Continental travel

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
I would welcome advice as to the easiest route from France into Italy. I have no planned route in either country so the actual crossing point is not fixed.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
This is my route for outward journer in May this year. I am also too mean to pay tolls.

Calais,Aachen. Stutgart,Ulm, Kempten Interlarken,Brenner pass to Italy.

Comming Home will be different as it will be a case of avoiding the football.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Mike, I think you must be confusing Interlaken with Innsbruck. Going from Kempten to the Brenner Pass via Interlaken would be a very roundabout way.

Even if you avoid motorways in Austria so that you don't have to pay the motorway toll there, you've still got the 8 Euros to pay to get over the Brenner.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
sorry stand navigational corrected and I cant even blame the lack of a spell checker for that one.

regards tolls in Austria and Italy at least they are value for money.

With duly smacked wrist I return to my hole

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geoff we have travelled to Italy a few times and also being too mean to pay the French tolls found that the prefered route for us was Lille, Charleroi, Luxemburg (to stock up with cheap fuel and beer), Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart, Munich, Innsbruck and into Italy. We never had any problems with traffic and were able to keep up good speeds. We were heading for Lake Garda and Venice.

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks to all those who have bothered to send me routes to Italy. However, apart from autoroute tolls, which could well be offset by reduced fuel costs,what is wrong with taking as straight a line as possible from Calais to the Italian border?

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
Which part of Italy are you heading for ? I have towed a caravan 3 times from 2002-2004 and still go each year with a tent so can advise you best route to take. Regards Tom

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Which part of Italy are you heading for ? I have towed a caravan 3 times from 2002-2004 and still go each year with a tent so can advise you best route to take. Regards Tom
Thanks, Tom. We have no fixed itinerary - the idea is to make a circular journey (either clockwise or anti) taking in the lakes, Rome and bits of the east and west coast in the process. My wife is a keen gardener and we will be looking at as many classical gardens as possible. My original request was for the easiest (least "hilly") route - we can pick up any route once in Italy.

Thanks again.

Geof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts