Cost of fuel

Page 10 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I too am bored with EV things. I understand what they are . Strange no one keeps banging on how great ICEs are and how they enable the less well off to continue enjoying caravanning.
The current world issues have revealed how vulnerable we are when reliant on other countries for energy. At last HMG and others are looking to redevelop our use of fossil fuels , which we have in abundance. Centrica at a cost of £2.4 billion are recommissioning a massive gas storage plant. It should never have bee closed because of green pressures.

As I and others have said before the abandonment of fossil fuels was 30 years too early resulting in the current crisis.
Apologies now for this deviation but the “Cost of Fuel” is hurting🤬
Centricas Rough Storage facility was closed because it required extensive work to maintain it in a safe state. At the time gas was plentiful and cheap, other companies and HMG declined to offer funding so quite naturally Centrica closed it. The same short term view prevails in other areas of infrastructure IE reservoirs. Britain doesn’t do “ long strategic“ views we rely on free market forces.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Centricas Rough Storage facility was closed because it required extensive work to maintain it in a safe state. At the time gas was plentiful and cheap, other companies and HMG declined to offer funding so quite naturally Centrica closed it. The same short term view prevails in other areas of infrastructure IE reservoirs. Britain doesn’t do “ long strategic“ views we rely on free market forces.
That has come to bite us savagely in the rear however in the long run it may be a good thing and help make the UK more independent whilst creating more employment. (y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That has come to bite us savagely in the rear however in the long run it may be a good thing and help make the UK more independent whilst creating more employment. (y)
It will be a good thing if it’s brought back into use, as UK has the lowest storage capacity in “ days of use” in Europe. So even though some European countries have ready access to Russian gas they have far more storage in “ days of use” than we do. Germany already has almost met its legally binding target for gas storage reserves for this coming winter.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have in 35 years of driving only ever bought supermarket fuel. Never any issues. I kept my MR2 for 16 years and drove 160000 miles and the engine was still running perfectly. Body was disappearing!!!!
I normally use supermarket fuel although a couple of local garages have been undercutting them lately. What surprised me was that when we normally fill up at the local Tesco their fuel actually seems to last longer than the Esso which I have stopped at when I have not got to Tesco.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To clear up any confusion, there seems to be pro and anti EV groups of members who use this forum.
This has led to unrelated topics being hijacked by arguments against or in favour of EVs.
I recently wrote on a different topic that this repetetive argument which has hijacked threads has to stop.
There's nothing wrong with threads that expand into wider discussions, but the same argument between the same people on various threads is putting people off.
I deleted a post from this thread yesterday because it was leading to the same argument between the same people.
Anyone wishing to rehash the same pro and anti EV argument should start a topic about it, rather than hijacking existing topics.

Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

That’s correct Clive but at the time Centrica and other far sighted bodies did warn of the dangers of not investing in this storage plant.HMG declined to offer any support based on “free market” forces . Thus in 2017 because it had become too expensive without that support the site closed. The site previously accounted for 70% of Britain’s natural gas storage capacity.
Same with reservoirs. Maybe time for a complete re think on all long term energy strategy which clearly has affected our Cost of Fuel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s correct Clive but at the time Centrica and other far sighted bodies did warn of the dangers of not investing in this storage plant.HMG declined to offer any support based on “free market” forces . Thus in 2017 because it had become too expensive without that support the site closed. The site previously accounted for 70% of Britain’s natural gas storage capacity.
Same with reservoirs. Maybe time for a complete re think on all long term energy strategy which clearly has affected our Cost of Fuel.
Yes even if Rough wasn’t required for energy security it was useful as when gas was cheap it could be purchased and stored for subsequent release but in 2017 the world was awash with the stuff such that LNG carriers were being mothballed, sold or even scrapped. It even led UK to restrict further LNG terminals, and we know very well what German policy was.

I’d like to think some of the “ grown ups” would endeavour to address the issues but regrettably their timescale is only focussed to 2024.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if the criticism is just hindsight, or if there was real negligence there.
Not hindsight but the fact that oil and gas was plentiful and cheap, and businesses and Government did not see a case for contributing to the refurbishment of Rough Storage it additional LNG terminals. Despite the mutterings following 2014 and periodic restrictions on gas flowing from Russia via Ukraine fingers were firmly crossed that free markets and reason were sufficient.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if the criticism is just hindsight, or if there was real negligence there.
I believe your last three words are in reality the truth Ray.
The history of the Rough storage is well documented . It is worth reading to understand the series of blunders made . Ironically Centrica were against its mothballing. Sadly the anti fossil fuel brigade influenced the thought processes with HMG. .Cheap Russian gas was in vogue😥.
Unbelievable short term thinking.
Even my little Town of 5,500 population have a well thought out ten year plan.😃

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having been in the Helicopter supply for the oil and gas exploration industery, and seen so many gas areas shut down for later use is incredible. Morcambe bay, south of the Isle of Wight. And to the west of the Shetlands. There are probable many more , and Fracking will produce more oil and gas from sites already available.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Having been in the Helicopter supply for the oil and gas exploration industery, and seen so many gas areas shut down for later use is incredible. Morcambe bay, south of the Isle of Wight. And to the west of the Shetlands. There are probable many more , and Fracking will produce more oil and gas from sites already available.
Hope for our ICEs😉👍

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Home usage it will effect, sales of Vintage caravans will go up and trainging courses of how to Burn in a new gas mantle will be introduced. "Pop". 😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts