg). We have now received conflicting information from the Caravan Club who say they would not recommend this outfit. We are due to go away tomorrow for our first trip in our new van and this has put a damper on it as we are not sure who is correct and even if we are safe.

Any advice?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have read a few threads over time regarding Renault and towing weights/capacities etc. In fact, when we last changed our car, we had almost decided on the Laguna and because the dealer couldn't answer my specific questions on weights, we decided against. As far as I understand, the towing limit set by Renault only includes the driver, once you add passengers, fuel, luggage etc, you can only tow 1000kg. I would seriously query this with a local dealer or look on www.touringandtenting.com and search for Renault Laguna. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The Laguna 1.9dCi has a maximum permissible towload of 1500kg which is higher than the MTPLM of your Sterling Europa 490 (1400kg), so from that point of view you'd be OK. However, if you load the Laguna up to its maximum permissible GVW of 1980kg, the maximum permissible gross train weight of 3100kg would only allow you to tow 1120kg which is less than the MIRO of the caravan.

It's all very complicated but the bottom line is you can tow the caravan so as it's almost empty and the Laguna isn't fully loaded either. The maximum permissible gross train weight of 3100kg is what's the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts