Corner Steady Locks

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone use these.

If you do, how many do you use?

Is it advisable to lock just the back legs or all 4.

I am looking at the Full Stop Torpedo locks or the SAS leg locks.

Has anyone any experience of either makes.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Sam

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam, I use 1 leg lock, its on the rear steady with the nose slightly down. 2 reasons 1 water runs off the roof and more importantly 2 if anybody wanted to hitch up the van they couldnt unless the leg lock was off.

Kevin

Hiya, yes we've got a pair on the rear legs of our 'van. Without going outside and having a look at the make etc I'm not sure what they are, but we got them from towsure last year.

As trucker has said keep the nose down and its even more difficult for a thief to hitch up. I don't have that problem as the drive is at such a steep angle the hitch is down on the ground any way.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Leg locks seem very easy to defeat. Saw off the protective slieve, unbolt the complete leg etc. My 2008 elddis has the facility but I have not bothered. (I use wheeel lock and hitch lock both "sold secure" (if that is the correct term). Actually the van also has an anti winding alarm sensor which can be a pain with an electric drill winder.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Phillip charnwood forest Reply to topic

7 Mar 2009 10:18 PM Chris, I have all the same, but to be honest if they want it forget it it's gone.

That maybe so Philip but the more security you have on and around your van the theives my just go elsewhere with less security as time is of the essence. We use a wheel lock and hitch lock both sold secured we have an alarm, leg lock and security post in front ov the van.

Oh and for w/e we have a 12 bore shot gun to hand lol

(last one a Joke officer)

Reactions: Galgo slave
Trucker that is quite true about the time factor. I too have all of the above with the exception of the post in the ground. I have gates etc and two dogs (gun dogs by the way) but if a proffesional decides that your van is the one that they want they'll bide their time and have it away. A not yery nice thought that your hard earned money that you bought your 'van with has gone to some thieving scumbag. As you say get as much security and the oportunist thief will leave your stuff alone, but I have to agree with all that you have said.

But be carefull with the shot gun the little dents that they make in the van walls are a devil of a job to knock out LOL. ;)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Weve just traded down in size and up in spec this year opting to go back to a 2 birth after 2 fixed bed vans.

Hopefully the usual suspects that travel around wont fancy making their bed every night of the year after nicking it so it should be safer than the last 2. If not after all its insured unlike one of our fellow members of the forum in a syndicate!!!!!!!

Kevin

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Kevin

Do they tend to go for the fixed beds then?

Ours is brand new 6 berth, twin bunks and the diner that converts into a further set of bunks and then the bed that you make up in the lounge. We have gone for the budget end of the caravan market, but I worry that these days they all have lots of kids and ours would be perfect to house them all.

We have bought 2 nemesis wheel clamps, saracen hitch lock, 2 torpedo leg locks and an alarm. Not thought about the shotgun ;-)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
sam, I havent got any stats on the theft figures, I do know that they like the twin axel vans to live in though (more space)

Kevin

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have a pair of Milenco steady locks on the back of my van, I again store the van nose down to make hitching difficult without removing the locks.

The milenco locks fit over the nut and have a steel bar which clips around the brace so preventing the nut from turning.

I know they could probably be easily cut off or prized with a crow bar but I think hopefully as well as hitch lock, bulldog qd wheel clamp, Nemisis wheel clamp. The more different types of security used might just mean the would bee thief might move on rather than spending time attacking my security and van.

If they get past that lot i dont think id want the van back, thats were the insurance kicks in.

john

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

How do you find the Nemesis Wheel Clamp???

Do you think they are very secure??

We have bought two, one for each wheel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Sep 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the SAS Rock Disc Leg Locks.

They are very easy to use and feel good and sturdy. I would have no problem recommending them but like folk say, only as an additional security device. I also have a Rise & Clamp Wheel Clamp, Fullstop Samurai Wheel Clamp, Winterhoff Robstop WS3000 Hitch Lock with Safety Ball, Milenco Locking Wheel Nuts (to stop them simply taking the wheel off thus defeating the Samurai), Alarm and 3 German Shepherds to let me know someone's at my van.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sam, I like the nemesis clamp it feels more secure than any other clamp i have used, very well built, solid and gold secure. however they can be more awkward and take longer to fit, some people have said they can scratch mark alloy wheels but on my van i just slot a thin peice of foam against the wheel before fitting and never had a problem.

hope this helps

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam

I've used a pair of SAS locks on the rear steadies for five years . The front steadies are inboard and do not allow the fitting of locks. Well not on my Bailey.

As Tracker said earlier view these locks as another deterent only. They are NOT a substitute for hitch and wheel locks. If the thief wants the caravan he'll take it but these may just be another lock too far so he wont bother .

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Our Abbey Freestyle has got tube guides for the rear steadies and these have a hole drilled accross them to take a pad lock.

A couple of cheap pad locks might be all thats needed to make Mr Thief buzz off to easier pickings.

You see the mor difficult you make life for the thief the more likely they are to leave you alone.

You won't stop them all but you will deter the amatures.

A simple marking device anyone could do is to get a stick on number plate with your tow car reg on it and stick it to the roof of the caravan out of ground sight, this gives both a chopper copper and a motorway patrol perched on a bridge a chance of spotting your van.

Steve L.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Our Abbey Freestyle has got tube guides for the rear steadies and these have a hole drilled accross them to take a pad lock.

A couple of cheap pad locks might be all thats needed to make Mr Thief buzz off to easier pickings.

You see the mor difficult you make life for the thief the more likely they are to leave you alone.

You won't stop them all but you will deter the amatures.

A simple marking device anyone could do is to get a stick on number plate with your tow car reg on it and stick it to the roof of the caravan out of ground sight, this gives both a chopper copper and a motorway patrol perched on a bridge a chance of spotting your van.

Steve L.
We have just fitted the fullstop torpedo corner steady locks to our new Adria, and unless we are doing it wrong (help needed please) they have just fallen off :-o

Tha main metal barrel has to be fitted to your corner steady locks with an allen key, and the orange casing goes over the top which you lock with a key. However, these do not really seem very secure. We have tightened the allen key as far as it will key, but when we pushed the caravan back into its space they fell off.

Has anyone else got them, or have we bought something that is totally pointless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts