Cost of setting up a CL.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As EHU for the future has been closed I hope no one minds me continuing the discussion under this thread.?
This year I have seen four variations on the EHU, all bar one were 16 amp.
1. Cost of electricity included in the pitch price
2. Pay as you go slot meter
3. Meter present on each EHU , honesty box if a certain usage level exceeded.
4. Pre paid smart card with meter EHU. Any unused electricity cost refunded at end of stay.

Someone said they visited a CL that cost the owner £1100 for the five EHUs and said he’d never get his money back. I don’t know if that is true or speculation? If true you have to ask why would any land owner create a CL for us caravanners?
A little research shows the actual difference in cost of each type is not a deal breaker!

This article from the Caravan Club is worth a read. It explains what is involved in the set up .

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-ho...locations/setting-up-a-certificated-location/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's no problem at all with discussing the future of EHUs Dusty.
When a thread on EHUs diverts to the RNLI and immigrants, which has nothing to do with the subject under discussion I'm left with a choice.
I can either sit here all day ready to act as a referee if a disagreement on an emotive subject arises, or I can lock the thread to save any further very off topic comments being added.
Just to be clear -
discussions surrounding immigration, decisions made by authorities, and whether or not members endorse these decisions are not for this forum.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As EHU for the future has been closed I hope no one minds me continuing the discussion under this thread.?
This year I have seen four variations on the EHU, all bar one were 16 amp.
1. Cost of electricity included in the pitch price
2. Pay as you go slot meter
3. Meter present on each EHU , honesty box if a certain usage level exceeded.
4. Pre paid smart card with meter EHU. Any unused electricity cost refunded at end of stay.

Someone said they visited a CL that cost the owner £1100 for the five EHUs and said he’d never get his money back. I don’t know if that is true or speculation? If true you have to ask why would any land owner create a CL for us caravanners?
A little research shows the actual difference in cost of each type is not a deal breaker!

This article from the Caravan Club is worth a read. It explains what is involved in the set up .

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-ho...locations/setting-up-a-certificated-location/
There is another option, a cross between 1 and 3 - metered electric with a number of units per night "free", ie included in the pitch fee.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I totally agree, No business would add a cost that cannot be recovered. I actually surprised that £1100 was all it cost to set up 5 EHU points, assuming this included the wiring posts metering and the installation of the equipement, that seems quite a bargain.

The reality is more likely to be if the site did not have EHU, it will lose customers, so the installation of EHU. would broaden the appeal of the site and attract more customers and possibly allow a higher daily rent to be charged. Having metered supplies means the cost of the electricity is covered so its the greater occupancy, and higher fees that will end up paying for the cost of the installation.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is a lot easier to monitor consumption on a proper site than it is on a CL as most of time the land owner will not be present when the customer leaves.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I actually surprised that £1100 was all it cost to set up 5 EHU points, assuming this included the wiring posts metering and the installation of the equipment, that seems quite a bargain.
I read that as the 1100 was the cost of adding metering to an existing EHU installation, but I could be wrong.

We're going to be on EHU for all of our winter trips, but I'm looking at a lot more off-gridding next year. Mrs Gozza still owns her business but has taken a step back and is less involved in the running of it, so the need to charge her laptop while we're away is less. Everything else can run on battery or gas, unless we need mega-heating

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you check with the various manufacturers the cost difference between the meter / bog standard the cost is negligible when you consider the entire installation costs from mains supply ground works cabling etc.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you check with the various manufacturers the cost difference between the meter / bog standard the cost is negligible when you consider the entire installation costs from mains supply ground works cabling etc.
If it is an established CL then no need for cabling work etc however a cabinet to protect the meter will need to be fitted. The main cost would be labour and that depends on what electricians in the locality are charging.

If it is a new CL then you are looking at anything between £3000 - £7000 for cabling and fitting meters. It woudl take a CL owner a very long time to recover that outlay. Simpler and cheaper to charge a higher fee during winter months.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In our area farmers have set up dog exercise fields. There is some capital outlay starting with dog proof fencing. After that the upgrades can include a shelter, water supply, agility and sensory areas, poo bins, picnic bench, website and remote payment scheme, plus mowing. . We have at least three within 30 minutes drive, and looking at the availability of time slots in good weather they can be 60% booked up to three days ahead. This will no doubt reduce as winter descends. We used one in Northumberland as it gave us some respite from the dog beating up the county’s marine and moorland wildlife.

Probably brings in more profit than a CL/CS with less work.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In our area farmers have set up dog exercise fields. There is some capital outlay starting with dog proof fencing. After that the upgrades can include a shelter, water supply, agility and sensory areas, poo bins, picnic bench, website and remote payment scheme, plus mowing. . We have at least three within 30 minutes drive, and looking at the availability of time slots in good weather they can be 60% booked up to three days ahead. This will no doubt reduce as winter descends. We used one in Northumberland as it gave us some respite from the dog beating up the county’s marine and moorland wildlife.

The same around here in Milton Keynes area. A good place to train recall for your dog.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Not sure what they would do if ramblers crossed the field with their dogs as I am under the impression that ramblers can walk almost anywhere?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The enclosed fields near us are just that, 5ft high wire fence with a locked double gate to get into the enclosure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ramblers cannot just walk anywhere in England or Wales, Scotland is different. Some areas in England have open access, but these are few and far between. Ramblers should keep to public footpaths or bridleways and have no legal right to roam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Same here in Cricklade. Totally safe, private and secure

Back to CLs . At the costs being suggested no one in their right mind would do it.
Talking to the Owners at one this year they did most of the work themselves. Primarily they are farmers who also caravan or motorhome. They dug all their own groundwork’s, laid all the cables to a specific electrician plan. The spark checked all the laid cables and did all the connections etc. The costs were not abortive .I have two external power points at home , all fully insulated waterproof etc and cheap as chips.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If it is an established CL then no need for cabling work etc however a cabinet to protect the meter will need to be fitted. The main cost would be labour and that depends on what electricians in the locality are charging.

If it is a new CL then you are looking at anything between £3000 - £7000 for cabling and fitting meters. It woudl take a CL owner a very long time to recover that outlay. Simpler and cheaper to charge a higher fee during winter months.
The last CL we used had a digital meter incorporated with the MCBs in the pitch cabinet - if the cabinet is modern enough to be DIN rail mounted, as most are, the meter unit is only about £30 plus fitting https://www.anymeters.co.uk/products/sdm120a-mid

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Our favorite local CL had a choice at the end of last year to stop the site running at a loss. Don't forget that many of these sites are on farms, so are charged at commercial rates
1.Close the site
2.Charge an awful lot more per night and no longer look competative
3.swallow the cost of adding meters to all the posts.

She was genuinely distressed having to make a tough decision.
What she has done is drop the price per night and now charges for any electricity used.
Really can't blame her when you see some users heating their awnings over night at her cost, charging EV's etc etc

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If we were still caravanning I’d be more than happy to pay by metered usage, it’s a fairer system. Rarely did our heating run overnight as our sleeping bags were snug, and the dogs would either have their fleeces on, or snuggled next to me. When getting up I would pop the heating on if it was cold. Never ever considered having heating in the awning.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our favorite local CL had a choice at the end of last year to stop the site running at a loss. Don't forget that many of these sites are on farms, so are charged at commercial rates
1.Close the site
2.Charge an awful lot more per night and no longer look competative
3.swallow the cost of adding meters to all the posts.

She was genuinely distressed having to make a tough decision.
What she has done is drop the price per night and now charges for any electricity used.
Really can't blame her when you see some users heating their awnings over night at her cost, charging EV's etc etc
The CL that we use regularly if they catch someone with heating in the awning they will tell the people that they need to leave immediately with no refund even if it is 10pm. They do warn you when booking and it is a written notice attached to the confirmation email.

Again a minority spoil it for the majority!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The CL that we use regularly if they catch someone with heating in the awning they will tell the people that they need to leave immediately with no refund even if it is 10pm. They do warn you when booking and it is a written notice attached to the confirmation email.

Again a minority spoil it for the majority!
Another very good reason for payg electricity

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A lot have done just that. Usually £3.00 a day reduction so in your case £22.00
I've seen a few that have just introduced metered electricity but with no reduction in pitch fee - but it's all supply and demand with more popular areas charging more per night..

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We went to a CL near Brize Norton. (Right on the flight path). They had just had a meter system installed. But it did not work correctly. No problem, we just agreed on a nominal figure we were both happy with.

But then it was summer and without an electric car to charge.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently on Daisy Bank caravan park, Montgomery.
Our pitch is fully serviced with £3 per day free on the ehu meter.
If we exceed the £3, top ups are available with the refund at the end of our stay.
No problems so far, we haven't exceeded our pre- loaded amount.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts