Could I tow a twin axle with a Renault 5?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Andy!

I had lost this!!

Now I can send it to all my 4x4 driving mates so we can sit all smug in our vehicles!!!

LMAO!!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As I've said before, I actually use my trusty Renault 5 campus (1100cc) as a tow tug for our 20ft twin axle van. I do this because she can *** in where the laguna can't fit.

The lads at work sent me the vid clip but whjen I returned the favor with footage of my little 5, it shot the game down.

Never under estimate little cars. They are like Jack Russel's, full of bravado and willing to show off to anyone.

I wonder if that clechet would suit a particular brand of vehicle driver. You know the ones with the green oval badge.

A mate of mine used to own a 6 volt 1968 Renault 4 (648cc) and that car was amazing for it's size. We took it upto Hergest ridge just outside Kington in Herefordshire. Where we drove in reverse up quarry banks of 1 in 4 and left Landrover fans in awe.

It was totally useless going forward, but because the drive wheels were right at the front all the gravitational drive weight travsferred to the drive wheels. Going round corners was more like sailing a dinghy than driving a car, I'm sure we used to get 30deg of lean. It had superb ground clearance too, which let us go over most fields. Just for a giggle we used to go "green laning" with the local Landie club and 99% of the time kept up with them all be it going in reverse.

O those were the days when people knew how to have a laugh and not worry about who's watching.

I got a verbal warning last week for doing a handbrake turn outside the factory gate. Well I had left my laptop out on my desk!!

It didn't matter that I am ROSPA cat a trained and an ex time trial driver. Just don't drop rubber on the tarmac!!

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ah yes, that brings back the memories. The days when we used to tow with a 1.4 Metro GSi. It would tow our twin axle Hobby (with slide out) with ease and still have a surprising turn of speed. I remember one day in particular, when we actually raced and passed a Porsche at 71MPH (he was doing 70), unhitched naturally, but oh, how we laughed. You may all scoff at us towing with a Metro but the benefits were all too clear, we never got stuck on the grass (we never dared to drive onto it), the envious looks from the local farmers (according to them it was outstanding in it's field(or they were)) and the fact that when we were set up, the car was small enough to pass through the bathroom window and be secured to the four poster bed.

Yes, we miss our Metro, shame that caravans got even larger, which meant changing the seat covers for a velor set, if we intended to keep towing with it.

Damn you cotton 30%/nylon 45%/Dacron 63% car seat covers!

RIP Metro, gone but not forgotten.....

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Our caravan is parked in our garden and to get it out involves driving over the grass . As I really don't wont to get the tyres dirty on the Maverick I have fitted a tow bar onto the back of my push bike and find that with the help of three Shredded Wheat I can tow the van with ease. When road charging comes into force this will become my main tow vehicle . I haven't checked the weight ratios but I'm sure that the more Shredded Wheat I eat it will bring me nearer to an 85% match.

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

And don't forget Brian that according to Steves experience in his Renault 5 that you would be best using your push bike in reverse!

Going backwards is obviously more comfortable some.

Certainly is for me with my dodgy hip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian, I have a bike. It's only one wheel drive, I would love a two wheel drive mountain bike but the tax and the "Greens" make it impossible to own, besides, I must think of the planet. Not having towed with it, I wondered what the three shredded wheat were for. Do they provide grip for the tyres on the grass?

G

With concerns over child obesity and kids who only have Sony screen as a friend we have a small trike with tow hitch and borrow a two year old to manouvre the van,

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
the goverment has put tax up on shredded wheat to day becouse thay add to global warming and you are not alowed to sweat becouse this might bee to worm so am afrade the push bike is out as well ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts