Cornwall ( and Devon)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have the Cornish Tourist Boare been splashing the cash to lure staycationers down that way. There are so many programmes on the county that it’s more than a coincidence. Julia Bradbury, Simon Reeves, Susan Scalman, fisherfolk galore and Rick Stein. And I can’t but fail to notice that the place looks less populated than Orkney on a winters day. Theres hardly any people or cars, and last night Rick Stein went into a really traditional pub in St Justs which was empty. Hopefully the TB are successful and the masses go to the far south west, which leaves the north free. When we lived on Dartmoor we never ventured to the hot spots during summer holiday season., even in the 70-80s there were too many tourists. The kids swam in the River Walkham or in pools on the Moor and spent their days local.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm afraid according to friends living there, you're totally wrong. Cornwall over Christmas and New Year was heaving... I'll check tonight when we talk to them...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm afraid according to friends living there, you're totally wrong. Cornwall over Christmas and New Year was heaving... I'll check tonight when we talk to them...
No I’m not wrong insofar that what I reported was what I viewed on the TV., and given the weather and trees it wasn’t Christmas. No need to check with your friends I’m not that naive that I don’t know the reality of life down in that part of the country. I was in and around Plymouth from early 70s to late 80s. Clearly the producers arrange to keep Joe Public out of the way in order to create this illusion of an idyllic Cornwall with fabulous views, variable weather, few people and negligible traffic.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Im living here down in Devon and watched Julia Bradbury tonight walking the Tors of Dartmoor, she ventured into Haytor Quarry which is a Lake area and I actually commented to the OH, there is nobody else about!!! And except for pre arranged meetings with rock climbers and rangers there were indeed few people around.
Ha, have to agree with Clive on this one the producers have there way.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Talking to the friends (delayed by a night) the tourist locations in West Cornwall (Porthgwarra, Porthcurno, Sennen Cove, Praa Sands) are still being swamped...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Talking to the friends (delayed by a night) the tourist locations in West Cornwall (Porthgwarra, Porthcurno, Sennen Cove, Praa Sands) are still being swamped...
That’s my point exactly. TV documentaries exclude more than the minimum number of people to create this illusion of niceness. Otherwise if you saw the reality it could put some people off visiting bWe got asked to leave a museum in Sanliurfa because a television documentary crew were filming some archaeological exhibits from the ancient site at Gobliki Tepe. Fortunately the museum staff allowed us back in after closing time for a private viewing.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have never been to Cornwall and Devon have some friends say you don"t know what you are missing this season hoping to put it right in September and if it safe hoping to have lunch with them

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Beachball , Although I am Scottish, those English Counties are really nice, and very friendly. Strange food though, meat stews in a hard pastry, and pies with fish heads and tails sticking out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thinking about it, Mrs H has some currant scones in the freezer, 5 minutes to thaw out, great with a glass of Rioja. 🍷😉

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thinking about it, Mrs H has some currant scones in the freezer, 5 minutes to thaw out, great with a glass of Rioja. 🍷😉
Savory supper for me Hutch, pint of Jail ale and a slice of homemade cheese, onion and teddy pasty...yummy 👍

TRENDING THREADS