Courtesy Car -- Small Print!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Learn something new every day, recently re-newed car insurance with same company as last year, they matched the lowest quote I found.
Courtesy car included........AH but had a call from them last night asking if I want to upgrade for £29.95
Umm... what am I upgrading to , Ive got courtesy car included!!
Courtesy Car is ONLY if the car is damaged and repairable, NOT if it is stolen OR written off!!!
So I reply ...Wont be insuring with you again next year then.
Then he remarks MOST insurance company's have the same conditions. Is this true?

So there you are, check your small print...I check the car details, address etc but not ALL the small print
(yes Stupid I know). :blush:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you have been told a white lie. I checked my cover with More Than and that certainly gives two weeks cover if the car is written off or stolen. Having said that if it is stolen you will not get the claim settled and another car on the road in that time, so they still leave you short but at least it gives you time to make other arrangements.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
My last car was written off and was declared as a write off the same day as the accident. They paid out by BACS (3 day transfer) the same day therefore no courtesy car was provided as I could go out and buy a replacement car with the funds. Spot on service, couldn't complain of being without a car for 3 days. Can't say I wanted to get back in one and having an argument with a telegraph pole and losing :(

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Having just had our Car and Caravan written off this year, when an over eager Artic Driver decided to try to get into our rear washroom, I have had experience of this.

Firstly the entitlement to a courtesy car will depend on the terms of your insurance policy. In most cases there is provision as you have been told - because the car is actually provided by the company getting the repair business! So when your car is immediately likely to be written off, there is no car provided.

However if it is a "no fault" accident, the cost of a hire car can be reclaimed, and if your insurance company use a claim mangement company they will often arrange this for you as soon as there is an admission of liability.

The other problem of course is that a courtesy car may not be suitable for towing - if you are still able to continue with your caravan, sometimes an upgrade gaurantees a car of a similar spec to the one you are driving.

Hats off to our car insurer, (I don't think I can name them on here).

Accident 5.30pm Friday.
Monday 9.30am - Phone Call from Claim management Company to inform me third party had admitted liability.
Monday 4.00pm - Contract Car delivered
Tuesday - Claim management Company contact to arrange Physio, Medical assessments and start discussing uninsured losses.
2 weeks - Main claim finalised and replacement car ordered (Car written off was only 6 weeks old!).
4 weeks - Replacement car delivered.

And they are not an expensive company - by far!
Can't see it gets better than that!

Owen

May 7, 2012
Visit site
owenk said:
Having just had our Car and Caravan written off this year, when an over eager Artic Driver decided to try to get into our rear washroom, I have had experience of this.

Firstly the entitlement to a courtesy car will depend on the terms of your insurance policy. In most cases there is provision as you have been told - because the car is actually provided by the company getting the repair business! So when your car is immediately likely to be written off, there is no car provided.

However if it is a "no fault" accident, the cost of a hire car can be reclaimed, and if your insurance company use a claim mangement company they will often arrange this for you as soon as there is an admission of liability.

The other problem of course is that a courtesy car may not be suitable for towing - if you are still able to continue with your caravan, sometimes an upgrade gaurantees a car of a similar spec to the one you are driving.

Hats off to our car insurer, (I don't think I can name them on here).

Accident 5.30pm Friday.
Monday 9.30am - Phone Call from Claim management Company to inform me third party had admitted liability.
Monday 4.00pm - Contract Car delivered
Tuesday - Claim management Company contact to arrange Physio, Medical assessments and start discussing uninsured losses.
2 weeks - Main claim finalised and replacement car ordered (Car written off was only 6 weeks old!).
4 weeks - Replacement car delivered.

And they are not an expensive company - by far!
Can't see it gets better than that!

Owen, I see no reason why a pat on the back for them is out of order but I would have had a car for two weeks under my policy and on checking on the internet they were not unreasonable on price either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts