Convert Ford Explorer to LPG or buy a Kia Sorento?

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
We have 1998 Ford Explorer 50,000 miles 17 MPG solo 15 MPG towing value £2000 ,6000 miles solo 6000 miles towing per year.

Should I spend £1800 on an LPG conversion, just keep running on petrol or buy a £13,000 Kia Sorento Diesel Auto?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not an easy one to answer as there are so many variables. If short term cost is the question then it is a matter of keep the Explorer and get it converted. If however it is a matter of long term cost then I would consider the Sorento. However if it were me I would opt for an XS Sorento with a 5 speed auto box, dont know which Sorento yoyu are looking at.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi James,

I faced a similar dilema 3 years ago - I had a 98 SWB shogun and had it converted to LPG.

It performed well and I was pleased with the saving at the pump, it reduced running cash flow considerably.

I passed it accross the family to my son as I found that a SWB was not the best towcar niether did it have enough room for my dog - had it been a LWB I would still be using it.

I now tow with a LWB desel Isuzu which is excellent but admit to a hankering back to a nice smooth V6 or V8 petrol/LPG.

I think in your case you need to consider pay back time firstly and then wether your Ford is durable enough to lastfor the next three years without major expense - at 50k it should be in good fettle but only you know what condition it's in.

I have no experience of US Fords but a soreexperience with Jeep and Chrysler - if an Explorer is in the same league as a Cherokee reliability wise then forget it - you might as well pour yourcash down the loo!

Against that you have to consider an additional investment of around

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi James,

I faced a similar dilema 3 years ago - I had a 98 SWB shogun and had it converted to LPG.

It performed well and I was pleased with the saving at the pump, it reduced running cash flow considerably.

I passed it accross the family to my son as I found that a SWB was not the best towcar niether did it have enough room for my dog - had it been a LWB I would still be using it.

I now tow with a LWB desel Isuzu which is excellent but admit to a hankering back to a nice smooth V6 or V8 petrol/LPG.

I think in your case you need to consider pay back time firstly and then wether your Ford is durable enough to lastfor the next three years without major expense - at 50k it should be in good fettle but only you know what condition it's in.

I have no experience of US Fords but a soreexperience with Jeep and Chrysler - if an Explorer is in the same league as a Cherokee reliability wise then forget it - you might as well pour yourcash down the loo!

Against that you have to consider an additional investment of around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts