Covid booster jab

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've had all 4 jabs(3covid and 1 flu).
I don't understand all those figures the gov spews out - high take up of vaccination but also highest no of deaths compared to to say Germany
I'm not surprised some are suspicious of the jabs - it took the Germans to make us aware of blood clots side effect
I would not go as far as to suggest the UK's response to the C19 was particularly good, as any deaths from C19 was regrettable. But it's far to simplistic just to look at the total number of deaths as a means of comparing countries.

Yes, - With the benefit of hind sight we might approach a similar virus in a better way, but at the time we did not have that hind sight.

I also think there are some inherent social reasons why we see a very different response in the UK to most of Europe, Too many Brits, seem to think its all over, and have dropped their guard and ditched social distancing and taking simple precautions such as face coverings in enclosed public places like shops.

I was in Tesco's a few days ago, and despite the shop playing messages encouraging people and staff to socially distance and wear face coverings, i'd estimate less than 5% people were wearing masks, and the barging close to other people is almost as bad as it was before the pandemic. Being vulnerable, it's very worrying.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would not go as far as to suggest the UK's response to the C19 was particularly good, as any deaths from C19 was regrettable. But it's far to simplistic just to look at the total number of deaths as a means of comparing countries.

Yes, - With the benefit of hind sight we might approach a similar virus in a better way, but at the time we did not have that hind sight.

I also think there are some inherent social reasons why we see a very different response in the UK to most of Europe, Too many Brits, seem to think its all over, and have dropped their guard and ditched social distancing and taking simple precautions such as face coverings in enclosed public places like shops.

I was in Tesco's a few days ago, and despite the shop playing messages encouraging people and staff to socially distance and wear face coverings, i'd estimate less than 5% people were wearing masks, and the barging close to other people is almost as bad as it was before the pandemic. Being vulnerable, it's very worrying.

I think we should all continue to follow our PMs advice given at a press conference about two months ago……”Hands, face and space”.

Notwithstanding my wife has organised me a birthday meal tonight for the family at a local pub and there will be eight of us ranging from 74 to 16. All except the 16 year old are fully up to date with vaccinations and boosters. The 16 year old has exercised her right not to be vaccinated but caught covid during half term. We will all use a RFT today prior to meeting up, although apart from the Welsh contingent we meet up frequently anyway..

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A renal function test?🤪

Amazing how different parts of the UK are dealing with C19. Tesco Cirencester still has a trolley and hand cleaning station. 95% wearing masks and distancing ok at checkouts. Knee hospital now still fully masked separated etc. Happier I have had my booster 👍👍

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A renal function test?🤪

Amazing how different parts of the UK are dealing with C19. Tesco Cirencester still has a trolley and hand cleaning station. 95% wearing masks and distancing ok at checkouts. Knee hospital now still fully masked separated etc. Happier I have had my booster 👍👍
Must bee my dyslexia crepeing up on me. 😅 Certainly not the Wadworths yet.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A renal function test?🤪

LIDL in Malvern still has the hand and trolley cleaning station. Morrisons and many other stores and pubs have zilch. Cannot remember which place it was but a large store had the big notice outside regarding masks and cleaning, but no sanitiser inside and none of the staff wearing masks. We are trying our best and now carry sanitiser in the car plus gloves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A renal function test?🤪

Do you use the LFT at all. We use them if going to see friends either at a house or venue. Our daughter and granddaughter use them every other day or sometimes daily in daughters case if she is visiting care homes or community patients.
Our granddaughters LFT picked up covid twice just at the beginning of half term. But the PCR came back negative. All the same she was grounded. She had all he symptoms and we suspect her PCR was one of those sent to the laboratory which is being investigated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Do you use the LFT at all. We use them if going to see friends either at a house or venue. Our daughter and granddaughter use them every other day or sometimes daily in daughters case if she is visiting care homes or community patients.
Our granddaughters LFT picked up covid twice just at the beginning of half term. But the PCR came back negative. All the same she was grounded. She had all he symptoms and we suspect her PCR was one of those sent to the laboratory which is being investigated.
SWMBO did her LFT today post being at Villa Saturday. Until mum died I did it every week will do it again Saturday after being at the knee hospital this morning.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You can pop into most community pharmacy shops and pick up free boxes of LFT's
Also you can recieve a pack of 7 tests by using the NHS covid app on a smart Phone, open the App and go to the "Testing for Covid". The pack arrives within 2 to 3 days. Handy if you cannot get to a Pharmacy.

You now need to get a collect code from HMG to collect the lateral flow tests kits, frm a pharmacy, you can get this code from the NHS covid app as well.
They are not making it easy.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sometimes devolved powers are good and sometimes not.

The daily rules here in Scotland, to me at least, make more sense than those in England. We still have to wear facemasks in public places. Although complacency is creeping in with noticeably more people not wearing masks - still a very small number in comparison, though, to those that are but more than a few months back.

However, the Scottish Apps at somewhat disconnected from the rest of the UK. Not only that we have one for Track and Trace, another to Check In at a Location and now yet another for a Vaccine Passport which I wont use because of the way in which identity checks are made. We just asked for a paper one.

I went into a Costa a while back in Inverness. They don't use the NHS Check In QR codes but have their own. I was told they are on each table. Yes they are, but the tables are wiped over so often you cant use the QR code as its almost invisible and I think you need the Costa App and there's no internet or phone signal. But then I didn't want Costa tracking me either.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
how do you access a LFT on a regular basis? We use a thermometer and a oximeter every day to check ourselves.
Didn’t realise that thermometer and oximetry can be used for covid especially when some people can be infectious and not have any symptoms, even when double jabbed and boosted.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Also you can recieve a pack of 7 tests by using the NHS covid app on a smart Phone, open the App and go to the "Testing for Covid". The pack arrives within 2 to 3 days. Handy if you cannot get to a Pharmacy.

You now need to get a collect code from HMG to collect the lateral flow tests kits, frm a pharmacy, you can get this code from the NHS covid app as well.
That’s because Joe Anon would be collecting seven days worth for each family member. But it’s still very easy to arrange either by post or collection.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes devolved powers are good and sometimes not.

The daily rules here in Scotland, to me at least, make more sense than those in England. We still have to wear facemasks in public places. Although complacency is creeping in with noticeably more people not wearing masks - still a very small number in comparison, though, to those that are but more than a few months back.

However, the Scottish Apps at somewhat disconnected from the rest of the UK. Not only that we have one for Track and Trace, another to Check In at a Location and now yet another for a Vaccine Passport which I wont use because of the way in which identity checks are made. We just asked for a paper one.

I went into a Costa a while back in Inverness. They don't use the NHS Check In QR codes but have their own. I was told they are on each table. Yes they are, but the tables are wiped over so often you cant use the QR code as its almost invisible and I think you need the Costa App and there's no internet or phone signal. But then I didn't want Costa tracking me either.
I suspect if you have one of their loyalty cards they can track you anyway.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

That’s because Joe Anon would be collecting seven days worth for each family member. But it’s still very easy to arrange either by post or collection.
I ordered another pack yesterday, after I posted on here, and it has just arrived in the mail,this morning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The new Covid variation named Omicron that seems to have arisen in South Africa has been declared by the WHO as a variant of major concern. The UK and a number of other countries are tightening up on prevention methods by stopping international flights from the countries with outbreaks.

There are official concerns that this ne variant might have found new methods of infection and our present vaccines may not be as effective at preventing or reducing the infection or its outcomes.

Already there have been outbreaks reported in some European countries and elsewhere around the globe, apparently related to travelers from the affected regions.

Given the apparent malaise with which the bulk of the UK population seem to show regarding the dangers of Covid infections, its only a matter of time before someone brings it to our shores, and starts another major wave in the UK.

I also expect before very long we will see some forum members complaining about having their foreign holiday plans shattered by travel or quarantine restrictions.

Get used to it becasue new variants of Covid are going to continually pop up until the vast majority of the world's population are vaccinated or have developed immunity.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In South Africa apparently all you get is one Covid jab and that is your lot. You have to pay for the second jab.
No wonder another variant emerged, but whether it originated from SA or Hong Kong is debatable as many Chinese, the new colonists, travel a lot between the two countries.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In South Africa apparently all you get is one Covid jab and that is your lot. You have to pay for the second jab.
No wonder another variant emerged, but whether it originated from SA or Hong Kong is debatable as many Chinese, the new colonists, travel a lot between the two countries.
Since the clusters in Southern Africa are more localised and there seems to be only a single case in Hong Kong why do you think the Chinese are to blame. Most reports indicate it was a South African traveller who noticeably was only wearing a mask that did not filter exhaled air when in the hotel and aircraft.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Since the clusters in Southern Africa are more localised and there seems to be only a single case in Hong Kong why do you think the Chinese are to blame. Most reports indicate it was a South African traveller who noticeably was only wearing a mask that did not filter exhaled air when in the hotel and aircraft.
BTW where did the pandemic originate? In South Africa or China?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BTW where did the pandemic originate? In South Africa or China?
That wasn’t the question in your previous post. As far as this new case is concerned the transmission into Hong Kong was via a South African visitor. But the question of real importance is for the health authorities to try and clamp down on its spread whilst the scientific community study its characteristics for transmission and virulence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That wasn’t the question in your previous post. As far as this new case is concerned the transmission into Hong Kong was via a South African visitor. But the question of real importance is for the health authorities to try and clamp down on its spread whilst the scientific community study its characteristics for transmission and virulence.
However we would not have a pandemic if it wasn't for China which everyone seems to have forgotten about. I agree regarding health authorities clamping down on its spread. They reakon it will take about 100 days to develop a new anti virus according to Chief Medical Officer in Kwazulu Natal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it is wholly unnecessary to try and apportion blame on any nation for the emergence of a viral strain unless it was deliberately manufactured, and in this case there is no evidence Covid 19 or this latest strain was manufactured.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to Professor Witty the Omnicron variant doesn’t concern him as much as the Delta . Seems to me we have to live with regular variants appearing like the Influenza variants. In my area the C19 patients are mostly non vaccers🤬.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts