Covid booster jab

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Outdoor toilet, and zinc bath used on Friday nights sharing water with little bruv.
Our Tin Bath night was a Sunday in a cold kitchen, I was 5th in line with another brother and the twin girls still to follow, again same water but topped up occasionally!!! Then off to the outside loo before bed,
We did have a consolation though a BUCKET on top of the stairs to use during the night, with 9 people using it, it STANK...YUK!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to Professor Witty the Omnicron variant doesn’t concern him as much as the Delta . Seems to me we have to live with regular variants appearing like the Influenza variants. In my area the C19 patients are mostly non vaccers🤬.

There also seems to be a big misunderstanding and that the Omnicron variant did not originate in South Africa, it was South African scientists that discovered it first. South Africa has one of the world;s leading virology labs. However they are being punished for discovering it!

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There also seems to be a big misunderstanding and that the Omnicron variant did not originate in South Africa, it was South African scientists that discovered it first. South Africa has one of the world;s leading virology labs. However they are being punished for discovering it!
They aren't being "punished", other countries are restricting travel from countries where the variant is rife - given the number of passengers from South Africa with the variant on a flight to the Netherlands, the restrictions are reasonable and proportionate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of South Africas leading virologists has said publically that it’s highly likely that the origin is in South Africa, and she’s a leading figure in the countries scientific community.

Until more is known about this strain I don’t criticise governments from initiating restrictions on travellers. We had restrictions placed on travellers from UK because of Delta even from countries that we declared “ Green”.

Reactions: JezzerB and RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you believe the press then Germany and Poland have the highest Omicron frequency world wide. SA virologists were amongst the first to discover Omicron and traced its origin back to Asia, Hong Kong. Let’s face it the Chinese will never admit anything.
Seems to me depending what paper or TV programme your read/ watch , differing stories emerge.
Blaming SA has a certain deja vu on the Spanish Flu. It emanated from America not Spain😉

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They aren't being "punished", other countries are restricting travel from countries where the variant is rife - given the number of passengers from South Africa with the variant on a flight to the Netherlands, the restrictions are reasonable and proportionate.
Just to be clear although I mentioned they were being punished for it, I never said I disagreed with the restrictions imposed by the UK. Until more is known about it, the restrictions are justified. Perhaps the using phrase Punished was incorrect?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Blaming SA has a certain deja vu on the Spanish Flu. It emanated from America not Spain😉
Good post regarding SA, but it is thought that the Spanish flu originated in China through indentured Chinese working in the France during WW1. They then passed the disease onto American and other servicemen returning home and that is how it spread. BTW not my words!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The U S CDC have released their assessment.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=omicr...EAE21505584C00AD2666EF2180F115&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

It’s not a blame game but one of trying to understand the source, the effects of the new strain, and it’s impact on vaccines. No one got uptight about the Beta variant that is believed to have its source in NelsonMandela Bay. Restrictions were placed on travellers then.

I thought that the Beta version originated in China and the Delta version was later discovered in southern Africa? It all gets confusing with the various variants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst from a medical and scientific and perhaps a national security point of view it is important to try and find the source of these variants so it can be investigated to see if there is anything to be learned out the causal method.

That is nothing like blanket blaming a nation or region unless there has been a deliberate act to create the infection.

I personally don't hold any animosity towards any of the countries that have discovered they have covid, but I might have a view about the political powers that fail to take reasonable actions to limit the spread.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know one thing for certain, both myself and Mrs H , have had what seems like a cold for the last two nights, we have been supping Lemsips and eating oranges, Going to do a LFT just to make sure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does the point of origin or detection of any particular variant make any substantive difference to the need to protect yourself or others from it?

No.

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There is an evil cold going round-but it isn't covid=tested ourselves last week as we were both bunged up! Now I've booked my booster am 57-but there weren't slots till 22nd DEc-do i try again?

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Result, Negative, now for a Hot Toddy. 😩
Enjoy!

I will say that my Niece did 5 lateral flow tests that were all negative, but she was still feeling really ill. Had a PCR test that came back positive.

Similar thing happened to one of the teachers my wife works with

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy!

I will say that my Niece did 5 lateral flow tests that were all negative, but she was still feeling really ill. Had a PCR test that came back positive.

Similar thing happened to one of the teachers my wife works with
Our granddaughter had exactly the opposite. Two LFT strongly positive. PCR negative. But she had the symptoms of Covid so she stayed off school and work etc. and got to feel better within a few days at home. It was rife in her school and we suspect that her PCR test was analysed by the laboratory currently under investigation.

Her and her mother take regular LFT, especially her mum who visits care homes or vulnerable elderly at home.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reading a few article stoday the real question is which is worse the Infuenza variants or Covid? The Jury is out? Ant thoughts anyone?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reading a few article stoday the real question is which is worse the Infuenza variants or Covid? The Jury is out? Ant thoughts anyone?
Not having had covid, thank heavens, I can say that a bout of flu is best avoided if at all possible. We both had flu in our mid forties and it was very unpleasant. Chills and fever, headaches, totally drained and feeling cold despite warm clothing and heating on full. I had three weeks off of work before I even felt anything like going into work. Never ever had any more than a few days off of work at a stretch and then not many of those. When I did get back to work I was on the telephone to a doctor in Portsmouth who I worked closely with, and his first comment was " Are you sure that you should be back at work, you sound awful" Even after feeling better it still took a while before energy levels really got back to normal.

Having had pneumonia twice I can say that flu was very much more unpleasant, and of course whereas pneumonia responded quickly to antibiotics flu just drags on and on until the body eventually kicks it out. So when I reached the age of NHS vaccinations I made sure I had both flu and pneumonia jabs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you can make a concise comparison. Evidence from previous flu epidemics shows that some can be very serious even fatal on a scale greater than we have seen with Covid. But there are now many differnt variables which might affect the prognosis following infection, for example.

Every time there is a major health event, new an innovative solutions are developed. Not to mention the expansion of the knowledge base on how to handle such events. However as Covid has proven, Mother Nature still has plenty of tricks up her sleeve to throw at us and to test our responses, and occasionally she releases something new for which we aren't prepared.

The speed at which vaccines for Covid have been developed and deployed is many times faster than for things like the early 20the century Spanish Flu, meaning we have been able to reduce infections earlier in the pandemic, and probably have saved my thousands of lives.

The medical interventions we have mustered for Covid are vastly more numerous and advanced than those available in 1918, so hospitals can save more lives when patients have severe symptoms, people who would have been untreatable in 1918.

If our response to covid-19 was only been the same as for the Spanish Flu, who knows how many lives would be lost.

There are lessons to be learnt, and I hope they will be taken on board so that future pandemics can be handled even better, but Mother Nature's is more than capable of throwing us another curved ball.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am posting this warning here as it seems relevant to the topic.

This evening my wife received a text from the ‘NHS’. Which is not unusual. I was first suspicious because it said it was from ‘info at NHS’. Here is the text with link.

AF2C3347-4A55-4CE6-88D5-0A5145D1F506.png
We would not usually click on a link from an unknown source, but this was extremely genuine in appearance and has appeared at a time when we are recently fully jabbed and there is talk about the Possible use of passes. So I did. The site it directed us to also looked authentic. All looked good until we got to the screen asking for £4.99 for the pass.

C37AFDD8-3125-43AA-AFF0-D4FE396E54CB.png

Even at this stage I needed to show the wife the proper way to get a free pass via the NHS app In order to convince her.

Needless to say, I did not proceed.

Don’t be taken in by this scam. Please pass this on to all you can.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I receive this in my email address today it making me wonder if it a Scam
NHS order a PCR test for the Omicron Variant there was a link but i did not click it did not look right

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS