cost of solo caravanning

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,having read probably too much info about travelling by caravan for a long time i would like to ask if the size of the caravan equates to the direct cost,ie site fees,,ferry travel etc, i am very close to committing to a purchase now and although i have read people posting saying you need a larger van than you think,for comfort,storage etc i am still unsure about size to buy,4 berth,3 berth,even 6 berth , in fact to be honest when i see the awning size for some vans surely that doubles in some cases the living size of any van ?? i think i have read too much and to be honest its doing my head in !( theres not much grey matter to begin with) i think i had a frontal labotomy when i decided to become a builder !! anyway my original point,,,will it cost me more travelling with a 4berth as opposed to a smaller van?? thanks...ian..

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Breaking costs down:

1. Towing - the heavier the trailer weight the more fuel used.

2. Pitches - generally the size of the van doesn't make any difference, a large 6 berth will cost the same as a small pop-top 2 berth.

3. Ferry charges - have not gone overseas but I believe costs are based on length and are grouped in bands.

4. Insurance - based on value not size, however bigger vans tend to have higher values.

5. Servicing - I think 4 wheelers cost more than 2 wheelers.

Other people will probably add to this list.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst awnings double the available living area, there is IMO a limit to the viable size of an awning. I do by choice all the putting up and taking down of our awnings, solo. For a full awning the aggro of an awning over 900 CM is a step too far; the weight and the issues with transporting and drying a large wet awning are the killers from my point of view. With a large van then a decent part awning like a Magnum is definitely IMO the better option.

If I was caravanning solo I would downsize from my 6.3 metre body , 8 metre LOA van, once it was time to change. In fact I would probably go to a 6 metre M/h with a motor cycle, towed on a trailer.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Ferry charges depend on length. Some companies have a fare up to 7 metres then another fare for those over.. Brittany Ferries on the other hand require to know if your van is under 6mtr; or 7mtrs; or 8mtrs, then it is charged accordingly. Also they do often leave their check in kiosk to check the booked length.

Continental sites tend to have more trees than UK ones so as to give shade in the summer. Consequently the longer the caravan, the more difficult it is to get pitched - especially with an awning.

Rather than be looking at extra berths what you won't probably use, I would be looking at the facilities in any given length. Being on my own, I manage with a two berth but high on my list of priorities, I do like to have an end bathroom with a wardrobe, a stepin shower cubicle, a handbasin and cassette toilet, and which can be closed off. I get all of that in a shipping length of 6.5mtrs. It also so happens that I can park the van alongside my house.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
thanks jaydug again,,,if you remember i was looking at buying a bailey unicorn valencia but im thinking i dont need that size for just me,,and i have been looking at the elddis europa, i think its a 3 birth,nice looking and i also would rather have a good size bathroom like you,,,cheers for all replies, i think that the smaller option is a more practical one for me,,any particular model suggestions would be good,and what is the make of yours jaydug,if you dont mind me asking? all the best to all,,ian..

Jun 10, 2007
Visit site
I'll just chuck my 10 pence in lol.

Whilst I'n not solo my kids are not that interested in vanning any more so it's mainly just me and the wife... we have just gone bigger mainly because we hate having to make the beds.
Maybe that is something you should consider, nothing worse than having to make beds up, maybe look for something which you can leave the bed made up.

Rog.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
hi rog,,yes mate this is the twist in my brain,i like a fixed bed option (lots of storage underneath too) but i like a end bathroom too,,i suppose this set up would be at the min a 4berth? But i have given myself a month more to make my decission and all the replies on here help me a lot,,,,cheers..ian.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
no jaydug,,i cant justify an 8 mtr van just for me,,back to the nice bathroom and sleeping quite comfortably on a front double or a dining room set up,,,i quite like the elddis oddysey 5 something theres a few on ebay ,,,could you advise me on the damp issue,,where should i look,test ? or could it be all over? ian..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would say get one with a good size bathroom and get the benefit of this. You then have to decide if you want a fixed bed as if you do you are looking a 7 meters plus.
A good compromise might be one with a front lounge that makes into a double and a side dinette. This allows you to leave the bed down if you want and still have somewhere to sit but stretching out might be a problem if you want to do that. At the same time as there is only one of you then you might just use the dinette as a bed although check it is wide enough as some are quite narrow.
You can also find a few with front and rear lounges and can then leave the back one down as a bed but these usually have smaller bathrooms so if it is a big bathroom you want probably not.
If you are going to reverse on to a pitch on your own a motor mover might make life a lot easier as you can get out of the car and reverse the caravan in using the mover and see exactly what you are doing.
It is very difficult to suggest specific models as it depends on individual taste but if buying second hand either use a reputable dealer or get a Caravan Club engineer to give it the once over. If sellers will not accept that assume the worst. The service is available to non club members but for a slightly higher fee.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/shop-and-offers/member-offers/caravan-and-motorhome-inspectors
There is also a lot of advice on their website as to choosing a towcar and caravan.
Hope you are happy with whatever you choose.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Ray,,i did actually join the caravan and camping club last month,i was told ferries,pitches and insurance can be cheaper so i took the plunge,,sounds like a good idea with an engineer though,,do you think that applies to buying from a dealer as well?? anyway im looking at 4 berths now,with rear bathroom and your right,i will prob make the front double up and leave it,,I will also get an awning so enough room for stretching out i think ! lol I was looking at having to spend quite a bit of money but it does seem that the older i go the cheaper it gets,,im looking for something thats not more than 5 to 6 yrs old though,, thanks for advice ray theres lots more i will ask in time,,,cheers,,ian.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Its all been said above about Ferries. Continental pitches are something else though. Compared to Caravan Club pitch sizes, they can be quite small, but at least the sizes are listed in the CC foreign sites part of the website. Unlike the UK they are often bounded by low hedges and shrubs, which can make manoeuvring more difficult with long vans, especially if you try to use the best orientation within the pitch.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
i just noticed that both of you chris and ray mentioned the caravan club and i have joined the camping and cravanning club,is that the wrong one i have joined or does it make much difference???

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
ianthebuilder said:
i just noticed that both of you chris and ray mentioned the caravan club and i have joined the camping and cravanning club,is that the wrong one i have joined or does it make much difference???

"Is that the wrong one"

Think world war three could be looming :lol:

To be honest though Ian its a matter of preference, they both offer similar products from what i can gather.
I belong to the C&CC as you do, I get my insurance for the van and the RAC Arrival from them, certainly not the cheapest but I believe(hope) as they are dedicated to our caravan world they will be easier to deal with. I have never been a member of the CC, but there are others who join both for one reason or another.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ianthebuilder said:
not really. both clubs offer much the same. both with deals on ferries, small sites, breakdown cover, ect,
the only real difference is with the caravan club there are no tenters on site. with the caravan and camping club there are.
if that is not a problem your fine.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
the only real difference is with the caravan club there are no tenters on site. with the caravan and camping club there are.

Wrong - quite a few do have small areas for tents, two examples being Brecon and Tredegar House. :eek:hmy:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
colin-yorkshire said:

Wrong - quite a few do have small areas for tents, two examples being Brecon and Tredegar House. :eek:hmy:
small areas WC not next to the vans, and never on a CL. unlike the C&CC take Moffat for a example.
tent. tent. van, tent motorhome, van, tent, excetera infineitum.
OH and also on CC sites you are given a pitch number to use, not go find your own with the C&CC so when you *** out for the day with the old m/home you dont find some ones pitched a tent in your nice level pitch you had before you went out and thrown the reserved sign into the hedge :woohoo: ,

TRENDING THREADS