Cooker will not stay alight.

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, the first trip in a new van (second hand Pegasus 462) was cut short because the hob gas rings would not stay alight. The hob is a Thetford series 170 with spark ignition. It lights instantly but even after holding the knob down for the time it takes to boil a kettle directly you release it the flame goes out. This is the same on all rings so I'm assuming it's not a thermocouple problem but the gas safety valve itself. Has any one had this problem and solved it without removing the hob? If not has anyone removed the hob from a Pegasus?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
colinchris said:
Hi all, the first trip in a new van (second hand Pegasus 462) was cut short because the hob gas rings would not stay alight. The hob is a Thetford series 170 with spark ignition. It lights instantly but even after holding the knob down for the time it takes to boil a kettle directly you release it the flame goes out. This is the same on all rings so I'm assuming it's not a thermocouple problem but the gas safety valve itself. Has any one had this problem and solved it without removing the hob? If not has anyone removed the hob from a Pegasus?

Hi Colin? or Chris?

I'm not entirely familiar with the Thetford product, but I concur with your thoughts on the symptoms. the reason I am responding is a matter of safety. You should only consider working on a gas appliance or installation if you are fully competent with gas systems, and the correct methods of working on and testing them. Particularly with a gas hob which vents into the living space, so it is highly important for the removal and refitting be carried out correctly.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem sounds like it is connected to the ignition/flame recognition system employed by Thetford .

It will involve removing the hob but be very aware it is NOT a DIY job as it may sound simple but its NOT.

Most of the cooker has to be dismantled and it is essential that it is put back together correctly and that the correct gas tests are carried out.

Get a NCC Approved Workshop mobile engineer to sort it out,or if still in warranty, the dealer.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF !!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts