CRA 2015 and failed repair!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 11 year old Miele washing machine broke down in January 2021 and needed a repair at a cost of £249. The repair was done on 6th Jan. The cost included all spares no matter what was required. If the machine was uneconomical to repair the amount would be credited against a new machine. Also included the cost of any further call outs for the year so we decided to go ahead.

Anyway technician came and did the repair and all was well until Monday this week when the machine broke down again with the same fault. Approximately 6 weeks after the repair. Missus is obviously not very happy as she has a stack of washing which is accumulating every day. The repair man can only visit this Friday to do the repair.

As per CRA 2015 we have to give them one chance at a repair before we request a refund. In the meantime the clock stops until the repair has been done to the satisfaction of both parties extending the 6 month time period.

If the machine breaks down again within the 6 months, can I assume I can request a full refund of the £249 as the money could then be used against the purchase of a another machine. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman,
I‘ve taken this from Which? Website CRA2015 in relation to Services provided as with your Miele.

Minimum standards that apply include:
  • The trader must perform the service with reasonable care and skill.
  • Information that is spoken or written is binding where the consumer relies on it.
  • Where the price is not agreed beforehand, the service must be provided for a reasonable price.
  • Unless a particular timescale for performing the service is set out or agreed, the service must be carried out in a reasonable time.
If the service you’re provided doesn’t satisfy these criteria, you’re entitled to the following remedies under the Consumer Rights Act:
  • The trader should either redo the element of the service that's inadequate, or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you, within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.
  • Or, in circumstances where the repeat performance is impossible, or can’t be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. Depending on how severe the failings are, this could be up to 100% of the cost, and the trader should refund you within 14 days of agreeing that you're entitled to a refund.
My view is if the final repair fails or doesn’t last the six months you get a full refund towards a new Miele per the contract you entered into.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have three Miele machines, washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher all bought at about the same time. Previously in a previous residence we had a Miele appliances and no issue. This is the first time we have had a Miele machine breakdown.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have three Miele machines, washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher all bought at about the same time. Previously in a previous residence we had a Miele appliances and no issue. This is the first time we have had a Miele machine breakdown.
They are good but 11 years regular service is excellent service. . Even the EU are only planning to hold makers to a 10 year repairable life.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They are good but 11 years regular service is excellent service. . Even the EU are only planning to hold makers to a 10 year repairable life.
Some of the newer Miele machines come with a 10 year warranty. You pay more than most other machines, but generally they are reliable and long lasting. Life expectancy is approximately 20 years. Our current washing machine was one of the cheaper Miele ones way back in 2010 so works out at about £65 per annum over the past 11 years.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not that my cat is blacker but our Miele Turbothermic dish washer is now 16 years old. I had to change the soap dispenser four years ago otherwise it’s been excellent. Similarly our old Bosch washing machine failed after 18 years. SWMBO would have killed me if I had insisted on a repair. A new “intelligent” Bosch resides in the utility room with a 5 year guarantee.
Where do white good manufacturers get these weird names from ? Turbothermic🤪🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We noticed quite a reduction in electric and water usage when we moved from a 12 year old machine to a new one, and noise too.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Totally agree about Miele - their vacs are good as well!
Needed a tumble dryer suddenly and urgently in late 2018 so bought a Bosch. No complaints there either.
A friend in Germany has an AEG washer that is over 40 years old and apart from a drive belt replacement has never hicupped once!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The new Miele intelligent washing machines offer automatic dispensing of detergents plus correct amount of water for load. Also have wifi connection so you can control it from an app on your phone. Useful if away from the machine. OH fancies the one with theTwinDos and Powerwash which allows you to clean one article. Powerwash would be handy for us dog & cat owners with dirty paws on clean bedspreads! LOL! :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The new Miele intelligent washing machines offer automatic dispensing of detergents plus correct amount of water for load. Also have wifi connection so you can control it from an app on your phone. Useful if away from the machine. OH fancies the one with theTwinDos and Powerwash which allows you to clean one article. Powerwash would be handy for us dog & cat owners with dirty paws on clean bedspreads! LOL! :)
Must admit when I look at our washing machine the plethora of programmes bemuses me. So if I’m doing any dobie I just use 30 deg C and eco and just leave it. Mind you I only touch it if my wife’s away and then 24 hours before she returns. Just time to get it all back in the wardrobe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Must admit when I look at our washing machine the plethora of programmes bemuses me. So if I’m doing any dobie I just use 30 deg C and eco and just leave it. Mind you I only touch it if my wife’s away and then 24 hours before she returns. Just time to get it all back in the wardrobe.
Just a pity that it does not do the ironing also. :)

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The latest Bosch has another buzz phrase. Intelligent Dosing System . Like Buckman’s Miele it responds to wifi mobile phone. Madness. It’s just a washing machine or is it? No soap powder? Only uses a liquid stuff but very very little. I was sceptical at first but must say all the washing comes out very clean. Nothing to do with me. I’m still learning how to use an IPad.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The latest Bosch has another buzz phrase. Intelligent Dosing System . Like Buckman’s Miele it responds to wifi mobile phone. Madness. It’s just a washing machine or is it? No soap powder? Only uses a liquid stuff but very very little. I was sceptical at first but must say all the washing comes out very clean. Nothing to do with me. I’m still learning how to use an IPad.
Same here with an iron. I only use one for ironing outdoor clothing to improve water repellency Shirts live under sweaters and handkerchiefs go into pockets.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Also have wifi connection so you can control it from an app on your phone.

Useful if away from the machine.

Umm who loads the machine....cos you aint there :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also have wifi connection so you can control it from an app on your phone.

Useful if away from the machine.

Umm who loads the machine....cos you aint there :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Useful if you have switched on the machine and are busy doing something else in another room. Useful also if you have loaded the machine and then when out and about switch it on so that when you arrive home the washing is finished. However I agree that is more of a marketing gadget than anything else. Probably use it once or twice and then not bother. :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Then when you eventually get home, you find there was a power cut due to the grid being overloaded with everyone charging their phones to be able to turn on the kettle for a cup of tea and the fridge didn't reorder the milk as someone put orange juice where the milk should have been .

Too much reliance on wastefull technology.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts