connecting solar panel

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Have fitted an external socket and in the bottom,away from the 240 socket a Hella 12 volt 16 amp socket to connect solar panel.Does anyone know of a better way to temporarily connect panel which we only use 2 or 3 times a year.It is 85watts and biggest input I have seen is 4 amps.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry no edit facility,should read:-

Have fitted an external socket and in the bottom,away from the 240 socket would like to fit a Hella 12 volt 16 amp socket to connect solar panel.Does anyone know of a better way to temporarily connect panel which we only use 2 or 3 times a year.It is 85watts and biggest input I have seen is 4 amps

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Dave, I have an 80W panel and use MC4 connectors to connect the cables up and onto the regulator. I would have thought that you should be getting more than 4A off your panel. Most panels come with 4 or 6 mm cables with MC4 connectors already fitted which also help if you want to connect up more than one panel. The MC4s are waterproof (forget the IP number) and are easy to connect up which is my main reason for using them, plus they take the 4mm cable which helps to make sure you get the best out of your panel. Some of the plug and socket connectors will not take the heavy cable and I have not checked what the Hella one you mention can handle.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If the Hella is the DIN type then that is fine, I use one on My 85 Watt panel. As has been said you should see more than 4 amps but need the battery to be down a bit and of course bright sun and no haze. I quite frequently see 6+ Amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts