CR- 2.2EX CDI

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello All,

Have been away for last 8 weeks round UK with van and CR-V. I am now thinking of changing the van to something like the Bailey Sancerre which has a mtplm of around 1445 kg. Currently we tow around 1300 kg and the combination is fine - no problems whatsoever. However I read an article in PC about one of the correspondents towing with this combination, ( CR-V plus Bailey Sancerre

) and the writer- Mark Bigault - seemed to think that the size of the van presented a problem. He said that the size of the van - rather than the weight - presented a stability problem that was apparently taken care of by the ATC. I would feel much happier if the general stability of the van was good, without relying on ATC. On one site we visited briefly, I saw a CR-V that was paired with a Compass Omega 544, which has a far greater mtplm than the combination that I am considering - but I never saw the owner to speak with. Has anyone got a similiar combination to the one that I am considering, and, if so, do they have any comments.( Sorry to question the opinion of a writer in PC, but always have slight reservations about their opinions!)

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rod we have a 2008 CRV 2.2CDTI EX and have towed A Swift Charisma 620 @1640 kilos and a Europa 620 @ 1670 kilos, tows up all but steepest hills in 6th gear, holding 60-70 in sixth with no trouble at this speed we get between 21-25 holding 60 0nly we get 25-28mpg, it will handle 1445 no problem.

regards

Ian

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
rod

As a matter of interest, how did pc know the ATC had cut in?

Is they a dashboard indicator?

Obviously a longer van will be more susceptible to passing vehicles, and side winds.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Ray,

He did not actually write that the ATC cut in, but that the fact that it was fitted to the Bailey made him stop worrying that the van could get 'truly out of shape'. He also has Honda Trailer Stability to fall back on - but I would sooner have a stable outfit in the first place! ( As a side issue, I wonder how ATC and Trailer Stability work together - or do they work against each other??) In his article Mark inferred that the size of the van was the problem, rather than the weight.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rod one

We towed a Pageant Burgundy (the same length as the Sancerre 7.19m) with a Kia Sportage 2.0 diesel and had absolutely no problems with the length affecting stability.

That's towing right through the year, couldn't follow what his problem was really. Would have thought the CR-V would be an ideal towcar.

Best regards

Tomo

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hello Ray,

He did not actually write that the ATC cut in, but that the fact that it was fitted to the Bailey made him stop worrying that the van could get 'truly out of shape'. He also has Honda Trailer Stability to fall back on - but I would sooner have a stable outfit in the first place! ( As a side issue, I wonder how ATC and Trailer Stability work together - or do they work against each other??) In his article Mark inferred that the size of the van was the problem, rather than the weight.
ATC and Trailer Stability don't act against each other. Whichever is the more sensitive will react first and the other will remain idle so long as the first was able to restore stability (which should always be the case). If you have both systems, one can be considered as a backup.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We have a Pageant Bretagne S7 (same length as a Sancerre)which we tow with a 08 Zafira 150 CDTi and we have no stability issues, the only minor issue we have is with the ruts in lane 1 sometimes, but we also notice it with the car solo.

From memory, the CRV can take more than the 75kg noseweight we are restricted to so you should have no problems.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies - all very reasurring. We went to see the Sanscerre and the California yesterday, but stocks are pretty well gone ! I am off again on travels from next week,-( for eleven weeks), so hopefully while I am away I will be able to find a Swift dealer with their versions of the same layout, and make some comparisons.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies - all very reasurring. We went to see the Sanscerre and the California yesterday, but stocks are pretty well gone ! I am off again on travels from next week,-( for eleven weeks), so hopefully while I am away I will be able to find a Swift dealer with their versions of the same layout, and make some comparisons.
Hi there i tow a mendip magnum (compass corona)534 fully laden 1430kg with a crv mk3 diesel absolutley no problem its got a better tow ball weight than my old santa fe 100kg against 85kg which shows as soon as i hitch up sits more level a great tow car the cruise control works well when towing hope i was helpful duncan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts