Considering buying a caravan, but need advise on weights etc!

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Im sure that this has been asked many many times, so apologies in advance, but, being honest, im very confused!
The wife and I are considering purchasing either a folding camper, or more preferably a caravan. Although the wife has gazed lovingly around the local dealer at the expensive and long equipment (whilst my eyes have watered at the price!) before making any decisions, my concern that I feel needs addressing is the car that I wish to use to tow either a camper or caravan.
Its a 2004 Skoda Octavia vRS Estate with the 1.8 20v turbo. Its been remapped/chipped and on the face of it, i suspect 'power' wouldnt be an issue. Here is where the confusion for me starts!
I passed my test after 1997 so I am restricted to 3500kg MAM?
Im struggling to work out what I can legally tow given the car and the figures below, then more importantly, whats safe!
The book states that my unladen weight is 1340-1390kg
my V5 says that my Mass in order is 1422kg
Which figure do I take? im presuming erring on the side a caution the lowest?
The maximum braked trailer weight in the handbook is either 1300kg (ascent to 12%) or 1500kg (For specific countries on inclines up to 8%) - no idea what the difference is, thats how its listed in the book!
The handbook states that the permissible weight of trailer drawbar on the towball is 60kg
I also have a sticker on the N/S suspension strut that states 5 figures, 1825kg, 3125kg, 1000kg, 1000kg and 500kg. These are not labelled, and it doesnt seem to say in the handbook what these are, so im presuming that these are "Max car including payload, Gross Train weight, max front axle weight, max rear axle weight, and car payload respectively?
So, does that mean that given my license, the figures I have found etc, I can legally tow upto 1340kg (the lower weight stated in the handbook) based on this being the unladen weight of the car, however, the lowest weight in the handbook is 1300kg, so I should choose this? Am i correct in thinking that 3125kg - 1825kg = 1300kg, therefore confirming the above figure?
If i were to be stopped by police or traffic officers, what information would they go on in the event of an inspection, would it be the sticker under the bonnet and the 'plate' on the caravan, then a weight check to confirm im not exceeding any limits? Basically I want to ensure that everything is in proper order, and if we did go ahead with a purchase, I can forsee a few trips to the local weighbridge!!!
Therefore, to apply the 85% recommendation, i would resonably be looking at a unit with a MAX weight (MTPLM???) of 1105kg?
Ideally I dont want to change the car as i wont be able to afford to do both, and im quite in love with it!
I dont want to spend too much, so have been looking at vans on a popular auction site from early to mid 1990's, is it realistic to find a 4 berth van that would be tow-able by me and this car?
My thoughts are that if we went for a folding camper based purely on weight, we would fairly soon be looking to upgrade to a van, and ideally we would prefer a van based on equipment etc.
Am I over complicating this, and being a little paranoid about weights etc?
Thanks in advance, and apologies again for all the questions!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
All your assumptions are correct. The maximum permissible towload, according to the data that you quote is 3125kg - 1825kg = 1300kg.
The legally valid kerbweight is the one shown in the V5c certificate, i.e. 1422kg.
Therefore, if you wish to make full use of the legal towload limit, the weight ratio will be 91% (actually it could be a fraction worse than that because I haven't taken the noseweight into account)
Although you will be restricted to a 3500kg MAM total on account of your driving licence, you would be well within that limit with your Skoda as it has a max. gross train weight of 3125kg.
In the UK, only the towload limit that is specified for a 12% gradient is the one that VOSA and the police apply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only endorse the information that Lutz has given you is 100% accurate, the only other concern I would have would be your intention to buy a caravan from an auction site, be very carefull, and inspect any caravan that takes your fancy before biding or parting with any of your hard earned cash, a trawl through some of the posts on this forum will give you an insight as to some of the pitfalls that could await you, if unsure, voice your concerns on here, there are lots of knowledgeable folk on here only to willing to put you right.

Good luck Allan.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Many many thanks for your input folks, it has settled my mind somewhat, and is good to see i got it right!
Allan, your absolutely right, although ive been using auction sites to see what is availalble, models, prices etc, my opinion is that once i have factored in travelling to look at a unit, then going to pick it up, then the cost of, at bare minimum, an immediate service and safety check, plus anything else that needs doing, my preference to purchase from a reputable dealer is much favourable. At bare minumum I can then go back to the dealer, look at them and growl convincingly when it all goes abit skew wiffed!
Thanks again for all the advice, its really appreciated, im now off to see how long it will take to save the required funds. No doubt ill be posting a few more newbie type questions!

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,

Ask away, these forums are not just for old buffers like me, theye are here to offer some advice and guidance to al Tom's Dick's and Harriet's- so please do ask.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts