Control panel for switching on battery and water pump

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, My caravan is a dealer special "Abbey Expression 640" 2009 modle based on the Abbey Vogue 2. The switch on the control panel which switches on the caravan battery does not appear to be working as the indicator light does not come on and when I disconnect the electric hook up nothing works. When the electric hookup is connected and the battery charger switch is on everything works but only when the charger is switched on. The control panel is a printed circuit. The battery is brand new so I know there is no problem with that as the old battery was flat and after I recharged it it still did not work so I assumed it was dead as it is over 5 years old.
Another symptom was when I attempted to use the motor mover, the rollers moved onto the wheels but would not turn once there. As soon as I connected the electrics to the car it worked. As I say I am fairly sure the battery is Ok as it is brand new and showing fully charged.
I am assuming the problem is with the switch on the printed circuit but does anyone have any other ideas.
Thanks

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, not sure if this is useful or not, but I have had a similar thing recently - When the van was switched to the battery, no 12v equipment worked, and indeed the level gauge showed 0.
I presumed that the battery was 'terminal' and presumed that it had discharged and damaged it. Everything worked fine on hookup with the charger running.
What had actually happened - Our battery box is on the offside under the front seating and our bedding gets stored under here when not in use. There was an in-line blade type fuse holder in the + lead coming from the battery box - the spade connector into this (thankfully the caravan side so no live lead flapping about!) had come out of the fuse holder, effectively isolating the battery. Plugged this back in and all working again.
Might be worth checking for something similar, or the various fuse boards?
Cheers
Rob

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How have you checked the battery state?
Your van will almost certainly have the Nordelectronnica system for power distribution.
With no power connected to the van check th ebattery voltage with a multimeter at the battery terminals (should be around 12.8v).
Now connect power and ensure the charger is switched on , then check th ebattery voltage at th ebattery terminals, it should be reading around 13.5 to 14v

If the voltage reading at the battery does not change with power connected , your charger has failed, which is a common problem with Nord units.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my last van that was an Abbey Expression. There was a blade fuse in a cable from the battery under the fixed bed and I had managed to disconnect this when putting chairs under the bed through the door from outside. When i found this and reconnected it everthing worked fine. Needed to put duct tape over the fuse to stop it happening again.

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies. I am going up to the caravan compound tomorrow to try the various suggested solutions. I have got some spare fuses on board to try. I did have the charger replaced just after I bought the van 5 years ago as it had failed and this was a known problem. I am not sure if they replaced it with the same make but I will check this out aswell.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Pete.

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to keep you up to date on the problem. I replaced the fuse behind the battery box but no joy. I contacted a caravan service engineer who informed me that on my caravan model (Abbey Expression 640 based on the Abbey Vogue 2) there was a mains box in the wardrobe which supplied the 12 volt circuit and that there would be a fuse as this was unique to the Wsift Group. On checking this the only box I could find was the TV arial box although it did have a 12 volt DC lead plugged into it???. Icould not get the box apart so rather than break it I contacted the dealer Michael Jordan Caravans who informed me that there was no mains box in the wardrobe that is was just for the arial. As my van was not part of the Swift Group when it was made 2008/09 it was still Abbey this is possible.
Has anyone else got an Abbey Expression or Abbey Vogue which has got a box in the wardrobe that operates the 12 volt circuit?
Alos as it is looking like it might be the battery switch in the control panel, which is a printed circuit, I asked Michael Jordan for a price for which they quoted £315 for the part. No labour as it can be fitted DIY. Has anyone else ever had to replace the control panel, and if so can it be obtained cheaper than the price I have been quoted. The Panel is a Nordelectronnica.
Regards
Pete

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Peter W said:
Icould not get the box apart so rather than break it I contacted the dealer Michael Jordan Caravans who informed me that there was no mains box in the wardrobe that is was just for the arial. As my van was not part of the Swift Group when it was made 2008/09 it was still Abbey this is possible.

I was under the impression that Swift acquired Abbey in 1992 and continued to use the name untill 2008 09.
my old 2001 Abbey's owners manual was printed by the swift group.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Peter W said:
Alos as it is looking like it might be the battery switch in the control panel, which is a printed circuit, I asked Michael Jordan for a price for which they quoted £315 for the part. No labour as it can be fitted DIY. Has anyone else ever had to replace the control panel, and if so can it be obtained cheaper than the price I have been quoted. The Panel is a Nordelectronnica.
Regards
Pete

Have you looked on Ebay? There are a lot of people who break caravans on there who might have one. have you got a picture of the panel? and have you checked that it is the panel at fault.
Use a multimeter to check that 12v are getting to the switch if it is and nothing is coming out the other side of it then yes it is the switch panel thats duff, if on the other hand no 12v feed is getting to it then the fault somewhere before the switch panel and needs to be traced back.I know it sounds daft but have you checked all the fuses in the main fuse box. also checked that both Leads are on the battery tight?

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the additional advice. I am going away to Hillhead in Devon tomorrow for a week so when I get back I will carry out some checks.

Thanks
Pete

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the additional advice. I am going away to Hillhead in Devon tomorrow for a week so when I get back I will carry out some checks.

Thanks
Pete

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Further to my problem with the control panel, I have had it checked by an electrician friend and it appears that it is defdinately the printed circuit. I phoned the telephone number on the circuit which turned out to be Stelling Ltd in Beverley, East Yorkshire. They told me that it was a common problem with the Nordenelectronica control panel as it was really designed for the continent and low temperatures can cause it to fail. The good news is that they repair them with switches that work at much lower temparatures than we get in this country for a cost of £63.00 plus £8.50 carriage....much better than the £315.00 I was quoted by the dealer.
Thanks again for all of your comments.
Pete W

TRENDING THREADS