Covid 19 again

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Health Minister has been very quiet on this development.
Do we still have one? If we do he/she are probably busy trying to understand what is going on, and what to do when the next PM reverses the NI increase which was basically earmarked to support the integration of health and care.

Oh it’s Barclay SOS for Health and Social Care.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is always a dilemma for the authorities about when or how to release new information about things like possible viral dangers. Ignoring the political concerns , they need to know what the risks are, and will those risks actually apply to their area of responsibility, it would be counterproductive to make a big fuss over something that will not actually affect us.

But its complicated, becasue in the case of a new varient virus until there has been some level of infection in a population, you can't actually determine the risks it poses. And not all populations are the same. DIfferent populations may have different habits or conditions which might affect the way a virus will transmit and infect. So a virus that needs warm conditions might pose no risk in areas further away from the equator, and there are many other factors that might affect transmissibility, or the seriousness of its effect.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Covid seems to be rife around here, but all cases have been mild that I know of. Possibly it is not regarded as a serious risk to health that needed any urgent action and that is why very little is heard about it. Symptons are more like a cold which means many people do not realise they have it unless they test. Mask wearing has dropped to almost nothing which may assist it spreading.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There is always a dilemma for the authorities about when or how to release new information about things like possible viral dangers. Ignoring the political concerns , they need to know what the risks are, and will those risks actually apply to their area of responsibility, it would be counterproductive to make a big fuss over something that will not actually affect us.

But its complicated, becasue in the case of a new varient virus until there has been some level of infection in a population, you can't actually determine the risks it poses. And not all populations are the same. DIfferent populations may have different habits or conditions which might affect the way a virus will transmit and infect. So a virus that needs warm conditions might pose no risk in areas further away from the equator, and there are many other factors that might affect transmissibility, or the seriousness of its effect.

If what we read about the effects of this variant in India and America it makes you wonder if people with health issues need to take extra precautions? That type of advice should come from HMG imo.. Last week another Chinese city of over 250k locked down due to one case of Covid . A sledge hammer to crack a nut🤪

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If what we read about the effects of this variant in India and America it makes you wonder if people with health issues need to take extra precautions? That type of advice should come from HMG imo.. Last week another Chinese city of over 250k locked down due to one case of Covid . A sledge hammer to crack a nut🤪
I quite agree in the case of our island nation, there should be some gov't guidance, but perhaps (wishful thinking here) the risk has been assessed and as yet its risk is not great enough yet to need formal advice.... However On Tuesday 12th with the continuing increase in UK infections the health authorities have reinstated the advice that face masks should be worn in Health Care locations . BUT, it's not been backed up with any legal requirement, so there's no sanction for those who refuse.

Reactions: WayneS
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I quite agree in the case of our island nation, there should be some gov't guidance, but perhaps (wishful thinking here) the risk has been assessed and as yet its risk is not great enough yet to need formal advice.... However On Tuesday 12th with the continuing increase in UK infections the health authorities have reinstated the advice that face masks should be worn in Health Care locations . BUT, it's not been backed up with any legal requirement, so there's no sanction for those who refuse.
👍👍

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
On Tuesday 12th with the continuing increase in UK infections the health authorities have reinstated the advice that face masks should be worn in Health Care locations . BUT, it's not been backed up with any legal requirement, so there's no sanction for those who refuse.

I dunno. Some nurses can be quite formidable. And not just nurses. My erstwhile NHS boss for example…if she said you are not coming in without a mask; trust me, you were not coming in. 😀
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The whole thing is baffling me. In the last two weeks two of our daughters have had it and a lady we know, none of their men folk have had it and only one of one daughters three children again a girl have had it. No obvious reason for this only hitting females, but their it is. Neither my wife or I have had it (hope that I am not speaking too soon) despite having been with them, although I have had the third jab this year but none of the others have.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One of my friends, have just come back from a week in Suffolk, last Sunday he felt rough and tested Positive for Covid, but his wife is fine.

I am just getting ready to go out and get my Spring Covid booster, two weeks ago Shingles Jab. Oh well better to be safe than sorry.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of my friends, have just come back from a week in Suffolk, last Sunday he felt rough and tested Positive for Covid, but his wife is fine.

I am just getting ready to go out and get my Spring Covid booster, two weeks ago Shingles Jab. Oh well better to be safe than sorry.
Our next door neighbour who suffers from agoraphobia has tested positive for Covid, but that does not stop her going out most evenings!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
One week ago yesterday we had an old school friend and his wife drop in and visit us on their way home from a cycle tour of South Wales back to North Wales. Fantastic to see them, they stayed for about 4 hours.

They phoned the next day, Friday, to say that he had tested positive. The next day we tested positive.

It's been a horrible week. We are both now improved but totally drained. We are still positive.

Today I had a prescription to collect from the pharmacy, (not related to the covid). I phoned them to ask them to keep hold of it as it was not urgent and told them we had covid.

No problem, we will deliver it this afternoon.

I thought they may deliver it through the letterbox, but no, it was delivered by hand!

Amazingly poor duty of care to their delivery driver. Particularly for a pharmacy.

John
Hi John I hope you are both on the road recovery take care

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi John I hope you are both on the road recovery take care

Thanks Beachball. We both had it bad for 10 days, but it has taken another week to get some strength back, and not there yet. My taste was OK but Marj lost hers and had a metallic taste. But getting better now.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Beachball. We both had it bad for 10 days, but it has taken another week to get some strength back, and not there yet. My taste was OK but Marj lost hers and had a metallic taste. But getting better now.

John
I know the taste feeling as even 18 months later after radio therapy my taste has not come back completely. Only recently have I been able to drink a beer. Mostly carbonated drinks was a no no as tasted horrible. Still cannot enjoy a nice steak so mainly a chicken diet.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts