Cooking in a Caravan

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes suitable for a caravan? I have my go to BBQ and of course a bottle of red goes well with anything bar super noodles. Let me know your faves.

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Beef Stir Fry is my go-to recipe. 20 minutes max. Beef, Spring Onions, Mushrooms, Soy sauce & Oyster Sauce. All in one pan. Done when the beef is cooked. Add rice etc. to your desire or super noodles ;) There's good cookbooks out there for people cooking specificallly in caravans/campers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When Cadacing, always have a compulsery sausage, Madness not too. I think most of our nose weight in the van are the wifes Slimming World Cook books. :p

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Depends what you like to be honest. In theory you should be able to recreate just about anything that you can do at home in the caravan. We tend to cook outside most of the time on the cadac or charcoal, even in winter I’ll do the morning full English on the cadac even if I have to stand under a fishing umbrella; We were tentists up until last September so I got used to the braai lifestyle. Recently I have done turmeric chicken thighs which are just thighs marinated in liquidised onion, garlic paste, a little bit of oil, some celery salt and a good measure of turmeric powder to give it the flavour and the deep orangey red colour. Last tie away I also did Prawns in lime and coriander which is raw prawns stir fried with a squeeze of lime juice and some fresh coriander thrown in at the end ( I also give it a splash of Thai fish sauce for seasoning).

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
We have a teppenyaki grill which we can plug in outside and we use that A LOT. If not we have everything we eat at home really: fajitas, chilli, stir fry, salads, and of course BBQ.
Sometimes worthwhile batch cooking at home and freezing portions and taking these with you just to reheat. Slow cookers also useful so you can come back to your caravan after a day out somewhere and your dinner is ready: soups, stews, roast chicken, casseroles.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The wife bought an electris pressure cooker, that lives in the van, really handy in the winter as it has a timer for setting on time off time. Another item to take down my beer supply for the weight. So I threw out her wellies.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Wise move ref wellies. We are taking along a shepherds' pie for our tea on Friday night as it will probably be a nit late bythe time the kids have finished school and we have got to the site and all pitched. Steak, prawns and Mushrooms Saturday night.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I make extra portions of things like cottage pie, homemade meatballs in sauce and lasagne at home and freeze them in foil takeaway trays so we have a meal or two we can take with us and heat up quickly while getting pitched on the first night or if we have a day out and about.
Thai green curry is easy and quick to do in the van - just stir fry some chicken, onion and peppers or whatever veg you like add a spoon or two of curry paste and a tin of coconut milk (light version if preferred) and simmer till cooked through, serve up with a packet of microwavable coconut or jasmine rice - only one pan to wash then ;)
Cous cous is another favourite of mine - just add boiling water and its done - nice with grilled chicked or salmon (wrap in foil with a squeeze of lemon juice and a few herbs if you have them and stick in oven for about 10-12 mins) and a bit of salad.
We recently invested in a Cadac so have done cooked breakfasts, pancakes, steak and jacket wedges, burgers, chicken etc on that.
You can do anything you would at home really but I prefer to keep to quick and simple dishes as I don't want to be a slave to cooking while on holiday !

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I suppose over the summer season it isn’t much of a problem as the cadac and barbeque are the easy options for the evening meal (not last Saturday when the fishing umbrella was deployed Saturday night.) and we tend to sit out anyway which is a throw back from our tenting years. We did make a cottage pie to heat up when we arrived last Friday but it took ages to warm up in the oven (I think that we need a microwave oven but Mrs Spoon is resisting). We have already decided to take more pre-cooked meals to warm up as the summer rain turns to cooler autumnal rain and the sitting outside become less likely with the onset of wintery rain. We may even resort to the camping favourite of pot mess with a can of mixed veg chucked in with a can of stewed steak and a can of potatoes, single pot hot meal with at least some of your five a day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts