Cornwall and the Eden Project

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

We are hoping to spend the week before and the week after Easter in Corwall and visit the Eden Project. Have not been to Cornwall for many many years and never with a caravan. Any recommendations for sites within driving distance of the Project would be gratefully appreciated. We prefer quietish sites that are clean, not too bothered about on site shops etc.

Thanks in anticipation,

Tillman

http://www.tkimages.co.uk

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hello t have you tried hendra in newquay. very clean entertainment of a night. nice pitchs .indoor an outdoor pool.bit pricey but worth it we,ve been 3 times now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The cc site at st mawes is ideal it's less than 20 miles away , it's a lovely site , we were there for 2 weeks last year and went to the eden project the only advice is avoid st austell at anywhere near rush hour , it's a bit of a bottle neck.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
If you like quiet sites then please avoid Hendra and avoid Newquay. I live a mile from the Eden Project, there is a very quiet site near us called Croft Park and there are a few sites neat St Austell. St Mawes is a lovely area, but personally I would not go to Newquay. Denise

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, we had a look at many sites whilst we were down in cornwall last year. we found a fantastic site, no clubhouse or pool but everything else.its between truro and falmouth and very easy to get to its called carnon downs.

big pitches, kids play area, fotball field, fully services pitches, grass and hard standing pitches. they also have family shower rooms.

this site is now a Affiliated site for the caravan club but is still open to anyone.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
T, look at this addy ...........

http://www.pentewan.co.uk/
the site is on the beach and only a few miles from Eden. They also have a site a few miles away near the Gardens of Heligan if you prefer that. You need to book quick though for Pentewan but bear in mind that no dogs are accepted at this site but they are ok at Heligan. Both sites are near St Austell and Mevagissey.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi We went to the Eden Project and stayed near by about 2yrs ago we said at a lovely site called Carlyon Bay in St Austell. Lovely clean spotless site with pool and entertainment of an evening although no bar. Very central also for exploring around the rest of that area st Mawes Mavigessy etc.

Think the website is www.carlyonbay.com? but cant be sure Tracy ps the site is about 2 miles from the Eden Project which is well worth a visit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
T,

We stayed on this site last October:-

www.trelay.co.uk

Just outside ( approx 3 mls ) Looe and Polperro.Admittedly we were the only ones on site,but everything was immaculate.The owners were a very pleasant Christian couple....unusual to find psalm readings on the toilet doors.

The approach to the site is through a small residential caravan area which was pristeen and nicely landscaped and then through to the separate touring area.It is certainly a site that we would go back to.

Pelynt village is a couple of minutes drive where there is a small supermarket and a few other shops.2 pubs for eating out( both of which we can recommend.)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
T, As jo-anne has stated Carnon downs is a lovely site, nice and central for west cornwall.

We stay there every year for our winter break in Feb/march and have done since the present owner has had the site, we stayed at his previous site as well.

it is very well looked after with fantastic heated individual toilet/ come shower rooms

Well worth a visit

Kevin H

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
We stayed at CC St Agnes. Lovely setting, St Agnes.No toilet block though.However, one of the CC's cheaper sites.

St Agnes is a smashing village with an excellent selection of shops.

Well placed for visiting all of Cornwall.

Enjoy the Eden Project, we did !

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
There are some great sites along the B3273 between St Austell and Mevagissey.

Its a valley with campsites one side of a stream and walks through woodland the other.

From what I remember there were sites with entertainment but we stayed at a quiet one without - very nice - sorry I can not help with names but it was about 5-8 years ago an we went twice.

Easy driving distance to Eden project through St Austell.

If you go there take the coast road through Mevagissey and out the other side (Portmellon?)- well worth it.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
T, As jo-anne has stated Carnon downs is a lovely site, nice and central for west cornwall.

We stay there every year for our winter break in Feb/march and have done since the present owner has had the site, we stayed at his previous site as well.

it is very well looked after with fantastic heated individual toilet/ come shower rooms

Well worth a visit

Kevin H
We are going to Carnon Downs in March. It was the first site we ever visited when we started caravanning. It was my first tow as well and friends thought we were nuts to go so far for the first trip. We did stay an extra 2 days though because of the gales, that was in March too.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I also know the road between St Austell and Mevagissey very well, as a friend of ours lives only a few miles from there.

There are several sites down that road and I can't remember the names of the all, but look at the local tourist website. I know that Pentewan is a nice site, also there is another nice one that we had a look in once and that is called Sun Valley. You also have Par Sands along the coast at Par and also Carlyon Bay.

Garry mentioned visiting Portmellon, you have to drive through Mevagissey hope your car has a narrow gear, nice pub at Portmellon they used to do great food and you used to sit on minature beer barrels. Anyway, any of the sites in that area are only a few miles from the Eden Project, but you may have to put up with heavy traffic on the St Austell main road!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts