Cons etc

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Can you bleieve it.

I have always heard about the phone calls, emails etc, but my daughter has just had an email asking her to validate bank details for the hsbc. Only one drawback she's never used the bank, a colleague at work had a phone for the same and hung up immediately, I get home from work put on answer machine and there's a message for a holiday I had won, just press 9. good job I can't count that high!!!

Always in 3's they say.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
So, I had a phone call from a bank I have an account with, and they asked me for details to prove it was me before they talked to me.

Now, I believe it was my bank, and they just wanted to sell me something, but quite reasonably, I asked them to first prove that it was them, and not somebody "phishing".

Naturally, they couldn't. They talk about security, but don't actually care - eg by putting your account details out with their rubbish.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I can beleve it!!

Had several similar emails from "Barclays", trouble is I have never banked with them !

Just got to be very careful when viewing mails from anyone you dont know, plus the fact that NONE of the UK financial institutions will ask for any details by email, after all, the ones you are with already know your details!!

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I bank on line because of the speed and convenience - and wouldn't like to change that. But I do sometimes suffer panic attacks when I think that all my wordly finances (not a lot admittedly) are dependent on security systems which are occasionally breached, apparently.

For that reason, I change my password frequently, never reply to emails from my bank, refuse to upgrade to wi-fi, check the accounts daily, and try to cover my key-use tracks with Crap Cleaner after every visit to the site.

I don't deal with any cold calls on the phone, but I know loads of people who have succumbed to competition enticements and have a big telephone bill to prove it!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A bit like Oldfogey, I had a call from my credit card company, after I'd written to them asking to increase my credit limit. During the call I started feeling uneasy when they asked for confirmation of my password but "fortunately" I couldn't remember it. I then wrote and cancelled my request and complained about their security being one-sided! I never got any reply so to this day I don't know whether it was ill thought out procedures or a scam.

G

As far as I am aware NO bank will ever e mail you asking for paswords etc. They will also never telephone you for that information either. They will indeed ask you for a password if YOU call them tho'. If at possible NEVER open e mails that come from 'banks', delete them totally. Although they usually require you to instigate the response, and thereby give away all your information, some may now just tap into your system by just being there, so get rid of them asap.

Look at the address they have used for you, it usually has a mistake in it. If a Company calls you regarding a transaction you have made and ask you to repeat your credit card details, I suggest declining. You can always repeat the order in your own way. If in doubt send a cheque, remember them???

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
I have a method of dealing with these hoax emails. I have a file written in MS word it contains these lines:-

X2DRE43SRT77HBT

REM:RUN:ICARUS

PLAY240;SCAN244

RUNPRO

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN VIRUSED.

GROW UP AND GO GET A JOB

I never get two from the same person. Works everytime.Just attach to reply and call it "Details"

Don

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts